Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Got a low speed wobble? Get your neck adjusted.

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2009, 09:04 PM
Hog Yild
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Got a low speed wobble? Get your neck adjusted.

If you are doing your own 10,000 or 20,000 mile service don't forget to tighten up the neck bearings. This is something I have never done, my Ultra was developing a low speed wobble, it felt like a bent rim or something. If I let go of the handlebars at speed, the bike would slow down and start to oscillate with greater intensity.
I've never adjusted neck bearing on a touring bike myself, so I took it to the dealer today and man what a difference! No more wobble and the bike runs straight and true with hands off the bars. Just like the sportsters I've owned.
It's great to have that new bike feel again.

Old 07-03-2009, 09:14 PM
ddwyer
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've got the low speed wobble at times. I just completed my 10k - but didn't have the right size grease gun to lube the steering head bearings.

How much did your dealer charge to perform the adjustment? I might just take it in.

Old 07-05-2009, 09:02 PM
Hog Yild
Road Master

Originally Posted by ddwyer
I've got the low speed wobble at times. I just completed my 10k - but didn't have the right size grease gun to lube the steering head bearings.

How much did your dealer charge to perform the adjustment? I might just take it in.
I greased the neck bearings a couple weeks before taking it in to the shop. Greasing is something that should be done, but won't take the problem away. They charged me 3/4 of an hour to do just the neck bearing adjustment.

Old 07-06-2009, 07:43 AM
CW4_131A
Road Captain

Hog Yild - Great advice as I'm our of warranty and using my local, but reliable, wrench to do my work and services. Thanks!

Old 07-06-2009, 11:26 PM
JohnCA58
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

that is amazing they could do that correctly in less than an hour. considering the fairing and clutch cable has to be remove and disconnected to do it correctly.

Old 07-07-2009, 11:36 AM
krussell
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Hog Yild
If you are doing your own 10,000 or 20,000 mile service don't forget to tighten up the neck bearings.
Actually, check the tension, then adjust to correct. You may need to tighten, you may need to loosen. And you need to check it at the 1k as well.

Old 07-08-2009, 12:03 PM
Hog Yild
Road Master

Originally Posted by JohnCA58
that is amazing they could do that correctly in less than an hour. considering the fairing and clutch cable has to be remove and disconnected to do it correctly.
I'm not sure if it was done "correctly" as I can't go into the shop area, but I am happy with the results.

Old 07-08-2009, 01:36 PM
nemick
Road Warrior
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnCA58
When you say "correctly", are you referring to the fall away procedure?

Old 07-08-2009, 08:08 PM
Hog Yild
Road Master

Originally Posted by nemick
When you say "correctly", are you referring to the fall away procedure?
Yes, they said they do the fall away procedure, but set them up a little tighter than what is in the manual. What ever they did, I like the feel of it.

Old 07-08-2009, 09:33 PM
dawg
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,223 Likes on 1,840 Posts

Originally Posted by Hog Yild
If you are doing your own 10,000 or 20,000 mile service don't forget to tighten up the neck bearings.
Originally Posted by krussell
Actually, check the tension, then adjust to correct. You may need to tighten, you may need to loosen. And you need to check it at the 1k as well.
Actually you grease the bearings at 1k and 10k. You don't check the adjustment until 25k intervals.

Quick Reply: Got a low speed wobble? Get your neck adjusted.