Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

**TOURING HANDLEBARS**Wild One WO508, 518, 513, 515, 502 - Handlebars

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2012 | 07:18 PM
Northbound Southerner
Elite HDF Member
Default Wild One 14" Chubby Apes

I am 5'7" and they are perfectly shoulder height...

Old 09-07-2012 | 09:24 AM
The Cheesehead
Road Master
Default Biting me in the ***!!!

Amazing bikes! I'm putting 16" WO509's on this weekend...thoughts on where to go to learn how? I've done bars twice but never the wires, clutch & brake. Just a bit nervous about what I don't know biting me in the ***!!

Mouth...thanks for offering to be the "phone-a-friend"!!!

Old 09-11-2012 | 07:05 AM
Frisian HD
Road Master

578's on my 2011 SG .....Lov'm !!

Old 09-11-2012 | 12:04 PM
Frisian HD
Road Master

And a few more

Old 09-13-2012 | 09:04 AM
Dooley
Outstanding HDF Member

I've read through this thread and others and I'm still confused....more pics from the riding position and the side would help.
What I think I am looking for is bars that come 2" up and 2" back from the stock bars when set at the same angle to the forks and keep a neutral wrist angle.
It looks like the Heritage style bars can do this except they have to be angled back away from the forks to keep your wrists from turning up and out.

Any recommendations based on this?

Old 09-13-2012 | 05:57 PM
2ropes
Road Captain

Originally Posted by Dooley
I've read through this thread and others and I'm still confused....more pics from the riding position and the side would help.
What I think I am looking for is bars that come 2" up and 2" back from the stock bars when set at the same angle to the forks and keep a neutral wrist angle.
It looks like the Heritage style bars can do this except they have to be angled back away from the forks to keep your wrists from turning up and out.

I'm looking for about the same as you and don't want the Heritage style bars because of that angle you speak of. I want my bars to follow the line of the forks while giving me a few inches up and back. It's looking like the 10" or 12.5" apes is about the only choice from what I can figure.

Old 09-16-2012 | 08:27 PM
blgrass
Stage I

Is there anybody out there that is 5ft 9inches tall with a sleeve length 27.5 and has changed there handlebars

Old 09-19-2012 | 09:40 AM
FatBoySpyder
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Dooley

Originally Posted by 2ropes
I'm looking for about the same as you and don't want the Heritage style bars because of that angle you speak of. I want my bars to follow the line of the forks while giving me a few inches up and back. It's looking like the 10" or 12.5" apes is about the only choice from what I can figure.
I'm 6'0" 245lbs and had the same issue as you both. I bought the Heritage bars and found they just wouldn't work. They would have to have been pulled too far back and they still felt a bit too low so, I ordered the WO Chubby 14" Apes and yes, new clutch and brake cables (8" longer and it gave plenty of reach with some to spare but not clog things up...P.S., Drag Specialties had a great price on the braided cables)

Anyway, my buddy ran all the wiring inside the bars and it looks great and the new braided cables look awesome. The bars were perfect. I got the reach I wanted with only a very slight pull back from the fork angle. It's barely noticeable and the height was right on. My first test with the new bars and also a new Solo seat with rider backrest from "Ultimate Seat" (Owner Dez is a great guy BTW. He set me up personally at his store in Daytona) So, my first real test was riding to Key West this past weekend for the annual Peterson's Poker Run. It was about a 275 mile ride from my house to Key West, rode around all weekend then back home and I was so comfortable the whole time. Just sat back and relaxed. No Neck, shoulder or back pain/crick and of course the seat was great too. Stopping for fuel was plenty to stretch and also the various bar stops for the adult beverages . Yeah, I'm a happy camper now with the WO bars...

BTW, my bikes a 2012 Road King Classic. I bought a 2012 Fatboy in June but was real unhappy with the ride so I traded it back to the dealer for my Road King in Mid August. Dealer took good care of me on the deal so no complaints.

Last edited by FatBoySpyder; 09-19-2012 at 09:43 AM.
Old 09-21-2012 | 06:56 AM
Dooley
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by FatBoySpyder
I'm 6'0" 245lbs and had the same issue as you both. I bought the Heritage bars and found they just wouldn't work. They would have to have been pulled too far back and they still felt a bit too low so, I ordered the WO Chubby 14" Apes and yes, new clutch and brake cables (8" longer and it gave plenty of reach with some to spare but not clog things up...P.S., Drag Specialties had a great price on the braided cables)

Anyway, my buddy ran all the wiring inside the bars and it looks great and the new braided cables look awesome. The bars were perfect. I got the reach I wanted with only a very slight pull back from the fork angle. It's barely noticeable and the height was right on. My first test with the new bars and also a new Solo seat with rider backrest from "Ultimate Seat" (Owner Dez is a great guy BTW. He set me up personally at his store in Daytona) So, my first real test was riding to Key West this past weekend for the annual Peterson's Poker Run. It was about a 275 mile ride from my house to Key West, rode around all weekend then back home and I was so comfortable the whole time. Just sat back and relaxed. No Neck, shoulder or back pain/crick and of course the seat was great too. Stopping for fuel was plenty to stretch and also the various bar stops for the adult beverages . Yeah, I'm a happy camper now with the WO bars...

BTW, my bikes a 2012 Road King Classic. I bought a 2012 Fatboy in June but was real unhappy with the ride so I traded it back to the dealer for my Road King in Mid August. Dealer took good care of me on the deal so no complaints.
Any pics?
I would think that 14 inch apes would be considerably higher than 2" over stock no?
I love the look of the stock Road King bars and would be interested to find ones that keep the stock look as much as possible but still give a bit more height and reach without the wheelbarrow wrist angle.
Oh, and not having to change cables would be a plus too.

Old 09-26-2012 | 09:30 AM
silent1
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by cvmacowboy
Interested to know if anyone has 16" or better apes on their road king?
Me. I got 16" Wild 1's (WO509) installed last week. I did braided cables and went +8" over stock per recommendation from Wild 1. I'm 6'0" 205 pounds, and the bars fit great. I have them pushed forward just a little bit, but I'm not stretching to reach them at all.

I'm very happy with them and get a ton of compliments.

Quick Reply: **TOURING HANDLEBARS**Wild One WO508, 518, 513, 515, 502 - Handlebars