Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Trading a new Sundowner for a Mustang seat

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2009 | 03:47 PM
shortride
|
Ultimate HDF Member
Default Trading a new Sundowner for a Mustang seat

After mounting my new Sundowner It seems that the seat raised me about 1". After contacting New Roc HD, they said I could return it and exchange it for a Mustang with a backrest. I think my '07 King will be happier along with me. Anyone else changed a Sundowner for a Mustang with backrest?

Old 07-01-2009 | 04:02 PM
testifer
Road Master

dont know what one u have but my deep bucket didnt raise me. i had a mustang on my other bike and thought the sundowner was much better

Old 07-01-2009 | 04:19 PM
shortride
|
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by testifer
dont know what one u have but my deep bucket didnt raise me. i had a mustang on my other bike and thought the sundowner was much better
Sorry but I didn't clarify my statement. The Sundowner seem to make me sit higher than the stock seat. I guess everybody's back-side is different. The main reason I'm returning the Sundowner is because I wanted a backrest and didn't realize a backrest was not available for the Sundowner. If the Sundowner had a backrest, I could have been happy with it. I don't know this for sure but everyone says the Mustang sits a little bit lower than the stock seat.

Old 07-01-2009 | 08:29 PM
Streetrunner
Outstanding HDF Member

I have a Sundowner and a Mustang Solo with rider backrest. The Sundowner definitly sits me lower than the Mustang. The mustang will also move you further from the bars which can cause upper back discomfort on a long ride.
The Mustang is certainly a comfortable seat but the Sundowner puts me in a way better riding position.
I you are interested I may be willing to sell the mustang with backrest.

Old 07-01-2009 | 09:35 PM
Garemlin
Ultimate HDF Member

It is an illusion that you are sitting higher. I thought the same thing but what it is, is the Sundowner actually forces you to sit upright and not slouch. I like it because I normallyslouch when I ride. I find that sitting more upright gives you a little better control in the turns.

Old 07-01-2009 | 10:08 PM
flyingace
Outstanding HDF Member

See here:

http://home.comcast.net/~kceder/seats/seats.html

In a nutshell, the Sundowner sits HIGHER than the 2 piece mustang, (and is wider at the nose, making it a longer reach to the ground) but sits LOWER than the big 1 piece Mustang. (but is still wider at the nose)

The Mustang 1 pc SPORT touring, I never owned or measured.

Last edited by flyingace; 07-01-2009 at 10:11 PM.
Old 07-01-2009 | 10:17 PM
Yachtman
Road Warrior

Ace,

That's still one of the most informative posts I've come across. For me it was a tremenous help in my seat purchase.

Old 07-02-2009 | 07:55 AM
maineultraclassic
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by bikes
After mounting my new Sundowner It seems that the seat raised me about 1". After contacting New Roc HD, they said I could return it and exchange it for a Mustang with a backrest. I think my '07 King will be happier along with me. Anyone else changed a Sundowner for a Mustang with backrest?

My buddy has a new Mustang solo with backrest along with the passenger seat that he wants to trade for a Sundowner.

Any interest?

Steve

Old 07-02-2009 | 09:14 AM
Garemlin
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by maineultraclassic
My buddy has a new Mustang solo with backrest along with the passenger seat that he wants to trade for a Sundowner.

Any interest?

Steve
What year and which passenger seat???

Old 07-02-2009 | 09:54 AM
EasternSP
Banned
Veteran: Marine Corp

Here is a link to a post that I made about the Mustang seat compared to a stock RG seat.

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touri...ml#post5075259

Mustang will only take the seat back with a 20% restocking fee.
I have recently bought a Corbin seat and it is a world of difference from the Mustang, plus it does in fact sit me lower and further back compared to the stock seat.

Quick Reply: Trading a new Sundowner for a Mustang seat