Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil Leaks covered under warranty?

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2009, 11:33 AM
D2R
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Corndog
My 2007 RKC did the same thing. I caught it and had it repaired 2 days before my original 2 year warranty expired. The service manager said it was a good thing that it happened during the original warranty because it would not have been covered under my extended warranty. Don't know if that's a fact, but that's what he told me. They do have to split the cases and replace the gasket.
Can't imagine it not being covered under an extended warranty purchased before the leak occured.

Old 07-06-2009, 11:33 AM
kst8catfan
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Clint55
Maybe I'm missing something here, but the idea of purchasing a new warranty to avoid the cost of fixing a problem that you already know about seems a little on the south side of honorable.
It's done daily at auto dealerships. And they offer it, so why not? Playing by their rules.

I guess I've never understood why some Harley dealers have taken on the reputation of not wanting to do warranty work. They make just as much profit from doing things under warranty as they do with normal service work. In my younger days, working with auto dealers, most were chomping at the bit to take on warranty repairs. There was no selling involved.

Old 07-06-2009, 12:27 PM
Clint55
Road Warrior
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by kst8catfan
It's done daily at auto dealerships. And they offer it, so why not? Playing by their rules.
WOW!! This is great news for everyone who owns a bike that is now out of warranty. They can just wait until they have a major problem like a blown engine or tranny and then buy the warranty to fix the problem.

Good luck with that.

Old 07-06-2009, 12:49 PM
HD-EZ2NV
Cruiser

Originally Posted by RE AND CHERYL
To my knowledge, once your originally warrenty expires you cannot buy the factory extended warranty.
See H/D website:
http://www.harley-davidson.com/wcm/C...p?locale=en_us

Old 07-06-2009, 02:17 PM
BadBobOk
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Oh my god. Your Harley leaks? Say it isn't true.

My '07 RKC started leaking tranny fluid at 14k and the primary started to leak at 22k. I never turned it in on warranty because, as a general rule, the dealer will *** up as much or more than they will fix.

As far as the extended warranty goes, it would probably cost you as much for the warranty and the attorney fees to force them to honor it as it would to just pay to get it fixed. Less hassle too.

Old 07-06-2009, 02:36 PM
nocages4me
Tourer

Originally Posted by kst8catfan

I guess I've never understood why some Harley dealers have taken on the reputation of not wanting to do warranty work. They make just as much profit from doing things under warranty as they do with normal service work. In my younger days, working with auto dealers, most were chomping at the bit to take on warranty repairs. There was no selling involved.
I agree that you would think that they want the work, however they make more money on non-warranty work because they can charge the actual hours worked where as warranty is paid at what the factory says it takes to tear it down and put it back together. As we all know if the HD says 2 hours for a job it is going to take 3 or 4 because we all run into issue during tear down or reassembly. Plus they would rather put on accessories and charge a fortune for that instead.

Old 07-06-2009, 03:19 PM
toadmanor
Road Captain

OK, so my 2007 Ultra is doing the same thing...a drop here and there. Dealer says its an Inner Primary Leak. So is this just a gasket replacement? He said four hors to fix it.

Can it be done in my garage?

Old 07-06-2009, 03:21 PM
nocages4me
Tourer

Originally Posted by toadmanor
OK, so my 2007 Ultra is doing the same thing...a drop here and there. Dealer says its an Inner Primary Leak. So is this just a gasket replacement? He said four hors to fix it.

Can it be done in my garage?
Inner primary isn't too bad you can do it. Just pull the outer and inner primaries.

Old 07-06-2009, 03:27 PM
toadmanor
Road Captain

Originally Posted by nocages4me
Inner primary isn't too bad you can do it. Just pull the outer and inner primaries.
So it is just replacing the gaskets then?

Old 07-06-2009, 03:50 PM
fxlowboy
Tourer

On my Ultra 07 with 18,000 miles i found a leak on the lip seal from the inner primary ,guaranty is over so i do the job myself

Attached Thumbnails Oil Leaks covered under warranty?-dscn0050.jpg  

Quick Reply: Oil Leaks covered under warranty?