Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

MC Video Camera Recommendation ???

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2009, 01:00 PM
morrisrh
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default MC Video Camera Recommendation ???

Anyone have a recommendation on what video camera type work on OK on motorcycles, in my case it is 05 RK Classic. I have a GPS unit with a RAM Mount on the handlebar, suspect I could get a similar mount for a camera. Seems like cameras are either cam corder type or the "bullet" type. I think the camcorder would mount behind the windscreen and the bullet camera I could mount on the engine guard. Any recommendations appreciated.

Rick

Old 07-01-2009, 01:36 PM
HD Renegade
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

From what I have read on here, a few people have tried this, end result was the video was shacky at best due to the vibrations from the bike. Use the search and you should be able to dig some of them up.

Old 07-01-2009, 02:10 PM
TRUBRIT
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I mounted a little Memorex VidCam on a Ram Mount on the clutch housing. Problem is you get a lot of vibration through the bars. I am looking for one with the remote lens. I will try mounting that either on the Engine guard or on the side of my helmet. I can mount the control on the handle bar. There are a few advertised but I am still researching. Here is one.
http://www.goprocamera.com/

Old 07-01-2009, 02:58 PM
oppirs
Road Warrior

Use the most stable area to mount the camera. I used the touringpac plate, reverse view.

You'll have to try different areas to get the best video. Use a Maffer clamp ( used in film/video production ) It will clamp to handle bars. ( not good ) or crash bars ( better). Good luck. I once had the video recorded on a metric bike's handlebars, smooth video.... Just a thought!

Old 07-01-2009, 05:35 PM
morrisrh
6th Gear
Default Recommendation for MC Video Camera

This would be ideal. Too expensive, but it would be nice to find a cheap camera that has a remote controller/monitor as does this setup:

http://www.kustomsignals.com/product...pagename=video

Old 07-01-2009, 11:46 PM
HarleyWood
Outstanding HDF Member

search the video forum for threads by sfarson, he has posted some of the best videos I've seen anywhere. i remember in a few of his posts that folks asked about his camera rig(s)

Old 07-02-2009, 01:34 AM
mtbottles
Tourer
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RCA Small Wonder

Hey Rick,

I purchased an RCA Small Wonder Video Camera for less than $100 last year. I did not want to risk damaging an expensive camera. It records right on internal memory and easily downloads to your computer. It records in HD (720p I think).

I had a few extra ram mount clamps around so I picked up a bolt from the hardware store and mounted it to a ram mount using the tripod mount on the camera.

Not bad for around $100.

I have a few videos on you tube. Just search for MTBOTTLES1 and it will list them. They were all taken with the same camera and set-up. The one's from Lake George were from behind a windshield. The Ride To The Rally video had no windshield.

The difference is in the wind noise and at high speeds. The camera is flat and tends to shift when the wind hits without a windshield. The windshield will also prevent any damage to the camera lens from debris.

Whatever you do, most cameras have a hole for a tripod. Use that to attach to a ram mount. You can mount the camera anywhere you can put the ram mount.

Old 07-02-2009, 01:37 AM
jcanrun
Tourer
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I think the Gopro cameras are pretty good, but I think they would work best with a helmet mount and not on the bars. (due to the vibrations.) About $200? at Cyclegear?

Old 07-02-2009, 11:04 AM
morrisrh
6th Gear

GoPro looks reasonable, but it does not have a remote LCD. I wonder how it compares to something like the attached:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...specifications

Old 07-02-2009, 01:54 PM
digz`
Tourer

That new vholdr contour camera looks bitchin ... anyone use it yet ?

http://www.vholdr.com/

Quick Reply: MC Video Camera Recommendation ???