Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

taillight module, great for safety, cheap too.

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2009, 02:35 PM
emwolb
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Default taillight module, great for safety, cheap too.

i have installed this taillight module on my last three harleys. it's a great safety feature. imagine this, you're riding a harley that has one taillight, the element burns out, or fails. you're riding down the hiway just looking to get ran over by having no taillight. with this module that costs around fifty bucks at harley shops, you have three taillights. there is a module that plugs into the taillight/turn signal wiring under the seat. it's a five minute job, even if you're lazy and slow like me. no splicing. it comes with the correct red turn signal lenses that will fit your model. it makes your turn signals glow red for running lights along with your taillight. they're plenty bright, and it gives you three lights on the rear, the best improvement for safety i've found, please consider it, as it may save your life.

Old 07-03-2009, 02:41 PM
fireman54
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Okay... Any links? Need more info, dude.

Old 07-03-2009, 03:01 PM
emwolb
Ultimate HDF Member

the module kit which includes red lenses for your model, is listed in the 09 parts and accessories harley catalog, on page 657. i hope this helps someone. i let a buddy ride my streetglide last nite, and it does look bright from the rear. far safer in my opinion. and it an easy install. so easy even a caveman could do it.

Old 07-03-2009, 04:29 PM
skratch
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,357 Likes on 2,536 Posts

i prefer the older module that does not incorporate the running light function myself. the running lights are bright! so much so that it looks like you are running with the brakes on. if you modify the module, you can eliminate the running lights function and just have the turn signals illuminate as brake lights.

Old 07-03-2009, 05:48 PM
HogRidr60
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tailights that are LED and VERY BRIGHT

I am working on a simple solution that gives me the brake lights that are very bright even when the AZ sun is in the eyes of the driver behind me, Allows me to add this without having it look like I got it from KMART. Allows me to add it to my Harley Ultra WITHOUT splicing any wires, and is a very inexpensive upgrade.

Next week the last items I need will arrive by UPS.

There are two, 6 inch X 2 inch, ultra bright 20 led, red lense arrays, the perfect mounting plate that has holes already for these pieces and mounts directly to the factory license plate mount,l a 'Back Off', 'Wig-Wag' controller for 2 'separate brake lights', and a Harley 'trailer' wiring adapter that eliminates the 'splicing'.

The total will be slightly less than $100 when completed and I believe since I am NOT 'fooling around' with the 'turn signals' wiring then I don't have any fears of 'messing up' the turn signal flash rate or the HD security system.

If anyone is interested, I will be happy to provide 'details' when completed.

I have also ordered a dual 881 bulb 35 watt HID conversion for my 'stock' spotlights (which look very dim compared to my 6000K HID headlight).

Unfortunately, I ordered these because I couldn't find a 'ultra white' 881 bulb to replace my existing dim bulbs, nor could I find a 'replacement lens and bulb that was an H3 until I got my new J & P Cycles catalog (not affiliated with J & P Cycles).

They have a 4 1/2" lens with a an H3 bulb and there are many replacement bulbs on the market that are very, very bright.

They also have a bright 881 replacement bulb that is 'dirt cheap'.

Anyway, I only spent less than $80 for my dual HID spotight HID upgrade.

I may do the H3 upgrade until the winter when it is 'cooler' to work in the garage.

Old 07-03-2009, 06:42 PM
lp
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,834 Likes on 1,595 Posts

Originally Posted by skratch
i prefer the older module that does not incorporate the running light function myself. the running lights are bright! so much so that it looks like you are running with the brakes on. if you modify the module, you can eliminate the running lights function and just have the turn signals illuminate as brake lights.
+1

The new modules are dangerious in my opinion. Can't tell when the brakes ARE applied in the day time. Looks like the brakes are on all the time.

lp

Old 07-03-2009, 06:46 PM
SciFiGuy
Road Master
Received 31 Likes on 23 Posts

I was thinking of pulling the one I had on the old bike and put it on the new Street Glide but I saw where it stated that installing it on an 09 FLHX is not DOT compiant due to the fact that the turn signals are so close to the brake light.

Old 07-03-2009, 07:58 PM
emwolb
Ultimate HDF Member

scifiguy, i have it on my streetglide, and there are three distinct red lights as viewed from the rear. the brake light really lights up when you hit the brake. there is no mistaking it for riding with brakes on.

Old 07-03-2009, 08:19 PM
990rtracer
Road Captain
Received 47 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by skratch
I agree 110%, I have the old style (I guess?) on my bike and the now red turn signals only come on with the brake light, when we are on group rides everybody behind me comments on how great they work and are SEEN. Another guy we ride with must have the new style as his lights are always on and looks as he is always dragging the brake!

Old 07-03-2009, 08:22 PM
SoFla
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by emwolb
i have installed this taillight module on my last three harleys. it's a great safety feature. imagine this, you're riding a harley that has one taillight, the element burns out, or fails. you're riding down the hiway just looking to get ran over by having no taillight. with this module that costs around fifty bucks at harley shops, you have three taillights. there is a module that plugs into the taillight/turn signal wiring under the seat. it's a five minute job, even if you're lazy and slow like me. no splicing. it comes with the correct red turn signal lenses that will fit your model. it makes your turn signals glow red for running lights along with your taillight. they're plenty bright, and it gives you three lights on the rear, the best improvement for safety i've found, please consider it, as it may save your life.
I just had it done with my 1000 mike service. Don't know whey it does not come that wway... wait, I know.... and extra 50.00 charge at the accessory counter.

Quick Reply: taillight module, great for safety, cheap too.