Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Inexpensive audible alarm for the Ultra....suggestions?

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2009, 06:26 AM
Dooderhead
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Inexpensive audible alarm for the Ultra....suggestions?

Riding to FL on vacation next week, and part of the time the Ultra will not be in secured parking. With that being said, who has a suggestion on an inexpensive (<$100)/easy to install alarm system for an '08 Ultra? TY in advance. Tom

Old 07-06-2009, 06:52 AM
Jinks
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

A do-it-yourself alarm can be made from a few parts from Radio Shack. You need a micro-switch, a mercury switch, a dual pole/dual throw relay, & a siren.

Wire the DPDT relay to pull up & lock only when the micro-switch is in the ON position & the mercury switch is closed. When it locks up it provides 12V to the siren that'll sound till the micro-switch is turned OFF. Set the mercury switch to close if the bike is shaken, & hide the micro-switch in a locked bag or tour pack. Should cost about $30/$40.

Old 07-06-2009, 06:57 AM
chasswartz
Cruiser

I may be wrong on this, but I think the ultra comes with an alarm, but the siren is an extra cost option. It is very easy to install and is less than $100.

If you have keyfobs, you have the alarm, just install the siren and your good to go. The hardest part of the install is removing the right saddle bag.

Old 07-06-2009, 07:36 AM
dhubley
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Go to this link and read the recommendations to add a siren from Radio Shack.

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touri...s-to-save.html

I installed one in 15 minutes on my RKC with a cost of under $6.

Good Luck,

Old 07-06-2009, 07:48 AM
FLHTCU Owner
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Dooderhead
Riding to FL on vacation next week, and part of the time the Ultra will not be in secured parking. With that being said, who has a suggestion on an inexpensive (<$100)/easy to install alarm system for an '08 Ultra? TY in advance. Tom
I went ahead and put the HD audible alarm on mine. It is plug and play for $79.

Old 07-06-2009, 07:50 AM
tibadoe
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 53 Likes on 33 Posts

On my 09 Ultra the alarm was an option. So I added the HD alarm & siren. Alarm $345 installed, siren $89.

Last edited by tibadoe; 07-06-2009 at 08:12 AM. Reason: Add price
Old 07-06-2009, 08:07 AM
Dooderhead
Tourer

BIG help guys! Can I assume that the Radio Shack alarm is probably somewhat tinny sounding compared to the HD plug n play alarm? And BTW, I can deal with tinny for a $75+ price difference ;-)

Old 07-06-2009, 08:12 AM
rlb5857
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I used 2 Radio Shack sirens, one on each side of the bike under each cover. It's quite loud!!! They chirp twice when the alarm is activated, people always ask what the chirp is! May make someone think twice if they are nearby.

Old 07-06-2009, 08:22 AM
Xcrossbow
Stellar HDF Member
Received 279 Likes on 177 Posts

I bought one of these. It's not a built in alarm which is perhaps what you are looking for but it is a rotor lock and if the bike is moved it has a fairly sensitive loud alarm that goes off. There are different sizes and cost. I bought mine on ebay and am very satisfied with it. I bought it for a trip but decided to use it even when the bike is in my garage.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/NEW-X...Q5fAccessories

Old 07-06-2009, 08:22 AM
FLHTCU Owner
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

The HD audible 'chirps' as well, and screams like a banshee if it goes off. You can tell which bike is alarming that's for sure. Can't speak to the RS alarms, but there's enough on here that have put them on, so it must do the job as well. I just wanted something that I can just plug it in and it's good to go.

Also, with the HD audible you can get the pager to work in combination. Just a thought. Either way, an audible is a good and inexpensive extra pre-caution.

Quick Reply: Inexpensive audible alarm for the Ultra....suggestions?