Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

York PA plant tour- Hotels?

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2009, 06:45 AM
shrydog
Cruiser
Received 70 Likes on 39 Posts

The new models are coming off the line and being staged in warehouses until the manufacturers show later this month. On that day the HD website will be updated and the bikes will start arriving at the dealers. The tour is "watered down" in the mean time but is still interesting. Gettysburg and Carlise bike events are happening this month, you might as well schedule your visit around one of them or wait until September for open house at the plant. They are likely moving the plant out of York within two years so I wouldn't wait too long.

Old 07-02-2009, 07:34 AM
HDV-GLIDE
Elite HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by shrydog
The new models are coming off the line and being staged in warehouses until the manufacturers show later this month. On that day the HD website will be updated and the bikes will start arriving at the dealers. The tour is "watered down" in the mean time but is still interesting. Gettysburg and Carlise bike events are happening this month, you might as well schedule your visit around one of them or wait until September for open house at the plant. They are likely moving the plant out of York within two years so I wouldn't wait too long.
Is that a fact that the plant is moving or just an assumption because of all the press lately???

Old 07-02-2009, 08:02 AM
cosshog
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Stay in Gettysburg PA only about a 30 min. ride from the plant and a whole lot more to do and see and nicer area.

Old 07-02-2009, 09:36 AM
luc.who
Outstanding HDF Member
Veteran: Navy
Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by cosshog
Stay in Gettysburg PA only about a 30 min. ride from the plant and a whole lot more to do and see and nicer area.
+1. I would consider staying it GBurg. The rides west from Gburg have much less traffic. You are only 1/2 hour to the plant off of route 30. There is a nice shop in GBurg, that they have something going on almost every weekend. Look at their web site. http://www.battlefieldharley-davidson.com/

Old 07-02-2009, 11:00 AM
shrydog
Cruiser
Received 70 Likes on 39 Posts

It's kind of an educated assumption due to the fact that the union went on strike during the last contract and historically when companies start talking about something like this, things are already underway. They are currently conducting a six-month study to see if it is cost worthy. It may just be tactics to get the union and state representatives to negotiate to lower operating costs. Ironically, Governor Rendell has never even visited the plant but made a phone call within days of the announcement. The Caterpillar plant went through the same thing here ten years ago and moved to (non-union) South Carolina leaving 2500 employees without jobs because they were to greedy and stubborn. They made $25 per hour, had free heath care and several weeks vacation and always wanted more.

Old 07-02-2009, 01:02 PM
karz10
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by n8dc
you should be good .. I think they come out the end of july if i remember right..
To confirm, I fwd the hotel recommendations to my friends, and the comments over the new models, and he replied w/ this, for anyone wondering about when the full tour is supposed to be back:

I spoke with Jim McIntyre (Operations Tour Manager) about 6 weeks ago to make sure they would have the tours during the time we are going. He said they would be in full operation mode during the first week of August. The new 2010 HD models get released the last week of July to the dealerships and HD displays them at the Convention Center in Rapid City, SD during the rally. We are good to go!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks for bringing this up though, and hopefully the hotel recommendations will help them...

Old 07-02-2009, 03:16 PM
skooba
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

We went to see the York Plant around this time a couple of years ago and the tours were abreviated due to the new model releases. We got the general tour of the front area and the short movie they show and a quick walk around the mfg floor. But nothing was running and they wouldn't take us into the assembly area. I was totally disappointed. I would call first to make sure that you don't end up with a half tour like we got.

I would if your in the area and haven't seen it visit the Gettysburg battlefield. A very sobering experience, there are a couple bus tours which will give you a good explanation of the points of interest but its really cool to then go back ride your bike around the park on your bike so you can stop were you want and see the battlefield from ground level. We went for the bus in the morning and went back a night at twilight. There are hotels in the downtown area that will accept your bike in the parking area without a hassle. You can ride your bikes up to York from there, you won't be at the factory more than 2-3 hours if the tours are cut short.

Old 07-05-2009, 04:37 PM
luc.who
Outstanding HDF Member
Veteran: Navy
Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

I was riding South on 83 today, exit 22, one exit north of 30 has a brand new Homewood suites. I think that would be a very good option for hotels in the york Plant area.