Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fox Creek Leather Overpants

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2009, 02:43 PM
Paniolo
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Gordon
I've been very happy with my leathers from Langlitz.

http://www.langlitz.com/

Gordon
Oh I agree. Langlitz and Bates are two of the best. I checked out Langlitz in 1990 when I was up there on business almost went with them, but Bates in Long Beach, CA was closer than Portland for sizings and fittings. People say that custom and tailor fitted leathers are expensive and they are right. But I look at my leathers as a lifetime investment. Whereas I have already had half a dozen bikes since 1991, I have had only ONE set of leathers. When I was looking for a summer jacket to wear in the desert heat, I almost went with the FoxCreek perforated jacket. I took a picture and info to Bates and after a detailed discussion on design and perforations decided to have them make me one of their Super Vents instead. It's the ONLY other leather jacket I own.

There is NOTHING like tailored and fitted leathers. Yes they are expensive, but if you look at it as a lifetime investment, it is worth it.

Old 07-05-2009, 02:53 PM
leicafish
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 27 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Paniolo
Oh I agree. Langlitz and Bates are two of the best. I checked out Langlitz in 1990 when I was up there on business almost went with them, but Bates in Long Beach, CA was closer than Portland for sizings and fittings. People say that custom and tailor fitted leathers are expensive and they are right. But I look at my leathers as a lifetime investment. Whereas I have already had half a dozen bikes since 1991, I have had only ONE set of leathers. When I was looking for a summer jacket to wear in the desert heat, I almost went with the FoxCreek perforated jacket. I took a picture and info to Bates and after a detailed discussion on design and perforations decided to have them make me one of their Super Vents instead. It's the ONLY other leather jacket I own.

There is NOTHING like tailored and fitted leathers. Yes they are expensive, but if you look at it as a lifetime investment, it is worth it.
+3 Langlitz are the best. I got goatskin leathers that are broken in when you receive them. Same stuff that real navy flight jackets are made of.

langlitz quality and fit are unsurpassed.

Old 07-05-2009, 02:57 PM
MODCOBRA
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the overpants and they are OK.

The ones I have are NOT lined, I don't know if lining is an option since they are made to be worn over pants. They are not lined because lining would make them thicker in the waist and hips, and that is where most folks carry their extra weight. In comparison to my leather pants or my chaps from Bates Leathers they are bulkier than I would like. They have front zippered pockets which add to the bulky feel in front especially when in the saddle. Like all FoxCreek products they are made of heavy leather. The rider is supposed to remove his belt, slip the pants on, and put his belt back on through the belt loops in the pants to hold them up. I found the "belt over leather waistband over blue jeans waistband" really gave me a "thick waisted" feeling if you know what I mean, and I have a 31" waist. So much so that both of my Bates jackets were really tight at the bottom closure. With all the weight, I found EVERYTHING slipping down so I was constantly pulling up the pants. Tightening the belt up enough to prevent slippage was uncomfortable. After one year of wearing them four times I took them to Bates and had them modified for the following reasons:

I had the pockets cut out and sewn closed to get rid of the excess leather and reduce bulkiness.

I had four small tabs sewn in the inside of the waistband, two up front and two out back. I use the tabs to hook up suspenders. The suspenders hold the pants up well enough without the belt giving me a bit more room in the waist.

My biggest complaint is the way they are cut. They are overpants, meaning they are cut like EXTRA Large leather jeans to go over the jeans you are wearing. While they look good standing straight up, they bunch and gather in the crotch while seated. Take a look at your jeans while seated. You will see a gathering of denim folds. Now imagine thick leather on top of that. I suppose a more ergonomic design for how a person sits in the saddle would be better, much like how the shoulders and elbows in well made jackets have a natural bend tailored into them. But that gets into custom tailoring and these are off the shelf. To be honest they are NOT one of my better purchases and they are minimally tolerable since my modifications.

In the order of comfort I list the following for me.

Blue Jeans - Comfort but minimal impact and thickness protection.
Lined Bates Chaps - Comfort but lack of protection in the exposed areas
Lined Leather Jeans - Comfort and protection as long as I make a decision to wear them ALL day or carry extra jeans to change into upon arrival.
Fox Creek Over Pants.

Hope this helps.

Mark

Here is a picture of me wearing them at Bear Tooth Pass.
Mark, that is an excellent review and I appreciate it very much. I will continue my search. I have been to all of the leather sites, Langlitz, Timot, Bates, etc. I like the looks of the Fox Creek and was hoping for more of a jean type fit, but lined and leather. I know Bates makes good stuff, but their site is pitiful. I would like some better pix of what I would like to order. Again, I am looking for a pair of leather jeans that I can wear everytime on the bike. I am not concerned with the heat and I feel it will not be an issue.

Thanks again,

Ben

Old 07-05-2009, 04:11 PM
Paniolo
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by MODCOBRA
Mark, that is an excellent review and I appreciate it very much. I will continue my search. I have been to all of the leather sites, Langlitz, Timot, Bates, etc. I like the looks of the Fox Creek and was hoping for more of a jean type fit, but lined and leather. I know Bates makes good stuff, but their site is pitiful. I would like some better pix of what I would like to order. Again, I am looking for a pair of leather jeans that I can wear everytime on the bike. I am not concerned with the heat and I feel it will not be an issue.

Thanks again,

Ben
Ben,

You're right, their site has NOT been updated in some 20 years, that's why I went to them in person. You may want to call them or Langlitz and talk about measurments and lining. They will work with you. You'll get a measurment sheet to fill out and fax back.

Good Luck and keep us posted.

Mark

Old 07-06-2009, 05:58 AM
MODCOBRA
Tourer

Ben,

You're right, their site has NOT been updated in some 20 years, that's why I went to them in person. You may want to call them or Langlitz and talk about measurments and lining. They will work with you. You'll get a measurment sheet to fill out and fax back.

Mark
I have several e-mails out already and will be making a number of calls this morning.

Thanks again,

Ben

Old 07-06-2009, 07:41 AM
Buzzsaw
Road Captain

I have had a set of the FoxCreek Chaps for 9 years...I had the opportunity to try them on at an event before I bought them. I think the quality is great and was worth the money.

Old 07-06-2009, 09:10 AM
Paniolo
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by MODCOBRA
I have several e-mails out already and will be making a number of calls this morning.

Thanks again,

Ben
Ben,

If you want something and don't see it on their site or catalogue, tell them as they custom make clothing the way you want it. They can add zippered vents, change snaps, make something larger, shorter, vented, perforated, change collars, cuffs, add pockets, you get the idea. When I got my first Bates jacket made they measured me while sitting on my bike to get the right curvature of my elbows and neck to waist measurments. They said the jacket was designed to wear while RIDING and not standing around, like in a bar or at a rally. And they are right. On the bike it's GREAT, no flapping, pinching, binding, rubbing or excess material flapping in the breeze scooping up wind. They will let you pick your choice of leather colors and stitching. Some of the women riders get embroidery and fringes to make a whole "ensemble". You can get reflective material sewn into the seams so it's unobtrusive during the day, but stands out at night.

Remember you are making a lifetime investment, so get it the way you want it.

Good luck.

Old 07-06-2009, 09:13 AM
DrQ
Road Master

I have a set of lined Fox Creek chaps-Excellent quality, butter soft thick leather-Really wish I woulda gotten a FC Jacket---best I've ever seen!

Old 07-06-2009, 09:43 AM
grinchcop
Intermediate

Also consider Johnson Leathers in San Francisco

http://www.johnsonleather.com/

Their jackets are the local industry standard for Bay Area motor officers and they also can make pretty much anything you wish. They also are able to incorporate armor into tradiional designs where it isn't visible.

My first jacket from them was almost 20 years old when I sold it to another cop. My most recent jacket will last longer than I will. Beautiful craftsmanship, a wide selection of designs, great customer service, etc. I will soon be ordering some overpants from them, as they are of the same quality as their jackets.

I'm not affiliated with the company, only a very satisfied customer.

Old 07-08-2009, 09:31 PM
MODCOBRA
Tourer

Ben,

Mark
Well, I opted for the Fox Creek overpants. I ordered them on Monday and they arrived today. Their quality is outstanding and they fit perfectly. After some extended conversations with the good folks at FC, we decided they would work if I ordered my regular waist size, which I did. Normally, you would order two sizes larger to go over jeans.

For the others:

Langlitz: I can see that these (after receiving their catalog) would really be some nice stuff. Starting at $750.00....kinda scared me off. That is just their 'standard' pants. I know, you get what you pay for. With some minor flucuations in my weight over the months, this did not seem to be wise investment for me.

Johnson leathers: Like their look but could get no info on cost and they come with no lining. The lady said she would ask her tailor when he came in and she would get back to me. Still waiting.

Bates: Got some more pix from them thru e-mail and decided I did not care for the look of their product over the Fox Creek. Nice stuff, not to my liking.

Hope this helps others,

Ben

Quick Reply: Fox Creek Leather Overpants