Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

crack in the chrome on t-rex pipes

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2006, 03:32 PM
rollover
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: crack in the chrome on t-rex pipes

Just got done filing a claim with Paypal to see if maybe that will light a candle under this guys ***. Even though the funds were transfered from my checking account I guess there still is some type of recourse. Still wish this was on my credit card as disputing the charges that way is much easier. He hasn't responded to my latest email stating the things I was told by Hard Krome about the return and replacement procedure. Another set of pipes may be in order as I am not exactly overjoyed with the fact that Hard Krome won't step in here and help with their own process. Guess that tells you something also.

Old 05-22-2006, 03:48 PM
ptoemmes
Advanced

Your latest "move" re: Paypal is likley to send your relationship with the retailer into the crapper if it's not already there.

BTW - I agree with your "move" there.

I think you need to "lean" on HK so as to be able to deal with them direct. Tell them without unduly disparaging the retailer that you can no longer deal with them on this matter - that's just the way it is.

IMHO it comes down to an accounting exercise - in a perfect world HK ends up with the pipes from the retailer - you would jsut be shortcutting the process so it seems.

I cannot see why a stand up company - and hopefully HK is - would nto intervene in an apparently well documented case like this.

Good luck,

Pete

Old 05-22-2006, 03:56 PM
rollover
Road Captain

Relationship was already in the crapper with this guy. Just thought I would fire a shot across the bow. I wanted to get this documented with Paypal ASAP as they also have a time limit on filing. I am somewhat racing against time here as the warranty only has 90 days and the Paypal dispute also is time limited. Seeing as this could have been a really quick and easy fix and it hasn't ended up that way, just thought I would repay the aggravation. I really have nothing to lose at this point. I think this thread speaks volumes about American Classic Motors. Worse comes to worse and I will just keep the pipes on my bike for the summer and go to all the rides I can so when people ask about the pipes I can explain how neither Hard Krome nor ACM would rectify the situation.

Old 05-22-2006, 04:02 PM
rollover
Road Captain

here's one of the first emails I got from them where the backpeddling begins:

FYI. ifs its at the head it could of been broken by the installer trying to squeeze in a socket/ wrench in there. Its very tight with the large diameter pipe. Ive installed these before and is many times necessary to use several tools to get in there, if its forced that could be the result. Not implying anything, u might just want to keep that in the back of your mind for when the manufacturer looks at it.

-------------- Original message --------------

I ordered a set of Hard Krome T-rex pipes from you guy’s a couple of weeks ago and had my bike in the shop so the install had to wait until I got my bike back. I installed them Friday and now today(Sunday) I went to take some pics of the bike and noticed that there is a crack in the chrome on the rear pipe. I need to know what the process is to get a replacement set. The pipes are on my bike now and I would like to keep them on until I receive a new set. The stock pipes are not able to be put back on as I did a complete stage 1 upgrade and the stock pipes won’t work with my setup. I am going to include a pic of the crack so you can see what I am talking about. Please let me know what needs to be done so we can get this rectified as soon as possible. Hope to hear from you soon. Joe Richert(Cityboy21)

Old 05-22-2006, 04:02 PM
100thRK
Elite HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Rollover sorry for the problems I hope they work out and I sure they will. In the big picture of things we all benefit from your trouble. That is one of the reasons this Forum is so great.

Old 05-22-2006, 04:04 PM
rollover
Road Captain

this one was their next reply which shows they have no clue what they are talking about:

appeared to be 4 or 5 inches awat from the head where the socket would be used with an extensions. Anyway let me know if you want to contact the manufacturer first or send them back.

-------------- Original message --------------

The crack is not at the head where the bolts are. You can see in the picture that it is at the u-shaped bend of the rear pipe. This was definitely not installer error. The chrome is flaking at the bottom of the crack and can be peeled away as if something was on the pipe prior to chroming.

Old 05-22-2006, 04:32 PM
HD Renegade
Road Warrior

Sorry to hear of the issues you are having on the Pipes.

Mine have been and are still fine. As for mounting points that someone posted, the long pipes does have "3 mounting points." I have not had any problems with these pipes or the DG HK pipes that I still have on a V-Star either. I rode 7200 miles on my V-Star last year, and the pipes still look new.

I think that i would also have a long talk with Hard Krome too, and go from there.

Bob

Old 05-22-2006, 05:38 PM
jfanton
Road Captain

ORIGINAL: HD Renegade

Mine have been and are still fine. As for mounting points that someone posted, the long pipes does have "3 mounting points." I have not had any problems with these pipes or the DG HK pipes that I still have on a V-Star either. I rode 7200 miles on my V-Star last year, and the pipes still look new.

I think that i would also have a long talk with Hard Krome too, and go from there.

Bob
Bountyhunter once posted that the trans bracket is eliminated leading me to believe that the front pipe is only bolted on at the exhaust port and under the bag rail. And as we all now know, there is no starter bracket for the rear pipe.

Old 05-22-2006, 05:56 PM
HD Renegade
Road Warrior

ORIGINAL: jfanton

ORIGINAL: HD Renegade

Bob
Bountyhunter once posted that the trans bracket is eliminated leading me to believe that the front pipe is only bolted on at the exhaust port and under the bag rail. And as we all now know, there is no starter bracket for the rear pipe.
Mine has the bracket on the trans, I agree that it should have the 3 support points to it.

Bob

Old 05-22-2006, 06:15 PM
MiniMe
Road Master

Bountyhunter....................where are Youuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu.

Quick Reply: crack in the chrome on t-rex pipes