Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

any pics of tour pac pushed forward?

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2009, 10:21 AM
traveler
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts
Default any pics of tour pac pushed forward?

Hey,

Does anyone have a pic of a tour pac that has been pushed forward for solo riding?

I was told the MOCO had the adapter kit, and have always wanted to see one done.

Thanks,

~joe

Old 07-04-2009, 03:25 PM
riteway
Extreme HDF Member
Received 988 Likes on 679 Posts

ICLICK HD member has his pushed up..Drop him a P.M., Outstanding member! Good Luck!! R.W.

Old 07-04-2009, 03:57 PM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by traveler
Hey,

Does anyone have a pic of a tour pac that has been pushed forward for solo riding?

I was told the MOCO had the adapter kit, and have always wanted to see one done.
I have the detachable solo rack #53260-02 which fits '97-'08's. The '09 models use #53260-09. You can see it in my sig photo below, and I also did a write-up describing how to make it work with a Mustang solo seat with backrest. Without moving the TP back an inch or so the backrest was too close to the front of it.

Old 07-04-2009, 04:43 PM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 40 Posts

This is a King Tour Pak mounted on the same HD detachable solo rack referenced in Iclick's post above:

http://

Old 07-04-2009, 04:51 PM
traveler
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

Thanks.

~Joe

Old 07-04-2009, 05:02 PM
PowerFactor
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Now, from what I understood, you couldn't do that with an Ultra (2008) without a major pain, right?

Old 07-04-2009, 05:20 PM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member

Originally Posted by Harleypingman
This is a King Tour Pak mounted on the same HD detachable solo rack referenced in Iclick's post above:
How does the TP backrest work with the seat backrest? I tried the TP backrest alone before pulling the TP back and found it unacceptable, being too high and forward with no lumbar support. That's when I proceeded with using the Mustang backrest and moving the TP back. Now that the TP is moved back I wonder if there would be any improvement by adding the TP backrest. OTOH it would have to be positioned perfectly, as too far forward wouldn't work and too far back I wouldn't touch it--and the TP in its present configuration can't be moved, I don't think.

Old 07-04-2009, 05:22 PM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by PowerFactor
Now, from what I understood, you couldn't do that with an Ultra (2008) without a major pain, right?
Depends on what you consider a "major pain" and how you want to deal with the CB and antennae. If you have the HD Service Manual for your bike, it will explain how to remove the tour pak which will include disconnecting the electrical and the antennae. You can also stop by an HD store and ask the parts guy/gal to print out the instructions that come with the EG Classic detach kit, and ask for the instructions for the CB antenna kits that HD has for CB installation on FLHT/FLHX/FLTR models.

Other HDF'ers have done this with their Ultras. Whether you can consider the effort a "major pain" is personal to you. I seldom ride with the tour pak on the bike and I don't currently use the HK headunit/CB parts, but will, probably this fall or winter. For me, the effort to have the CB available with and without the TP on the bike will be worthwhile. The radio antenna is not relevant to me because I get satisfactory results with an antenna inside the fairing.

Old 07-04-2009, 05:29 PM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member

Originally Posted by PowerFactor
I haven't done it, and HPM gave a good summary, but I have a few comments. After removing the old hardware you'd need to install the front docking kit (53803-06) and the rack (53260-02). I assume the part numbers for your '08 are the same as for my '07. Be forewarned: Installing the docking kit on my '07 was a Royal PITA (caps intended). It took me more time than I feel comfortable admitting, but suffice it to say that it was a real can of worms, bad enough to make even a veteran DIY'er let the dealer tackle the job, but get a quote first. Fabricating and jury-rigging the solo rack to sit further back was a cakewalk by comparison.

Last edited by iclick; 07-04-2009 at 05:40 PM.
Old 07-04-2009, 05:47 PM
PowerFactor
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the advice all. It's something I've always considered doing since my wife rides with me only once in a great while, but I don't want to take the tour-pak off entirely.

I'd probably want to leave the two antennas mounted to the tour-pak right where they are, so that would lessen that hassel. But, the work aside, I'm wondering if it would look strange with the rear speakers sticking too far forward...

I wish there was a pic out there of this done to an ultra (with the speakers still on the pak). I've searched for a long time and never found one. Every time this topic comes up, it grabs my interest again.

Quick Reply: any pics of tour pac pushed forward?