Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

new noise 07 ultra

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2009, 05:04 PM
brogers
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default new noise 07 ultra

I have an 07 ultra with 38500 miles on it, and it has IDS. Yesterday I noticed when I pushed the bike back without the engine running I got like a clanking noise from either the transmission or primary. Not real loud but loud enough to be concerned. It also makes the noise pushing it forward.This morning when I pushed it out of the garage the noise was gone so I took it for a short ride and warmed it up and the noise came back. Has anyone had anything like this or have any ideas. for now I am afraid to ride it until I find out what the problem is

Old 07-05-2009, 05:31 PM
bigdumbnoitall00
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 673 Likes on 537 Posts

primarychain tensioner?

Old 07-05-2009, 05:51 PM
brogers
Advanced

Thanks for the response I sure hope it is only the tensioner, it is hard to tell if it is coming from the primary or inside the transmission

Old 07-05-2009, 06:08 PM
rbabos
Banned
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by brogers
Thanks for the response I sure hope it is only the tensioner, it is hard to tell if it is coming from the primary or inside the transmission
Unless you are King Kong you won't be pushing this bike in gear. If in either nuetral or clutch in the primary isn't turning, so the tensioner won't make noise. Look for something contacting the belt or brake rotor and caliper movement. Worst case could be a fork problem in the trans. Like a gear trying to engage, but not quite there. Another possibility could be the trans sprocket loose. Check the ids out for excess play as well.
Ron

Last edited by rbabos; 07-05-2009 at 06:14 PM.
Old 07-05-2009, 07:24 PM
bob2002
Road Master
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Noise

At 38,000 plus miles on my 07 UC I was installing the SE compensator sprocket,my stock unit was almost past the stops on the ramps,it was really loud riding and causing starting problems,also the tensioner was wore within a hair of the rivets that hold the shoe material in place.You may be in the same boat I was in.

Old 07-06-2009, 07:33 AM
brogers
Advanced

Thanks guys. I put it up on a jack yesterday so I could turn the wheel and listen the noise is definitely coming from the transmission. I guess I will have to try to get it into the dealer later this week. I have never taken the extended warranty before but I'll bet I wished I had this time. I will post what they find.

Old 07-06-2009, 09:24 AM
Ribitt
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Cool

Good luck I have 46,000 on my 07 UC and dealer just told me that the main shaft in tranny has excesive play. I do have the extended warrenty, thank god.

Old 07-06-2009, 11:55 AM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by rbabos
Unless you are King Kong you won't be pushing this bike in gear. If in either nuetral or clutch in the primary isn't turning, so the tensioner won't make noise. Look for something contacting the belt or brake rotor and caliper movement. Worst case could be a fork problem in the trans. Like a gear trying to engage, but not quite there. Another possibility could be the trans sprocket loose. Check the ids out for excess play as well.
Ron
I agree with this and would emphasize checking the IDS bearing. Jack the bike up and see if the noise is generated by merely turning the rear wheel in neutral. That way you should be able to pinpoint its location.

Old 07-11-2009, 04:04 PM
brogers
Advanced

Update, finally got it into the dealer and got it torn down.The large main drive gear bearing in the transmission is bad. They also pulled the rear wheel and the IDS bearing is also going bad.Everything else in the trans looks good and the auto chain tensioner shoe and comp sprocket still looks new. who knows why the main bearing went bad at 38500 miles. When this bike was new it clattered bad in 5th and 6th gear all the way up to 75mph until I got the IDS. I don't know if that and the bearing failure have anything to do with each other. The parts should be in this week and they will get it back together.

Old 07-12-2009, 09:04 AM
brogers
Advanced

Just wondering, Has anyone else had a transmission main drive gear bearing failure on an 07 or is this a first

Quick Reply: new noise 07 ultra