Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

whats the best order of dialing in comfort

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2009, 01:54 PM
Jags93
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default whats the best order of dialing in comfort

kinda new to this forum. I picked up an '09 RG a month ago and absolutley love it but need to change a few things to make the ride more comfortable for me - i.e. reduced reach handle bars, different windshield and perhaps a rider backrest. Is there a particular order of change I should follow? For example, I'm afraid if I change the bars then get a backrest I might find the bars too close to me. I also experience wind buffeting above 55mph where it shakes my helmet to the point of affecting my vision. I believe the handlebars and back rest will change where my head will ultimatley rest so I know the windshield will be last. What should I look to change first - handlebars or add the backrest? I'm 5'8" with a roughly 30" inseam.
Thanks,

Old 07-02-2009, 02:05 PM
rogerfromco
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Jags93
kinda new to this forum. I picked up an '09 RG a month ago and absolutley love it but need to change a few things to make the ride more comfortable for me - i.e. reduced reach handle bars, different windshield and perhaps a rider backrest. Is there a particular order of change I should follow? For example, I'm afraid if I change the bars then get a backrest I might find the bars too close to me. I also experience wind buffeting above 55mph where it shakes my helmet to the point of affecting my vision. I believe the handlebars and back rest will change where my head will ultimatley rest so I know the windshield will be last. What should I look to change first - handlebars or add the backrest? I'm 5'8" with a roughly 30" inseam.
Thanks,

Get your seat first that makes a good ride height and comfort.

Bars second, as they will determine your back angle if you don't have a backrest

Windshield last like you said, since you will be certain what your riding position is at that point.

Old 07-02-2009, 02:14 PM
Jags93
Road Master

I've already decided to keep the stock seat, just considering a backrest.

How practical are they for short in town runs?

Old 07-02-2009, 02:21 PM
HDV-GLIDE
Elite HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 30 Posts

On my SG, I changed and modified the seat, installed pull back bars, riders backrest and a 7" shield with wings. I can ride all day now without any type of pain anywhere in my body. It did take all of the changes to get to the comfort zone for me.

But yes, either change seat or have it modified (sides shaved, lowered, memory foam, etc) and then the adjustable riders backrest. Do these two mods before deciding on the shield height. Still having issues reaching the bars (pain in shoulder blades), go with pull back bars.

Old 07-02-2009, 02:33 PM
Jags93
Road Master

Alright then. Backrest first it is. Hopefully I won't even need to change the bars.

Old 07-03-2009, 09:03 AM
dklanecky
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Jags93
Alright then. Backrest first it is. Hopefully I won't even need to change the bars.

That's what happened with mine, added the adjustable HD backrest, which also improves my posture, then brought the stock bars down just a hair closer to me, and it fits perectly now. Clearview windshield with the recurve, and I'm pretty happy!

Old 07-03-2009, 10:29 AM
HDRider2002
Road Master
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

I know guys that run their rider backrest all the time, its all just personal preference i guess.

Old 07-04-2009, 05:00 AM
emwolb
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

sorta seems like a backrest would make it a lot tougher to get on and off the bike. i've not used one, nor am i likely to. anything that captures you in one position, i don't think i'd like each to their own though.

Old 07-04-2009, 07:24 AM
skootchnc
Grand HDF Member
Veteran: Air Force
Received 502 Likes on 260 Posts

Seats are always the first mod on a bike for ME..... you like the seat... and it's position, you're already ahead of the game.
I ride with the rider's back rest on all the time, passenger's back rest too. not a problem... the rider's will fold down out of your way..... plenty of room for me to adjust myself... but like emwolb said... to each their own

I'm happy with my Clear view +2 w/vent...although the cee bailey 16' euro intrigues me. You might consider Hogg chops hard lowers too

Old 07-06-2009, 01:38 PM
Jags93
Road Master

So are you folding down the backrest everytime you get on the bike?
I'm wondering if the way I'm sitting on the seat if my back will even touch it. I'd appreciate it if someone can post a close up pic of where exactly the front of the backrest sits in relation to the seat.

Quick Reply: whats the best order of dialing in comfort