Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Basic Electrical Question

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2009 | 01:22 PM
hyfly1
|
Cruiser
Default Basic Electrical Question

I installed some LED lights, and they work fine but don't appear as bright as the photo on ebay. I checked the voltage, and it appears I am only getting about 1.1 volts to the lights. Is that even possible? I have the lights plugged in to the Maxifuse connector. Does the voltage (as opposed to wattage or amperes) make a difference in the brightness of the LED's?

Old 06-30-2009 | 01:28 PM
jknowlton
Road Master

Originally Posted by hyfly1
I installed some LED lights, and they work fine but don't appear as bright as the photo on ebay. I checked the voltage, and it appears I am only getting about 1.1 volts to the lights. Is that even possible? I have the lights plugged in to the Maxifuse connector. Does the voltage (as opposed to wattage or amperes) make a difference in the brightness of the LED's?
what is the voltage required for the LEDs? Who makes them?

wattage/voltage/amps all come into play, but if the LEDs are 12volt led's and only getting 1.1 volts, that is a problem. If they are 12volt, hook them straight to the battery when the bike is off and see if they are bright. Just make sure its 12volt LED otherwise you can blow them if they use a lower voltage, and maybe could be strung in series and collectively all of them draw a total of 12volts.

As for amps, if you are over drawing the system, and may be cutting back on whatever it can and making your lights appear dimmer (lighter) than what they are supposed to be.

Wattage would be basically the brightness of the bulb..Higher wattage, more current (amps) it draws.

Last edited by jknowlton; 06-30-2009 at 01:32 PM. Reason: added wattage
Old 06-30-2009 | 03:47 PM
sgdiesel
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by hyfly1
Sorry if it sounds like I am insulting your intelligence, but I always start with the obvious / easy first:

How did you measure the voltage? Did you measure across the LED or on the supply side referenced to a good earth?

Old 06-30-2009 | 03:56 PM
n8dc
Road Warrior

Leds typically only require a little over a volt to work. Usually there is a board hooked to them with a voltage dropping resistor and possibly other components.. I dont want to insult you either but if and you can check if your getting a good 12 volts to the led's then my answer would be . Things sometimes appear to be great on Ebay when in reality its just someone making money . Doctored up photo's or movie files to make the item look a lot better than it really is.. Did you contact the seller?