Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

lyndall brake pads for brembos, huge difference?

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2009, 07:58 PM
emwolb
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Default lyndall brake pads for brembos, huge difference?

curious about this, because i would like to improve braking, although the brembos are far superior than what went before, if there is a noticeable improvement, then why not. suggestions?

Old 07-01-2009, 11:05 PM
05LowRider
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I can't say what the front brakes will be like. But I recently replaced the back brake pads with the Lyndall Z pads to get rid of the annoying squeal. It took a couple hundred miles for the pads to seat in. Before they were seated, the rear braking was greatly reduced in comparison to the stock pads. But I always thought the stock pads were a little too grabby. Which isn't good for the rear! Since breaking them in it's great! Very predictable braking. No noise. Very little brake dust. I've also noticed that I don't get the ABS kicking in for the rear brakes for every little bump or road imperfection I hit while braking like I did with the stock pads. Like I said, a bit too grabby!

Old 07-01-2009, 11:47 PM
DuraGlide
Road Warrior
Received 119 Likes on 78 Posts

I put the Z pads on the rear to try and stop the squeal. After 3500 miles they still didn't come close to having the stopping power of the stock pads. Also developed an annoying squeak under 25mph without the brakes being applied. Put a new set of stock pads on with the HD anti-squeak kit. So far no squeal and the brakes are back to their original power. Only have 500 miles on the new set. Have Zs on the front too with polished RC Components rotors and there is no danger of locking the front wheel up unless you are on ice

Last edited by DuraGlide; 07-01-2009 at 11:53 PM. Reason: add fronts
Old 07-02-2009, 06:34 AM
luc.who
Outstanding HDF Member

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

I put the gold pads on to remove the squeal. At a few hundred miles the squeal came back with the gold pads. I can't honestly say that I see an improvement in stopping with the pads. I actually think the stock pads stopped better.

I now have over 1K miles on the gold pads, and the squeal is not as bad as stock. But I can't say the gold pads solve the squeal problem. I have been told if you replace pads, use the squeal stop liquid on the pads. You can buy that at a local autozone.

Old 07-02-2009, 07:38 AM
Oldman Harley
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I too used the Z pads from Lyndall and intially they didn't stop as well as the OEM but I installed them to get rid of the squeal and it worked for about 3000 miles now the squeal is back and is louder than ever. I'll be looking to try another brand real soon.

Tim

Old 07-02-2009, 07:59 AM
cosshog
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I put the Z plus pads on front and rear, 1- to stop the 18 wheel trucker sound from the rear and 2- for better stopping. I have to say both have been accomplished. No more squeal from the rear and I am very pleased with the stopping power of these pads with no brake-in period. I have done about 3500 miles now and they are performing as well as the day I put them on.

Old 07-02-2009, 08:01 AM
beary
Grand HDF Member
Received 282 Likes on 187 Posts

Originally Posted by 05LowRider
I've also noticed that I don't get the ABS kicking in for the rear brakes for every little bump or road imperfection I hit while braking like I did with the stock pads. Like I said, a bit too grabby!
That is very interesting. I hadn't thought of that, but this may be the reason for me to jump on Zpads before my stock pads wear out on my new SG. The ABS kicking in is annoying.

As for the squeal: I used to have the problem both on stock and Lyndall brakes. A mechanice told me that glaze is a major cause of squealing and to brake hard a few times by practicing emergency stops to get rid of it. That has always worked for me.

Beary

Old 07-02-2009, 08:07 AM
_Flea_
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Interesting read. I was considerin' switchin' to the Lyndall Z pads, but I think I'll stick with stock. I was gonna make the switch to try to keep my white walls cleaner. I'd rather have better stopping than clean white walls. I like the way the stock brakes perform. Not worth the switch if the Lyndall Z pads don't stop as well.

Old 07-02-2009, 09:21 AM
spence222
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I put Lyndalls on front and rear....am not very impressed at all....fronts squeal more than the stock pads ever did....have heard about taking pads off and scuffing them with 60 grit...hell for what I paid for these pads they should've been scuffed at the factory!!

Old 07-02-2009, 09:26 AM
luc.who
Outstanding HDF Member

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by spence222
I put Lyndalls on front and rear....am not very impressed at all....fronts squeal more than the stock pads ever did....have heard about taking pads off and scuffing them with 60 grit...hell for what I paid for these pads they should've been scuffed at the factory!!
I called Lyndall and that was their recommendation to hit both the pads and the rotors with 60 grit. I did that, re-installed. Can tell you its better..but I hate coming to a stop sign with my frigging brakes squealing....

Quick Reply: lyndall brake pads for brembos, huge difference?