Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Broken Frame 2009 FLHTCU

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2010, 02:11 PM
j1mmy
Elite HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

not to change the subject much, i was a tech at a honda dealership in ohio, there was like 1 goldwing a week in for the frame weld, had to be hundreds of them.. i would of been pissed with a 20k bike being halfass repaired, when more problems poped up after the fact, a new bike should be in order

Old 01-09-2010, 03:30 PM
djkolp
Road Captain
Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by rbabos
It's one of two things. It's a stress crack or the robot missed the joint's center with very little filler covering it. Then it cracks in no time .It is not heat treated or missed the paint as has been suggested. The only way to know is to grind down the weld and find the joints center. Now for the bad news. If in fact it's robotic welding and I might add a very poor one there will be many more cracked frames to follow. Robots do the same thing over and over. I do this crap for a living, and if I turned out really expensive low quality like that, I'd be shot and pissed on. There is also the possibility the design has a flex issue, fatiguing and failing. If so, in time they will all crack. Some will take longer than others.
Ron
Almost rode away on a new 2010 FLHTCU from the dealer today. This thread has just killed my desire for new Harley. At least for now. I wish you the very best in getting your bike fixed.

Old 01-09-2010, 11:13 PM
skratch
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,357 Likes on 2,536 Posts

Originally Posted by djkolp
Almost rode away on a new 2010 FLHTCU from the dealer today. This thread has just killed my desire for new Harley. At least for now. I wish you the very best in getting your bike fixed.

seriously, i wouldn't let something like this stop you from getting a new ride, if you really wanted one. no matter what you get, there is always gonna be THE ONE that shouldn't have passed through qa/qc but did. be it a kitchen blender or a $50,000 car. people are not perfect, and people (and robots) are the ones that are putting out these things.

now if everyone who was buying a 2010 was on here saying that their frame was cracked, then i might worry about it.

Old 01-09-2010, 11:54 PM
ackman1968
Elite HDF Member
Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

............................................delete d, too stupid to see the date.................no point inposting in an old post...................my bad!

Last edited by ackman1968; 01-10-2010 at 12:18 AM.
Old 01-10-2010, 12:07 AM
davessworks
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

As much as it wouldmake facinating reading to plow through all 34 pages of this thread would the OP give a synopsis of where this is at?

Old 01-10-2010, 12:13 AM
RAP
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

djkolp....Ahh, this thread is way old. ( July!!!)

Old 01-10-2010, 04:57 AM
djkolp
Road Captain
Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by RAP
djkolp....Ahh, this thread is way old. ( July!!!)
Yea, I'll be checking the original post date from now on...

Old 01-10-2010, 05:15 AM
jpooch00
Elite HDF Member
Received 267 Likes on 226 Posts

Yeah, this was a long, sad story. I kept up with it as it unfolded when it was first posted. Sounds like it's a completely isolated incident, though - thank god!!!!

I'm getting ready to buy a new Ultra and I WILL be looking very closely at all of the welds that I can see, and everything else for that matter, before taking delivery!

Old 01-10-2010, 07:57 AM
trackadaptor
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Talking Status

1.10.2010 11,500 miles all is good....that's 7,000 miles from: 8.2009 - 1.2010

It's easy not to understand why I vented about my bike having a missing weld and being without it for 30 days.

Hey - Multi Million Dollar Space Shuttles, Air Planes have problems, just really sucks when it's your problem........

Harley replaced the Frame , Swing Arm, Gas Tank and Rear Shocks.

I was going the Lemon Law route... but GF said the bike has travled to Tahoe, Street Vibrations, Las Vegas, Carmel, Hearst Castle...so lets keep her....for x-mass she bought her a new rear tire at 10,800 miles ;-)

If my venting has kept anyone from buying a Harley, that's pretty weak - to date I was the only one in 200,00 + frames that a weld was missed, or that we have heard about.

Buying a Harley is a state of mind: Do you buy a Harley cause it will out handle , perform come fully loaded for under $30k like a Honda Goldwing or BMW K1200LT...... come on

Harley is now made at around 30% Non-USA - Showa suspension - Brazil
Bosch Electronics - Germany
Little bolt on stuff - China

Harley has a Loan at 15% for over $900 million to Warren Buffut , and it's not a simple intrest loan...

Who cares , I ride a Harley for the enjoyment of the Harley community.. I have meet a lot more folks riding a Harley than I ever did my Goldwing for 5 years 140k miles..

You buy a Harley and ride the darn thing, I have one friend who owns a Harley FLHTCU 2005 it has 3,500 miles on it....all local M/C bars Saturday only rides...but hey..he rides a Harley.....

Old 01-10-2010, 08:05 AM
masterblaster
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 258 Likes on 100 Posts

I agree with everything you said, glad this is working out for ya. +5 on the ride the dam bike comment too.

Originally Posted by trackadaptor
1.10.2010 11,500 miles all is good....that's 7,000 miles from: 8.2009 - 1.2010

It's easy not to understand why I vented about my bike having a missing weld and being without it for 30 days.

Hey - Multi Million Dollar Space Shuttles, Air Planes have problems, just really sucks when it's your problem........

Harley replaced the Frame , Swing Arm, Gas Tank and Rear Shocks.

I was going the Lemon Law route... but GF said the bike has travled to Tahoe, Street Vibrations, Las Vegas, Carmel, Hearst Castle...so lets keep her....for x-mass she bought her a new rear tire at 10,800 miles ;-)

If my venting has kept anyone from buying a Harley, that's pretty weak - to date I was the only one in 200,00 + frames that a weld was missed, or that we have heard about.

Buying a Harley is a state of mind: Do you buy a Harley cause it will out handle , perform come fully loaded for under $30k like a Honda Goldwing or BMW K1200LT...... come on

Harley is now made at around 30% Non-USA - Showa suspension - Brazil
Bosch Electronics - Germany
Little bolt on stuff - China

Harley has a Loan at 15% for over $900 million to Warren Buffut , and it's not a simple intrest loan...

Who cares , I ride a Harley for the enjoyment of the Harley community.. I have meet a lot more folks riding a Harley than I ever did my Goldwing for 5 years 140k miles..

You buy a Harley and ride the darn thing, I have one friend who owns a Harley FLHTCU 2005 it has 3,500 miles on it....all local M/C bars Saturday only rides...but hey..he rides a Harley.....

Quick Reply: Broken Frame 2009 FLHTCU