Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

crack in the chrome on t-rex pipes

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2006, 11:21 PM
Topper
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: crack in the chrome on t-rex pipes

ORIGINAL: zubaugh

My T-rex 3" Ture Duals are in a dumpster in Chatsworth. Total junk!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I was on the road when I noticed a hole in the right side. I had very little choice. Either continue my 3700 mile ride with the Hard Krome juck or toss them and put on a decent set.

I had neither the time or inclination to deal with Hard Krome. So I tossed their $730 pipes and replaced them with Rinehart 2-1. Better performance and gas mileage. Plus I got rid of my ear plugs. T-rex has an obnoxiously loud high roar that gave me a headache after several hours. Don't think the hole in the pipe made much difference.

Bottom line is Hard Krome quality sucks. They look nice, granted but the Rinehart 2-1 boosted my HP/Torque by 10 and MPG by 20. I'll suffer with the look.

Just returned from Bryce Canyon 2up with the wife. While cruising between 35 and 60 I got an amazing 56 mpg while my Dyno run was 75 HP and 80 Torque. T-Rex couldn't get anything like that!

2-1 Pipe is smokin, sorry about the misfortune, but like you said, you now have scalded dog between the legs![sm=closed.gif]

Old 05-21-2006, 11:51 PM
04RoadKing
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Bummer deal on the T-REX pipes, I feal for you bro. I had problems with my true dual Rineharts a few years ago. The Dealer where I bought them pretty much told me that I was **** out of luck and to talk to Bub's. So I did and they took care of the Problem. They sent me a new rear header pipe, but I had to send them the damaged one or they where going to charge $100.00 to my credit card. So I'm sure if you contact Hard Chrome and tell the what's going I'd hope they would take care of you. I've sence gotten rid of the Rineharts becuse of other issues. Good luck.....
OH yeah, where is bountyhunter ? I haven't heard from him yet.

Old 05-22-2006, 12:33 AM
wnogood
Banned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

From what I am seeing here.....it makes me wonder if Hard Krome and Rinehardt are sister companies. Sometimes I even surprise myself by making the right decision and using a proven company.....Vance and Hines. An old Harley biker told me once....."You can buy cheaper stuff, but there aint nothing that beats the Vance and Hines quality in chrome" I must say he was right.

nogood o~`o

Old 05-22-2006, 01:14 AM
Bruce00
Extreme HDF Member
Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

My T-rex 3" Ture Duals are in a dumpster in Chatsworth. Total junk!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I was on the road when I noticed a hole in the right side. I had very little choice. Either continue my 3700 mile ride with the Hard Krome juck or toss them and put on a decent set.

I had neither the time or inclination to deal with Hard Krome. So I tossed their $730 pipes and replaced them with Rinehart 2-1. Better performance and gas mileage. Plus I got rid of my ear plugs. T-rex has an obnoxiously loud high roar that gave me a headache after several hours. Don't think the hole in the pipe made much difference.

Bottom line is Hard Krome quality sucks. They look nice, granted but the Rinehart 2-1 boosted my HP/Torque by 10 and MPG by 20. I'll suffer with the look.

Just returned from Bryce Canyon 2up with the wife. While cruising between 35 and 60 I got an amazing 56 mpg while my Dyno run was 75 HP and 80 Torque. T-Rex couldn't get anything like that!
Not much you can say to that.
Sorry to hear of the wasted $700+ zubaugh, but sometimes you just have to cut your loses and move on. Which is exactly what you did, but with the added bonus of better performance for your bike.

I personally don't think you have to suffer with any look

Old 05-22-2006, 01:24 AM
GliderXXX
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 52 Likes on 38 Posts

As I said before, Hard Kromes "lack of quality" is a pretty well known fact. Way too many complaints over the years.

Old 05-22-2006, 02:12 AM
RBJones
Tourer
Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: Rhubarb

ORIGINAL: rollover

Hey guy's, here is a direct quote from the Hard Krome site under the faq section:

Q: I know your pipes have a 1-year guarantee against bluing. Can you tell me if they are also warranted as well?
A: The Hard-Krome pipes carry a 90-day warranty against manufacturer defects and a 1-year guarantee against bluing. If your pipes are less than 90 days, the pipes will need to be returned to the retail establishment they were purchased from. Our distributor carries a 90-day warranty for us. Or you can contact our customer service at 1(800) 854-9134.

Interesting how this company can sell Hard Krome products and yet state that they have no said warranty concerning defects in the product when in fact Hard Krome states the distributor carries a 90 day warranty for them. After close to a dozen emails going back and forth, this guy is now threatening me with a slander lawsuit if he finds any posts about this situation. What does that tell you.
Slander implies you are making up the truth. Posting anything including the emails sent by them are not slanderous.

Gotta love good customer service, especially the kind that ends in threats of lawsuit if you expose their ways.

He couldn't sue you for slander anyway. Slander is orally making remarks that are untrue in order to damage a person or their reputation. He could sue you for liable, which is when you print something that's untrue with the intent to harm someone's reputation. But so far, you've just layed out the facts. And you haven't accused anyone of criminal intent or made up anything that isn't the facts as you know them. The defense against liable is the truth. I used to be a newspaper man, so I know this stuff.

Looks to me that whatever occurs, the ultimate responsibility lies with Hard Krome to make it right. Hard Krome is supposed to monitor it's distributors and dealers and make sure its products are sold and supported properly.

Old 05-22-2006, 06:01 AM
vegashd
Banned

looks like you need a real tuner!!! He got lucky with the second set yyou installed. I am getting your numbers on my bike all day long in 100+ degree temps in high altitude

Old 05-22-2006, 08:43 AM
dgator66
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I won't see my bike again until early July, so I have been buying accessories and having them shipped to my home. That way, I can start upgrading when I take R and R. You guys just saved me a bunch of wasted money and headache by discussing this problem on the Forum. I was looking at the T-rexs, but now I know WHAT I won't buy and WHO I won't purchase anything from. You should give this jackass the link to this Forum, if you already haven't. If he doesn't understand that word of mouth is the best advertisement, he is an idiot. I hope it gets worked out for you.

Old 05-22-2006, 10:02 AM
rollover
Road Captain

Not sure how Hard Krome is going to handle this situation but will find out today. Now this clown is back peddling saying I am to ship the pipes to him to be forwarded on to Hard Krome. Not what he was saying all along. He compared my dilema with a problem he had with an ipod he bought off of Ebay for his wife that froze the 2nd day he had it. He says he contacted the seller who told him that he had to deal with Apple direct and that he had to eat the cost of shipping. He basically was telling me to do the same thing. Now when I send him the quote from the Hard Krome faq he asks what my point is. He says I am to ship the pipes to him with a note on the outside of the box stating that the contents are to be shipped back to Hard Krome for replacement consideration. First off, this could take forever. Secondly, I don't trust this asshat. Who's to say these pipes don't lay in his garage for the next month just to mess with me. I am going to contact Hard Krome today to see what they want to do and to tell them that I will not deal with American Classic Motors regarding this situation or any other. My whole point of this thread was to inform others of the way ACM takes care of their customers when it comes to follow up after the sale. At least the way it took place in my situation. Don't want others falling into the same trap I have. Word of mouth goes a long way be it good or bad. Guess the pipes won't turn out to be any bargain as I will probably be on the hook for the shipping to Hard Krome.

Old 05-22-2006, 11:17 AM
04RoadKing
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

[sm=confused06.gif] bountyhunter where did you go?

Quick Reply: crack in the chrome on t-rex pipes