Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Broken Frame 2009 FLHTCU

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2010, 09:25 AM
jpooch00
Elite HDF Member
Received 267 Likes on 226 Posts
Thumbs up Good to hear!

Originally Posted by trackadaptor
1.10.2010 11,500 miles all is good....that's 7,000 miles from: 8.2009 - 1.2010

It's easy not to understand why I vented about my bike having a missing weld and being without it for 30 days.

Hey - Multi Million Dollar Space Shuttles, Air Planes have problems, just really sucks when it's your problem........

Harley replaced the Frame , Swing Arm, Gas Tank and Rear Shocks.

I was going the Lemon Law route... but GF said the bike has travled to Tahoe, Street Vibrations, Las Vegas, Carmel, Hearst Castle...so lets keep her....for x-mass she bought her a new rear tire at 10,800 miles ;-)

If my venting has kept anyone from buying a Harley, that's pretty weak - to date I was the only one in 200,00 + frames that a weld was missed, or that we have heard about.

Buying a Harley is a state of mind: Do you buy a Harley cause it will out handle , perform come fully loaded for under $30k like a Honda Goldwing or BMW K1200LT...... come on

Harley is now made at around 30% Non-USA - Showa suspension - Brazil
Bosch Electronics - Germany
Little bolt on stuff - China

Harley has a Loan at 15% for over $900 million to Warren Buffut , and it's not a simple intrest loan...

Who cares , I ride a Harley for the enjoyment of the Harley community.. I have meet a lot more folks riding a Harley than I ever did my Goldwing for 5 years 140k miles..

You buy a Harley and ride the darn thing, I have one friend who owns a Harley FLHTCU 2005 it has 3,500 miles on it....all local M/C bars Saturday only rides...but hey..he rides a Harley.....
Very well said!

Glad to hear that everything ended up working out on that bike.

Ride safe and best wishes,

John

Old 01-10-2010, 09:29 AM
djkolp
Road Captain
Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

If my venting has kept anyone from buying a Harley, that's pretty weak
I'm glad that you were able resolve the issues with your bike, and that you are still satisfied with your Harley. As far as your quote above is concerned, I don't agree with you. I was unaware that your post was 6 months old. That was an oversight on my part. But it doesn't change the fact that you had a serious problem. Manufacturing flaws happen on occasion, but this one could have easily killed you and your passenger. I don't think "pretty weak" are words that I would use to describe my reaction to your anger. Your comments regarding the Ultra were pretty damning, even if it was in the heat of the moment. You were entitled to be upset, considering the bike was only 90 days old at the time. But as someone who is considering another Harley, and a very expensive one at that, your post had me rethinking the purchase. I've owned a Honda Shadow 1100, 2 Heritage Softail Classics, and my current Kawasaki Vulcan 2000 LT. I know I will ruffle a few feathers when I say that Harley Davidson commands a premium price for a sometimes less than premium product. But it has a rich history, along with a marketing campaign that is second to none. The fact that I'm looking to buy another one is a testament to that. Again, I'm glad everything worked out for you. It was an interesting thread, even if it was ancient history.

DJK

Old 01-10-2010, 11:00 AM
trackadaptor
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Cool

My 2002 Honda Goldwing and 175,000 others had there swing arms welded due to cracking, but Honda welded them Not replaced....

Harley could have welded my frame....

My statement: " If I caused anybody not to buy a Harley..." Meaning if your going to buy a M/C you will see that every bike manufacturer has problems.

What you should have read here is that Harley REPLACED the problems...

I could have died riding my Goldwing with a half assed weld on a single sided swing arm..

Weak: meaning if your a true M/C rider, you read , you research , ask your buddies, talk to
people on the road , if only person influnences you I consider that "weak"

Originally Posted by djkolp
As far as your quote above is concerned, I don't agree with you. I was unaware that your post was 6 months old. That was an oversight on my part. But it doesn't change the fact that you had a serious problem. Manufacturing flaws happen on occasion, but this one could have easily killed you and your passenger. I don't think "pretty weak" are words that I would use to describe my reaction to your anger. Your comments regarding the Ultra were pretty damning, even if it was in the heat of the moment. You were entitled to be upset, considering the bike was only 90 days old at the time. But as someone who is considering another Harley, and a very expensive one at that, your post had me rethinking the purchase. I've owned a Honda Shadow 1100, 2 Heritage Softail Classics, and my current Kawasaki Vulcan 2000 LT. I know I will ruffle a few feathers when I say that Harley Davidson commands a premium price for a sometimes less than premium product. But it has a rich history, along with a marketing campaign that is second to none. The fact that I'm looking to buy another one is a testament to that. Again, I'm glad everything worked out for you. It was an interesting thread, even if it was ancient history.

DJK

Old 01-10-2010, 12:23 PM
Time2ride
Road Captain
Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts

"3.) San Jose Harley understands that I DO NOT want this bike - First Gas Tank and Now
the Frame - Safety Issue with my 11 year old daughter ..."

You lost me there. Everything else aside, your 11 year old as a passenger on a motorcycle is a safety issue all by itself. It's your kid, put her at risk if you choose, but using her as an arguing point for a cracked frame or any other issue makes you look like an idiot. Sell the bike and buy a volvo station wagon if you want your kid to be safer as a passenger.

Old 01-10-2010, 01:33 PM
UltraClassicElectraGlide
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by djkolp
Almost rode away on a new 2010 FLHTCU from the dealer today. This thread has just killed my desire for new Harley.
Why? Seems like both the dealer and H-D stepped up and resolved the problems. Based on how H-D responded, just the opposite should be true.

The real issue to me is all the grandstanding by the OP BEFORE anyone had a chance to assess the problem, such as contacting his insurance company, demanding a new bike, claiming lemon law (I'm not sure; is there such a thing for motorcycles in California?) whipping up a frenzy here, invoking the safety of his daughter, etc.

While I'm gald the problems have been resolved, it seems that we have to at least give the dealer and H-D an opportunity to resolve any issues BEFORE posting on H-D forums in the manner he did. Sure, he was upset, as any of us would have been, but some of his posts BEFORE H-D even had a chance to inspect the frame, come on. I have some issues with my '10 Ultra but certainly not going to come unglued before allowing the dealer to have a couple of shots at making repairs. I guess I feel that a lot of his remarks were way over the top, unfair, and unnecessary, to seek a fair resolution.

Just my personal opinion...

Last edited by UltraClassicElectraGlide; 01-10-2010 at 01:39 PM.
Old 01-10-2010, 01:50 PM
trackadaptor
Road Warrior
Talking Grandstanding

Well, you are far a better man than me...

Grandstanding - OR Venting my anger OR Imenturity for a 48 year old man ?

My Anger Managment Teacher would be very disapointed....

Do I feel bad Nope....did I jump the gun just a bit, yep...must been from all those old style rubber band motocross starts , LOL

Just worked out and waiting for the sun to peek through..

Originally Posted by UltraClassicElectraGlide
Why? Seems like both the dealer and H-D stepped up and resolved the problems. Based on how H-D responded, just the opposite should be true.

The real issue to me is all the grandstanding by the OP BEFORE anyone had a chance to assess the problem, such as contacting his insurance company, demanding a new bike, claiming lemon law (I'm not sure; is there such a thing for motorcycles in California?) whipping up a frenzy here, invoking the safety of his daughter, etc.

While I'm gald the problems have been resolved, it seems that we have to at least give the dealer and H-D an opportunity to resolve any issues BEFORE posting on H-D forums in the manner he did. Sure, he was upset, as any of us would have been, but some of his posts BEFORE H-D even had a chance to inspect the frame, come on. I have some issues with my '10 Ultra but certainly not going to come unglued before allowing the dealer to have a couple of shots at making repairs. I guess I feel that a lot of his remarks were way over the top, unfair, and unnecessary, to seek a fair resolution.

Just my personal opinion...

Old 01-10-2010, 02:03 PM
davessworks
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

1.10.2010 11,500 miles all is good....that's 7,000 miles from: 8.2009 - 1.2010

It's easy not to understand why I vented about my bike having a missing weld and being without it for 30 days.
Thanks trackadaptor - I'm very happy for you. I figured the MoCo would handle this properly. After asking for a synopsis I actually did go back and read a few of the posts within the thread. Frankly I'd have been pretty mad about the whole thing too - it's a little scary. But they took care of it and that's what matters - **** happens.

By the way - did they reissue the VIN? I believe that's what normally happens. The dealership has to literally cut the VIN from your frame and send it back to Harley and they reissue it on the new frame.

On an unrelated note -
I was unaware of a 15% interest loan to Buffet so I looked it up: http://247wallst.com/2009/02/03/warren-buffet-1/

No wonder Buffett has so much $$$$$!

The only reason you issue those kinds of bonds is because the debt rating of the company isn't so hot . . .

Old 01-10-2010, 05:26 PM
djkolp
Road Captain
Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Time2ride
"3.) San Jose Harley understands that I DO NOT want this bike - First Gas Tank and Now
the Frame - Safety Issue with my 11 year old daughter ..."

You lost me there. Everything else aside, your 11 year old as a passenger on a motorcycle is a safety issue all by itself. It's your kid, put her at risk if you choose, but using her as an arguing point for a cracked frame or any other issue makes you look like an idiot. Sell the bike and buy a volvo station wagon if you want your kid to be safer as a passenger.
When I read Trackadapter's many posts on this issue, he was pissin' his pants. Now that he knows how the movie ends, it's no big deal. Whatever dude.

DJK

Old 01-10-2010, 07:36 PM
trackadaptor
Road Warrior
Wink

davessworks ".did they reissue the VIN? I believe that's what normally happens. The dealership has to literally cut the VIN from your frame and send it back to Harley and they reissue it on the new frame....."

Nope, Dealer had to send the entire frame intact to Mother Harley, then Mother Harley had to issue a new frame with my Vin#... Otherwise it would be considered a "Totaled" bike :-)

---------------

DJK "...he was pissin' his pants. Now that he knows how the movie ends, it's no big deal. Whatever dude....."

That is FUNNY... using the term "dude" tells me your maybe 22 , no kids , still wet behind the ear and never been in front of a Drill Sargent , LOL

----------------------------

Originally Posted by davessworks
Thanks trackadaptor - I'm very happy for you. I figured the MoCo would handle this properly. After asking for a synopsis I actually did go back and read a few of the posts within the thread. Frankly I'd have been pretty mad about the whole thing too - it's a little scary. But they took care of it and that's what matters - **** happens.

By the way - did they reissue the VIN? I believe that's what normally happens. The dealership has to literally cut the VIN from your frame and send it back to Harley and they reissue it on the new frame.

On an unrelated note -
I was unaware of a 15% interest loan to Buffet so I looked it up: http://247wallst.com/2009/02/03/warren-buffet-1/

No wonder Buffett has so much $$$$$!

The only reason you issue those kinds of bonds is because the debt rating of the company isn't so hot . . .

Old 01-10-2010, 07:40 PM
davessworks
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

davessworks ".did they reissue the VIN? I believe that's what normally happens. The dealership has to literally cut the VIN from your frame and send it back to Harley and they reissue it on the new frame....."

Nope, Dealer had to send the entire frame intact to Mother Harley, then Mother Harley had to issue a new frame with my Vin#... Otherwise it would be considered a "Totaled" bike :-)
right - that's pretty much the same thing. You have a bike with the same VIN as before - hence "reissued". Regardless good luck. I'm sure you now have one of the very best frames possible. I expect it was very closely inspected before being sent to the dealer.

Quick Reply: Broken Frame 2009 FLHTCU