Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mufflers - LOOKING FOR '"THE SOUND" please read and help!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2010 | 04:04 PM
mrwizard
Advanced
Smile

Originally Posted by bigskyhd
I've heard nothing but good things on V&H Monster Ovals. They're spendy, but everyone seems to agree they give a nice bass rumble without much noise. I'd definitely listen to a set before buying another disappointment. They're on my list.
Had a student show up in my ERC with an 09 Ultra sporting the V&H Monster Ovals on dual headpipes.

To quote my daughter "OMG!!!" My Olds 442 is the only thing that rumbled that low.

I could not get over the fact that you FELT the low bass rumble but yet it was not loud.

I put them on my 07 last Saturday. (most expensive class I've ever taught! )

The best way to explain the sound is.... because of the low tone, there is a "presence" of power, without the blinding volume. Even on a hard acceleration, and listening from directly behind the bike, family and friends are not annoyed but are impressed by the sound. (they actually sound louder from the saddle) And the volume decreases with distance quickly.

Both times I've been to the harley dealer I've had riders come over to find out what I'm running because it sounds so nice.

Volume wise - another HD rider says that if the stock mufflers are a 1, the SE slashdowns are a 3, the reinhart true duals are a 10 and the V&H Monster Ovals are a 1-1/2.."but with an attitude".

Old 04-14-2010 | 04:28 PM
Casper
Seasoned HDF Member

PM sent

Old 04-14-2010 | 05:12 PM
Cattivo
Cruiser

I looked and listened to quite a few of 'em. Loved the sound of the Bub 7s from day one. Couldn't originally find them for what I wanted to pay, and even though V&H, Rinehart, and many of the rest were all on sale, I bit the bullet and got the Bubs. Deep, bassy sound, and just loud enough once you get on it. I do have to admit though, the CFR's are pretty amazing sounding too!

Old 04-14-2010 | 06:35 PM
Texas Fat Boy
Extreme HDF Member

What you are looking for are the V&H Monster Ovals.

They give a nice bass rumble without much noise. It's the best sound I have ever heard at idle and is quiet going down the road.
I miss mine dearly. They would not work with my extended bags.

I had them on True Dual header pipes on my '08 and stock headers on my '09. Oh my Gawd

Last edited by Texas Fat Boy; 04-14-2010 at 06:40 PM.
Old 04-14-2010 | 06:41 PM
flyingace
Outstanding HDF Member

Monster Ovals.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w8qorWsL8ac

(listen with good speakers)

Old 04-14-2010 | 07:05 PM
Texas Fat Boy
Extreme HDF Member

Originally Posted by ww1flyingace
Monster Ovals.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w8qorWsL8ac

(listen with good speakers)
DAMN YOU !!!! Now I miss them even more.
I have pretty good computer speakers and I can feel that rumble I miss ever so much.

Old 04-14-2010 | 08:07 PM
flyingace
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by Texas Fat Boy
DAMN YOU !!!! Now I miss them even more.
I have pretty good computer speakers and I can feel that rumble I miss ever so much.
Will Monster Rounds work with your bags?

Old 04-14-2010 | 08:26 PM
RKC2009
Advanced

I would suggest Monster ovals. I love mine with the Power duals. I am in southern WI if you are near and want to see and hear them.

Old 04-14-2010 | 08:32 PM
Papamte
Tourer

I have the Monster Ovals on my 95" 01 Ultra. The true duals made every pipe I've tried annoying at highway speeds. The MO's are deep at idle and purr on the highway, but still have a slight bit of attitude when you get on it hard. The new Monster Rounds are supposed to have the sound in a 4" can. Pricey but worth it!
Check out Mark at M&M Cycles online. He usually has a great price, and a great guy to deal with too.

Old 04-14-2010 | 08:48 PM
HAG11Limited
Cruiser

Originally Posted by bigskyhd
I've heard nothing but good things on V&H Monster Ovals. They're spendy, but everyone seems to agree they give a nice bass rumble without much noise. I'd definitely listen to a set before buying another disappointment. They're on my list.
Just put monster ovals on mine w/103 stageII build. Knew I had what I was looking for when I rolled through parking lot at work just idling and was setting off car alarms. Love this sh$t!!!!

Quick Reply: Mufflers - LOOKING FOR '"THE SOUND" please read and help!!