Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

**TOURING HANDLEBARS**Wild One WO508, 518, 513, 515, 502 - Handlebars

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2013 | 09:16 AM
Dakotazeb
Tourer
Default WO508 vs. WO517

With so many bars and so many different recommendations it's difficult to make a decision on a new set of bars. And I understand a lot of it is personal preference. I have a new 110th Anniversary Road King and need to get the bars back further. I was about ready to go with the Heritage Style bars but I'm concerned they won't provide the pullback I'm looking for. I'm now looking at either the WO508 or the WO517. Looks like I'd get about the same pullback with each bar but the 517's would be a tad higher. I know both these bars have somewhat of a "wheelborrow" effect but it really doesn't concern me as I have no wrist problems. Any insight on comparing these bars would be appreciated. Thanks.

Old 04-26-2013 | 05:11 PM
crazylaneSG
Stage III

Question,

Ive read through a few of these threads, and wasn't able to find the answer I was looking for. Maybe I just read to fast, and/or was drooling to much over the pics. But,

I have an 07 FLHX, I'm really thinking about the 12" Yaffe Apes. Ive heard some say the only thing needing changed out is the Clutch cable, some say all the wires and cables need changed.

Can someone shed a little light on this please?

Stock bars are 8" on my 07 as well right?

And also, does anyone have a link to the do it your self thread for Bars?

Lane

Old 05-15-2013 | 04:59 PM
Bagger99
Novice

Originally Posted by Eddie Haskell
I installed some Wild 1 577's (12.5" bagger apes) on my 2010 Ultra, luv em! I am 5'11, If you have questions just PM me.
Hey brother jus got the same bars for my e. glide
Do you know part number for cables and what length

Old 05-16-2013 | 07:17 PM
Scott Limited
6th Gear

I just installed a set of Wild One Mini Apes (575) on my 2010 Limited, a lot of labor but they are awesome! +4" (over stock) on clutch cable ($75 from Dennis Kirk) and reroute wiring harness for the rest except I broke one pin in the throttle by wire plug so I bought the CVO TBW harness (HD part #32310-08) $108, and the stock front brake line worked just fine.

Old 05-22-2013 | 08:23 AM
cmetal
Stage II

Originally Posted by hojack
I'm planning on these bars for a 2013 FLTRU. Has anyone tried these bars on the RGU? All info says I can install with out any cables or wire extensions. I'm 6'1 with a 35" arm length and 32" inseam. Thanks for any info.

Looking to so the same. Did you do it & what happened? anybody w/ '13

Last edited by cmetal; 05-22-2013 at 11:16 AM.
Old 06-04-2013 | 10:08 AM
crlnacntryboy
Advanced

great input in this thread

Old 06-07-2013 | 12:48 PM
JimOldDog
4th Gear
Wink Apes and shields

Originally Posted by reds2harleys
For anyone running Apes I have a question ? I have Apes on my Softail and love everything about them but I get blown around a lot at highway speeds - 70 plus. I'm sure anyone out there running Apes without a shield knows what I'm talking about. I'm thinking about putting 12.5 or 14in Apes on my Road King and I'm wondering how much the shield helps with this.

I had 16" Apes on my 1993 Fatboy with a quick disconect Windshild so I have road it both ways, and understand what you are talking about.
I would take the Shild off to go on poker runs and to bar hop around town but when I planned on a road trip on the interstate I would put on the Shlid it makes a world of difference.

Old 06-07-2013 | 01:10 PM
JimOldDog
4th Gear
Default Boy my wrist hurt

I just got a 2010 Ultra Glide and when I ride it say 200-300miles my right wrist hurts like heck.

I had 16” Apes on my 1993 Fatboy and liked that setup ok nopain after riding all day.

Here are my sizes and age I’m 66 years old weigh 260 lbs, 5’10”tall, 33” arm length, 31” inseam, 7.5” oh what that’s TMI.

I’m going to change my bars out but I sure would like tohave some way to find out what would be best for me before I buy them.

And buy the way before I get the bars I’m going to have myset shaved down some.

I do love a Harley but they sure don’t come comfortablestock you have to make it yours don’t you.

Old 06-11-2013 | 07:07 AM
petroman
Stage IV

Does any body know if wild 1 chubby handlebars are good as they say, I'm planning to change mine from stock to wild 1 chubbys 12.5 apes wo577 and due you recommend them 2007 FLHTCUSE-2

Old 06-11-2013 | 08:32 AM
petroman
Stage IV
Default wild 1 handle bars

Do you recommend the wild 1 handle bars I'm thinking about putting a set on my 2007 FLHTCUSE-2 Screaming eagle ultra
Originally Posted by RoadKingKamchi
Hey all, I just came back from a local dealership that had a 2009 Road King with Wild 1 Inc WO508's going on. They let me sit on the bike, and take pictures, which I will post later. I have 513's on my bike right now, which I am going to be switching out of for reasons to come - I will take pictures of me holding them as well.

Back to the 508's, as I see a lot of people looking for replacement bars... I am just over 6'1'', 190lbs, 33" inseam, and wear a dress shirt with 35" sleeves. I like to ride sitting straight up, and slouching back at times, and the stock RKC bars were killing me - too far forward (11" pullback) and too low (7" rise).

The 508's have 5.5" rise, but the hand grip is level to the bend, so they are practically straight back from the front of the bike, and are at the same height as the stock bars give or take. These bars are 32.5" wide, so it creates a wheelbarrel type of effect when you consider that they have a 16" pullback. Since I am tall, sit back in my seat, and reach forward / down to the bars, my shoulders have to rotate forward / my scapulae have to extend outward a tiny bit (which may or may not cause middle back pain eventually), and while my forearms are pointing forward, my wrists / hands are then projected at a 45 degree angle in order to have full contact with the grip (I also feel some pressure on the outside of my hand since this is not a normal angle). This would not be comfortable over the long-haul - The pictures will tell the tale.

The 518's are a little wider at 35.5", and have 14.25" pullback, so the angle is less on the wrists / hands, but now the bar is further away (and the same height of 5.5"), which will be better in that regard, but now I have to rotate my shoulders forward / extend my scapulae more to reach them at that low position. This will most likely begin to hurt my back in time.

I almost forgot... I have 513's on there now, with 8.5" rise, and 11.5" pull back - they are in alignment with the fork tubes. They are still a little too far forward for me, and a little low for my preferred riding postion. I could rotate them towards me, but that will take away from the height that I like when riding sitting upright, so I need some more length (I know that doesn't sound right) to be able to move them forward and back.

The owner of the harley dealership, whose bike had the 508's going on it, took me to the back of the service area where one of his wrenches had 16" apes on his road king (pushed forward of the forks), and sat me on it. AHHHHHHHHHH... height... good.... no reaching forward.... good.... no scapulae extension... good.... and as weird as it looks to me, these apes are a blessing for me as a taller guy. With the 09 frame being extended some, reach is even more of an issue, and the apes can be moved around quite a bit. I will get as many pictures as I can for people, and with that, I think I will be placing my order for WO502's, with 12'5" rise and 12" pullback.

The name of the dealership is Williams Harley Davidson, in Lebanon, NJ. I didn't buy my bike there, and they knew I was only coming there to look at the bars for reference sake. I had 3 different people talking and working with me, including the owner, a parts person, and a mechanic, which showed me that they care about the people who come through their door.. amazing! It is also noteworthy that A LOT of bikes were in there being customized, so they must be doing something right. I hope this helps....

Quick Reply: **TOURING HANDLEBARS**Wild One WO508, 518, 513, 515, 502 - Handlebars