Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Broken Frame 2009 FLHTCU

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2009, 09:23 PM
bosco 09
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i'll try one more time [see post 27] your title will not change in any way CarFax will not be involved. i know this from my experience from buying my friends wrecked RK the other guys insurance paid the bill gave him a damage settlement and nothing more was ever said about it. i saw the complete paperwork while at the dealer with all repairs and prices itemized. the original title was transfered to me, no salvage title, no CarFax report, full warranty on any and all repairs. an insurance company has no issues with a bike being repaired by an authorized dealer using factory parts.
when i traded it in last november the dealer said nothing about any repairs done to it. if it was in a HD system you would sure think they would check before taking it in.
good luck.

Old 07-07-2009, 10:39 PM
ken b
Road Captain

Holy crap people, it's a MOTORCYCLE. This is a far less complicated item than a car or truck. We may pay as much as a Car or truck for our machines but in truth it's not all that tough to work on. A Frame swap isn't a tough job really. Look at it. The major assembelies will unbolt from one and bolt up to the other. There is no body work like on a car. The frame isn't going into a frame straightener for days on end. It's a FRAME swap. Very simple in the grand scheme of things. The Labor charge is going to be the kick in the shorts for the MoCo.

I honestly wonder if the new frame will come with some items preinstalled, Wire harnesses and so forth. I think it would be interesting to watch. But that's just me.

Old 07-07-2009, 11:13 PM
street_glider
Road Warrior
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

OK - after 172 posts:

I'd say ask for a new bike and a new frame! Maybe two new bikes, one for him and one for the 11 year old daughter! For Safety!

This has been a satirical response.

Old 07-07-2009, 11:47 PM
shadowchaser
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There is something for everyone in this thread!! Humor, sarcasm, sympathy, helpful and not-so helpful advise, you name it. Good luck, I hope they treat you right. Excuse me while I go make some more popcorn....

Old 07-07-2009, 11:48 PM
Tinman265
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

As for CarFax, I DO NOT BELEIVE THEM. I have a 2005 Chevy Uplander van that was wrecked by a porter at 21 miles. Insurance claim repair (I do have proof). Dealer titled as new. NOTHING on the Carfax report.

I just wish I looked at the Carfax before I bought it......... They would owe me money...

Lemon law may not help you at all....... maybe yes.... Here in Illinois the lemon law only applies to cars and trucks, not motorcycles and powersports. Kinda stupid.

And by the way.... SUING SUCKS!!!!!!! I am 3 years into the Uplander deal and I have overwelming proof (repair receipts), and who knows when it is going to be settled.

By the way there is a whole cemetary of ghosts in my wife's van. It's not just the fraud we are suing for. It's a bonified LEMON.

Old 07-08-2009, 03:05 AM
jd533
Road Captain

This has got to be the first time I've read 18 pages of any thread. I sure hope they treat you right. It sounds like you atleast have a good dealer to work with.

Old 07-08-2009, 04:56 AM
jpooch00
Elite HDF Member
Received 267 Likes on 226 Posts

Try to get something in writing stating that your bike will be road-ready by the date that you're leaving for Sturgis or else they'll give you a new one. I'm betting that there's no way the MOCO will get the new frame to them in time to have it ready for the trip.

You might want to push for some kind of transportation guarantee in the event that they screw up putting it back together in a big rush and it breaks down on the trip (assuming that they actually manage to get a new frame in time).

Wishing you all the best,

John

Old 07-08-2009, 05:54 AM
KopperTop
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds promising. You think the MoCo would want this problem to go away and the fastest way to do that is with a replacement bike. But then they're setting a precedent. So they'll probably do the frame swap. But then there's the insurance company. Oh, who the frig knows?! Keep us posted...

Old 07-08-2009, 09:25 AM
trackadaptor
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Cool Letter to HDMO

Attention: Harley Davidson Motor Company
3700 W. Juneau Avenue Milwaukee, WI 53208
Phone: 414.343.4056 Fax: 414.343.8358

Cc: San Jose Harley Davidson
1551 Parkmoor Ave San Jose CA 95128
Phone: 408-998-1464 Fax: 408-995-6676

REFERENCE: 1002586 VIN# 1HD1FC4369Y650232

I would first like to thank you all in your quick response, in regards to the Broken Frame on my FLHTCU – Electra Glide Ultra Classic.

I would like to thank Harley Davidson Motor Co. for the following commitments given to me by
John M on 7.7.2009;

Replacing: Frame and Swing Arm - Due to Factory Error

Loaner: 2009 FLHTCU - 7.9.2009 through 7.22.2009 – trip with my daughter - www.trackadaptor.com

Commitment: Return my bike 7.31.2009 or sooner for my trip to Sturgis

MY REQUEST;

A letter from Harley Davidson Motor Co. fully acknowledging and supporting San Jose Harley in Disassembling and Reassembling my FLHTCU - VIN# 1HD1FC4369Y650232.

In the letter it needs to state that in the event (God Forbid) San Jose Harley should change ownership or go out of business that Harley Davidson Motor Co. will assume all warranty and liability as out lined in Harley Davidson Motor Co. 2 year factory warranty.

For the parts being replaced: Frame and Swing Arm -I would like to see in the letter a statement that Harley Davidson Motor Co. will extended the factory 2 year warranty from the date I pick up the bike.

SAFETY, I ride this bike 70% with a passenger and 20% of this time is spent with my 11 year old
daughter – Delainey, on the back of the bike.

I have owned this bike for just over 90 days, and fully understand to error is human, I will be honest and will have to say that there will always be that concern – are we sure 100% of all the fasteners, nuts and bolts were tightened to the Factory Specification and did Harley Davidson Motor Co. allow enough time for the Reassembling of the bike, so that the technician and SJH were not rushed to complete their job and still make some profit.

This entire matter does not sit well with me, I have been riding motorcycles since I was 10 years of age, raced for Team Can-Am (1975 – 1977) and Team Wheel Smith Maico (1977 – 1980) , I have seen what happens when a bike is not put together correctly, have seen my friends get hurt and seen death.

Will I ever be comfortable on this motorcycle – honestly no.

It started out as a GAS TANK REPLACEMENT and now the bike will be Disassembled and Reassembled – not at the factory.

I really need for Harley Davidson Motor Co. to fully understand my concerns, and God forbid anything should happen that hurts my daughter as a result of the Disassembling and Reassembling of the bike, please do not think that I would sit idle, should the worst ever happen.

Thanks again for the response to date, I look forward to actually seeing the commitments come true:

Vincent , Vickie and Delainey
Dated: 7.8.2009

Old 07-08-2009, 09:43 AM
traveler
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

For peace of mind....trade it for a new one.

~Joe

Quick Reply: Broken Frame 2009 FLHTCU