Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Broken Frame 2009 FLHTCU

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2009, 05:52 PM
OG1
Road Master
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

a frame replacement does not = salvage title. salvage title only applies when insured damage to a vehicle exceeds a certain percentage of market value. HD can issue a new frame with the original VIN on it, it just has to be done through a dealer and the nexk has to be cut off the original frame.

Old 07-06-2009, 06:01 PM
trackadaptor
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by RODEO
Where exactly did YOU claim the frames were all cracking again???? AND besides, that's not a cracked frame, its a missed weld. Big difference. Lastly, those photos are plain old ugly looking and that bike appears to be 10 years old, not an 09. Looks like it was scraped or hit too. I'd wait for the official verdict...

My bike is a 2009 FLHTCU VIN# 1HD1FC4369Y650232

Mother Harley gave me a Reference Number to give San Jose Harley 1002586 based on the photo's that I have attached in this thread.

The frame is Crarcked , Split, has a .40 thick Hole in it - what ever you like to call it, appears to me due to a missed weld.

Location: The Front Round Frame Tube, on the Shifter Side , Lower Weld

Last edited by trackadaptor; 06-29-2016 at 06:50 PM.
Old 07-06-2009, 06:09 PM
trackadaptor
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by n8dc
So where is this exactly on the frame ... is it really a safety issue or can it be ridden till its fixed? just because the weld is missing dont mean the thing is gonna break in half..

.40 Crack , Split - yes the Metal has seperated from each other

Huge Saftey Problem and Not going to Rider her to test out to see if my Aria Helmet and riding gear is really all it claims to be..... :-)

I can not wait until I get her in the shop. Bill - Service Manager is a great guy - not in a gay way..., I just need to maintain my position and let im know it's not his fault, but he needs to work with me, and understand this is my 2nd. Harley POS.

Old 07-06-2009, 06:10 PM
traveler
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by OG1
a frame replacement does not = salvage title. salvage title only applies when insured damage to a vehicle exceeds a certain percentage of market value. HD can issue a new frame with the original VIN on it, it just has to be done through a dealer and the nexk has to be cut off the original frame.
+1 . You cut off the neck and send to the MOCO, and they send a replacement frame with the original VIN number stamped in it.

~Joe

Old 07-06-2009, 06:11 PM
jpooch00
Elite HDF Member
Received 267 Likes on 226 Posts

Originally Posted by leicafish
Some of these post just crack me up. The frame is bad, Harley Davidson will make it good. This is a slam dunk. But comments about tech working on your bike that don't give a damm. Jeeze that doesn't say much for our American workers, plus the techs that I met at my dealer actually consciences guys. Then the guy that says stop payment. Just relax and let the dealer take care of the problem.
Some of you whin worst that GW riders.
Man! I can't believe that you've ever had any dealings with very many H-D service techs or dealers. Most are nothing but hacks that can't find their own a$$es without a computer to tell them where it is. There are a few good ones out there to be sure, but not many. You must have been extremely lucky.

And just relaxing and letting a dealer take care of a serious problem can be like leaving Al Capone in charge of security of a bank.

Last edited by jpooch00; 07-06-2009 at 06:16 PM.
Old 07-06-2009, 06:12 PM
trackadaptor
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by HogFather
for a crack like that on a 09, has to be a missed weld. But like the others claimed you will probably get a new frame out of it.

Missed Weld or Contamination ?

I can see a clean weld on the back side, the front , well the pics tell the entire story...

This is just killing me.........

Last edited by trackadaptor; 06-29-2016 at 06:50 PM.
Old 07-06-2009, 06:23 PM
lp
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,837 Likes on 1,597 Posts

Originally Posted by RODEO
Where exactly did YOU claim the frames were all cracking again???? AND besides, that's not a cracked frame, its a missed weld. Big difference. Lastly, those photos are plain old ugly looking and that bike appears to be 10 years old, not an 09. Looks like it was scraped or hit too. I'd wait for the official verdict...
I had to go look but it is an 09 frame. The scratch to the right of the frame tube must be a reflection coming off of the lowers or something. It did look hit at first glance (because of the two scratches) but seeing now that one is just a reflection makes me believe that the OP has a legit case.

Not that I ever doubted ya..

Good luck OP. That sucks!

lp

Old 07-06-2009, 06:24 PM
traveler
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

Seriously, I'd trade the bike in for a new one if they don't replace it. Or at least a new frame. Grinding it down and welding the area is only an option on an older frame that's not under warranty, IMHO.

~Joe

Old 07-06-2009, 06:46 PM
rbabos
Banned
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

It's one of two things. It's a stress crack or the robot missed the joint's center with very little filler covering it. Then it cracks in no time .It is not heat treated or missed the paint as has been suggested. The only way to know is to grind down the weld and find the joints center. Now for the bad news. If in fact it's robotic welding and I might add a very poor one there will be many more cracked frames to follow. Robots do the same thing over and over. I do this crap for a living, and if I turned out really expensive low quality like that, I'd be shot and pissed on. There is also the possibility the design has a flex issue, fatiguing and failing. If so, in time they will all crack. Some will take longer than others.
Ron

Last edited by rbabos; 07-06-2009 at 06:55 PM.
Old 07-06-2009, 06:56 PM
n8dc
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by rbabos
It's one of two things. It's a stress crack or the robot missed the joint's center with very little filler covering it. Then it cracks in no time .It is not heat treated or missed the paint as has been suggested. The only way to know is to grind down the weld and find the joints center. Now for the bad news. If in fact it's robotic welding and I might add a very poor one there will be many more cracked frames to follow. Robots do the same thing over and over. I do this crap for a living, and if I turned out really expensive low quality like that, I'd be shot and pissed on.
Ron
ya but then the company you work for would get with the company with the bad parts everyone blows sunshine up every ones a$$es the leave thinking they won the battle but your still the azzhole.. Been there done that ... 31 years... since they gave me the permanent lay off .......they won : so they think )...

Quick Reply: Broken Frame 2009 FLHTCU