Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bike is stalling what is wrong?

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2009, 04:23 PM
ANIMAL03
Grand HDF Member
Received 757 Likes on 479 Posts

i'm gonna go with this i-a-c-m idle air controll motor . what makes me say that, well when it stopps working alltogher you'll be calling for a tow at 3 am have your indy or dealer run a digignostic on it ... ( me spelling sucks)

Old 07-06-2009, 08:18 PM
cryan9
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks guys for all of the input. I will try and see what's going on. It is more frustrating than anything. I just don't want to be doing any damage to the motor. I checked my plugs a few months ago and they were okay, unless they just went bad all of the sudden. Where is this IAC motor located?

Old 07-07-2009, 12:43 AM
KY HDRider
Tourer
Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by cryan9
Where is this IAC motor located?
It is on top center of the throttle body, just behind the breather. It is the round black cylinder looking device. Idle air enters in the small hole in the top of the throttle body, the amount of air is controlled by the idle air control motor. It is basically like a valve, opening and closing to control the amount of air entering the engine through the small hole in the throttle body while at idle. At least, that is my understanding.

04Ultra

Old 07-07-2009, 01:36 AM
jabradley
Advanced
Default Same thing

I have an 08 Street Glide and it has done this too me 5 times. First three was right after I put the PC 3 on and thought that it might be runing lean so I took it up a little at idle. Did good for about a month then did it two more times, always fires right back up like nothing wrong. I was thinking bad gas or plugs changed them now just waiting for it too do it again. I am hopeing not . Will be keeping an I here to find out what other people say. My bike only has 3500 miles on it. And leaving for Texas on Friday from KCMO.

Old 07-07-2009, 02:24 PM
JHeiser
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had this happen on my bike. I read on another forum that it could be the PC III. So I took the side cover off, unplugged it from the ECM and plugged it back in. Then reset to original map then reinstalled the new map. I have not had a problem since. I think my PC III may not have been plugged in all the way or plugged in properly or maybe it was not making a good connection. Whatever it was I have not had the problem since re-seating the plug and reinstalling the map.

Old 07-07-2009, 04:34 PM
gsigley
Intermediate

I had the stalling problem on my '07 Street Glide also. I tried using fuel injection cleaner in the tank numerous times. I sprayed carb cleaner in the IAC port also to no avail. I had no codes showing up. The dealer said try plugs. I could not believe plugs would cause intrmittent stalling so I bought the IAC motor. When I watched the old one cycle with the ignition it was not as fast as the new one and when I removed the old one, it was gummed up. The new cleaners don't remove the deposits like the old ones because they are environmentally friendly. Anyway, took the bike for a ride and so far so good.

Old 07-07-2009, 04:40 PM
DYNAJoe
Banned

I put too much oil in mine and it started doing this...removed some oil and cleaned the oil from the IAC etc and hasnt stalled since...probably 6 months ago...

Old 07-12-2009, 12:17 PM
ezlife
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by cryan9
Thanks guys for all of the input. I will try and see what's going on. It is more frustrating than anything. I just don't want to be doing any damage to the motor. I checked my plugs a few months ago and they were okay, unless they just went bad all of the sudden. Where is this IAC motor located?
Did ya replace the IAC? Was it gunked up, ports clogged, potentially blocking airflow? Did replacing it help? Thinking about doing same, just curious.

Ez

Old 08-19-2009, 12:42 PM
wild1s2
Intermediate
Default IAC valve

Can someone tell me if you have to pull the throttle body off like it tells you to do in the repair manual? Or can you lift the tank and remove the IAC? I keep getting the low idle problem off and on and would like to fix this problem.

Old 08-19-2009, 12:49 PM
Scout
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 708 Likes on 340 Posts

I had this on my 01, it was breaks in the wires in the wiring harness, that follows the frame, in front of the gas tank, before the steering knuckle. When the bike is idling, squeeze the wires, and if the bike stalls, cut apart the wrap, and fix the wires. Caused by the fairing hitting the wires when the bikes steering was all the way to the right too many times.

I did the same computer, diagnostic checks, and couldn't find anything, and an old school wrench squeezes the harness, and finds the problem after three seperate new age wrenchs looked at the bike and couldn't find anything wrong.

Quick Reply: Bike is stalling what is wrong?