Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

RK custom Batwing fairing

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2009, 11:28 AM
rowle
Tourer
Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Ok - get comfy and read this, here are your answers'
  1. The proper HD screen will NOT fit the MS fairing. The holes are different. I have re-drilled the holes and fitted it on (see pics) but it looks bad and it is flat (more wind onto face) as the MS screen has a LITTLE bit of "flip" built into it - I,m now getting a 7" MS screen !
  2. You CAN re-fit you old HD windshield (see pics) BUT you need to file a very small amount off the top slot (i,m talking a few rubs with the file here, not a machining job). - After filing, it will still fit a standard HD mount s you have only took a few thou off it.
  3. It DOES fit the RK custom BUT you need to move the indicators (blinkers ?? - you US guys). You DONT need any hardware just take them off from under the mirrors and re-fit them onto the bottom fairing mount screws (bolts are long enough).
I have added a load of pics for you all but if you need anymore info please ask.
My conclusion is that the MS fairing is great quality and worht every penny (cent) but MS need to do a proper flip screen range (oh yes, and their website is hopeless!).
I,m off to a rally now so but let me know if you need anymore info.
2 posts as I run out of picture upload memory.
Ride safe.
Rowle.

Attached Thumbnails RK custom Batwing fairing-different-holes-centres.jpg   RK custom Batwing fairing-fixing-1.jpg   RK custom Batwing fairing-full-inside.jpg   RK custom Batwing fairing-hd-fitted.jpg   RK custom Batwing fairing-to-refit-hd.jpg  

Last edited by rowle; 07-10-2009 at 11:30 AM. Reason: more text.
Old 07-10-2009, 11:34 AM
rowle
Tourer

More pics as promised above.
Rowle.

Attached Thumbnails RK custom Batwing fairing-with-5-inch-ms-screen.jpg   RK custom Batwing fairing-with-7-inch-hd-screen.jpg   RK custom Batwing fairing-gap-in-washers.jpg   RK custom Batwing fairing-inside-on-headlight.jpg   RK custom Batwing fairing-inside-fixing-1.jpg  

Old 07-10-2009, 07:34 PM
phat96
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for the pictures Rowle, cant wait to get mine, and you can tell there is a big difference from the angle of the MS and the HD one.

Old 07-11-2009, 07:37 AM
Rterry3
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ecellent!!!

Thanks Rowle, that is exactly the info I was looking for. In the continued search for the exact set up that will cover all bases. I found "Wide open customs" who makes a fairing that will fit the road king custom leaving the chrome "duckbill" air deflector AND using the original harley mounts so I can use my windshields I already have when fairing is off. They have both a stereo and non stereo version. For the money, and the fact it covers every concern the custom owners might have, it is a no brainer. It even pushed me to the stereo version. For about half the price of the big names that don't cover all the bases.
I am going with a MS batwing for the fatboy though. perfect Thanks everyone. Bob

Old 07-11-2009, 06:33 PM
jag1886
Elite HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Not to be a pest but you need to back up just a few more feet (or whatever where you live) and take those pictures again. You took great close ups just like before but I still can't see what the thing looks like.
Close enough to see the whole shield.

Old 07-12-2009, 09:35 AM
rowle
Tourer

Hi Jag1886,
Check out the 1st page of this thread, there are better installed pics there.
If you want anymore, let me know.

PS - went on good ride today in quite strong winds. It worked great but I still need the 7" screen like I said before. (its on order).
Rowle.