Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Broken Frame 2009 FLHTCU

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2009, 03:39 AM
Fast FLHX
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Without a doubt you should get a loaner or authorization to do a quick fix so you can still make your reservation at Sturgis.

Don't give in to the Dealer if they give you an answer you don't like and contact someone higher up the chain.

Old 07-06-2009, 04:22 AM
Jontall
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't think Harley would allow you to weld it and keep using the bike because it would be a liability. Cracks in a brand new frame/bike is very serious. I've heard of it, but this is the first one I have actually seen.

Old 07-06-2009, 05:20 AM
emwolb
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

wow, that has to suck bigtime. i hope you get it fixed or replaced to your satisfaction. is it right where the frame downtube meets the ring that is welded in to hold the motor mount? i was concerned when i saw the new frame design, where the downtube stopped, a ring was welded to it from the downtube side for the motor mount, then another weld where the frame member went back to the swingarm joint. any time they stop a continuous run of tubing, problems can occur. which is why i didn't trade in my 08 sg. the last of the frames that stood the test of time. anyway, i hope they get you fixed up. and hope they replace the bike or at least the frame. i am sad to hear about this for you. good luck with the issue though. and thanks for the heads up.

Old 07-06-2009, 05:47 AM
agm1563
Tourer

When I get my Nightster in a few weeks I'm going to double check everything now. I know the chances are very rare, but everyone makes mistakes.

Old 07-06-2009, 05:49 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,866 Likes on 2,429 Posts
Unhappy

I would expect the factory will want to see this frame, if not the complete bike, so won't want any welded repairs done. That is not the way to deal with this IMHO.

Here in the UK you would be legally entitled to reject your bike because it is 'not fit for purpose' due to that crack and demand a replacement bike. While a new frame will fix things for you, Harley are not normally very quick getting replacement parts for newly introduced models out to dealers - I guess they all go into new build. So your quickest solution is probably to hold out for a replacement bike. Does your dealer have one on the showroom floor?

Have you looked at other bikes, to see what a good one looks like? I don't know 09 models very well, although I have been round one on my hands and knees to study the engine mounts! So I cannot make out exactly where this crack is.

Like everyone else on HDF, I wish you the best of luck sorting this out as painlessly as possible and hearing how things go for you.

Old 07-06-2009, 07:16 AM
honkerdown
Tourer

Sorry to hear about your problem, and thanks for the heads up. Got me thinking about doing a full look over on mine. I hope the MOCO steps up and does the right thing. I know my dealer would go to bat for me and do everything they could. I had a few minor paint issues and they got a new saddlebag and tour pack to replace they minor blemishes. Again keep us informed.

Old 07-06-2009, 07:36 AM
tmblweed
Road Captain
Wink

JB Weld will hold anything.

Old 07-06-2009, 07:39 AM
hogwash
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Jontall
I don't think Harley would allow you to weld it and keep using the bike because it would be a liability. Cracks in a brand new frame/bike is very serious. I've heard of it, but this is the first one I have actually seen.

I'm sure somehow HD wouldn't want that bike running around at Sturgis.

Old 07-06-2009, 07:39 AM
trackadaptor
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Unhappy

Thanks for the well wishes...

My Thought: Nobody's fault at the dealership - SM - Bill is a good person
I'm upset at the Q.A. Inspectors back at Harley -
Harley should step up and give me a new bike -
to take the entire bike apart and re-assemble - does not give me a good
feeling , I will not allow them to even do any of the services on my bike,
maybe if they allow me to swap out the frame ( ha ha , fat chance )

I'm thinking the white stuff is contamination leaching out, so the frame is shot..

I needed to talk to somebody so, I called my insurance Co. (Progressive) sent them my picks.

They said "....don not drive the motorcycle..." "call Harley roadside assitance and have the bike towed into your selling dealer... this helps for a "paper trail...."

Progessive is going to contact the Harley District Manager for my San Jose, Ca. location and meet with him and review my Frame !

Progressive will NOT allow the Frame to be Welded !

I got lucky, my agent rides a 2007 Street Glide, and is treating this matter under "Lemon Law"

Progressive also told me to Stop All Payments on the bike...Great there goes my Credit Rating.....

This entire matter makes me Ill....

Old 07-06-2009, 07:48 AM
honkerdown
Tourer

I would not STOP payments, it will affect your credit not your insurance agents. JMO

Quick Reply: Broken Frame 2009 FLHTCU