Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

**TOURING HANDLEBARS**Wild One WO508, 518, 513, 515, 502 - Handlebars

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2011 | 08:52 PM
Zuul
Cruiser

I can't see pics yet - seems I don't have sufficient permissions. Probably need to post more or something.

I switched my choice to the 13" Burly Baggerbar as I was thinking about keeping costs under control a bit better and that choice doesn't need any new cables or extensions. For my first attempt ever I thought this was smart but after reading all the threads in here on the subject I'm kind of leaning on just going for it and getting 16" chubby apes. I think I would like having my hands up higher and I really like the way they look in the photos I can see.

Old 08-12-2011 | 08:41 PM
Concrete Man
Outstanding HDF Member

I have just ordered mustang solo with backrest to go on 06 RKC (after weeks of reading this great forum, and careful deliberation). Now I'm hoping for this thread to get revived again for my own selfish reasons. I just love the classic look of the wo518's, but when I try to simulate their measurements it feels like they might be too wide for my wingspan.
So, I am hopeful that some of the guys with the different bars might come up with a few more personal stats to help in the consuming process of chosing right. I'm thinking that chest size must come into play along with age height, sleeve, and inseam.
I'm 58 so getting a little weeker in the back and shoulders. 6 ft, 44 chest, 34 sleeve, 34 inseam, 175 lbs
I hope the isn't too crazy, but just wondering if there's anyone out there similar build running the (IMO) classic 518's with pure comfort? Or, am I going to have to go with the not so classic (IMO) 517's or apes to get comfortable in my old age?

Old 08-12-2011 | 10:05 PM
evhid1
Cruiser
Default Dealer Handlebar swap

Originally Posted by Biker90
Does anyone know about how much a dealer charges for swapping handlebars?
I was quoted by the dealer the other day would be $900 to $1300 depending on what bars you choose. Seams all the cables and " twist grip sensor " need swaped too.

Old 08-13-2011 | 06:16 AM
Audioi
Cruiser

Here are some different angles of the WO513's

Attached Thumbnails **TOURING HANDLEBARS**Wild One WO508, 518, 513, 515, 502 - Handlebars-p1030832.jpg   **TOURING HANDLEBARS**Wild One WO508, 518, 513, 515, 502 - Handlebars-p1030831.jpg   **TOURING HANDLEBARS**Wild One WO508, 518, 513, 515, 502 - Handlebars-p1030824.jpg  
Old 08-13-2011 | 06:43 AM
Concrete Man
Outstanding HDF Member

I had an Indy change bars, change and supply used brake rotor for $280 (no cable changes) but come to think of it he did extend the wiring.

Old 08-13-2011 | 07:31 AM
Twrguy
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Concrete Man
I have just ordered mustang solo with backrest to go on 06 RKC (after weeks of reading this great forum, and careful deliberation). Now I'm hoping for this thread to get revived again for my own selfish reasons. I just love the classic look of the wo518's, but when I try to simulate their measurements it feels like they might be too wide for my wingspan.
So, I am hopeful that some of the guys with the different bars might come up with a few more personal stats to help in the consuming process of chosing right. I'm thinking that chest size must come into play along with age height, sleeve, and inseam.
I'm 58 so getting a little weeker in the back and shoulders. 6 ft, 44 chest, 34 sleeve, 34 inseam, 175 lbs
I hope the isn't too crazy, but just wondering if there's anyone out there similar build running the (IMO) classic 518's with pure comfort? Or, am I going to have to go with the not so classic (IMO) 517's or apes to get comfortable in my old age?
Have you looked at the 508's?? See above for pictures. I am using the mustang seat w/backrest and I could not be happier!! I'm 5'10" 33 sleeve and I don't know hat my chest is but I wear a 48 Jacket. The bar change is pretty simple and for the 508's or 518's you will need wire extensions. The 8" kit from Namz worked fine for me. Kit is color coded to match bike harness and butt connections are already made. You just have to plug the wires together and heat shrink. I got a pretty good heat gun from Harbor Freight for 12 bucks! Just make sure you diagram the pin out (wire locations in the connectors) for when you have to put them back together. It took me about 5 hours to complete. However if I need to do it again I'm sure I could get it done in 2-3hrs. If you don't have one already, get the service manual it will be very helpful if you get stuck...or in my case can't read your own writing on your wiring diagram I absolutely love the comfortable ride on my bike now,...and with the money you save installing yourself you can always buy more stuff to put on it!!!!

Old 08-13-2011 | 01:02 PM
Plow64
Stellar HDF Member
Default Swapping from WO504's to WO518's

I'm in the middle of swapping out 504's for 518's on my 1995 Road King. The 504's were "better" than stock, but still a bit of a reach for me (6'3", 34 inseam, what's the standard for measuring "reach"?). The 504's became uncomfortable (neck, shoulder and lower back fatigue) when riding for over 45 minutes or out on the highway at higher wind loads. Compared to the 504's, the 518's provide 1" more Rise, 1" more width and most importantly 1.75" more pullback, which should put me in the "sweet spot" and eliminate the need to reach forward when riding, as well as allow for a more upright position when riding. I think the 504's would be real nice for folks who sit lower in the saddle.

What I've learned so far during the installation process: the 518's require extended wiring. Less than an inch extends through the slot into the headlight nacelle. I ordered 8" wire extensions (4RCustoms) to allow more flexability to position the wire connectors inside the nacelle. (IMO, 2"-4" wire extenders will work for an RK, but it doesn't allow much leeway to position the wire connectors where you want them). Also ordered new throttle and idle cables +4" from Barnett's (S&S E Shorty Carb), as well as a complete upper/lower brake line unit +4" from Magnum.

Note: Will update/edit this post when installation and test ride is complete.

Old 08-13-2011 | 05:10 PM
Concrete Man
Outstanding HDF Member

Hey Twrguy, those look really good on a great looking bike. I have looked at the 508s but got a little spooked from reading about wrist angle, and maybe reaching down. Have you noticed any negatives? I also wonder if pull back could be a little to much, or is that possible? Bars on lap? Etc.?
We should start a shop to try these sit ups on, like a suit. I stalked a bike at Hooters bike night that I thought had 518s for a couple of hrs hoping that the owner would come back to it and let me try it on, but I guess he had something better happening. So, I went home unsatisfied to my loving wife and kids.

Old 08-14-2011 | 07:01 PM
Twrguy
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Concrete Man
Hey Twrguy, those look really good on a great looking bike. I have looked at the 508s but got a little spooked from reading about wrist angle, and maybe reaching down. Have you noticed any negatives? I also wonder if pull back could be a little to much, or is that possible? Bars on lap? Etc.?
We should start a shop to try these sit ups on, like a suit. I stalked a bike at Hooters bike night that I thought had 518s for a couple of hrs hoping that the owner would come back to it and let me try it on, but I guess he had something better happening. So, I went home unsatisfied to my loving wife and kids.
Just got home from 200 mile Sunday ride. I have not experienced anything but comfort since I installed these bars. The pull back is perfect for me, with my back against the backrest on the Mustang seat my hands are comfortably on the grips. This was not possible with he stock bars. I have ridden longer trips and have had no base of neck middle of the back pain. The angle of my hands on the grips feels natural and comfortable to me. I could not be happier with my setup,....well that's not true, I'm adding the HD Chrome Boom speakers to the bars next week

Old 08-14-2011 | 07:42 PM
Concrete Man
Outstanding HDF Member

That sounds great! I was really hoping for the 508 or 518's to stay with the classic look. After I get the seat on tuesday I'm going to 'start to make my final decision' on bars. Thanks for the report!

Quick Reply: **TOURING HANDLEBARS**Wild One WO508, 518, 513, 515, 502 - Handlebars