Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Clutch lever play

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2009, 09:14 PM
voodoodrug
Stellar HDF Member
Received 94 Likes on 81 Posts

here is something I found on this board...If the problem comes right back after a couple of miles then your throwout bearing is shot and your not going to get a good adjustment until you replace that...

Old 08-11-2009, 09:20 PM
SPARKY01
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

6200 miles and just adjusted again. adjusted the clutch at 1k and then 2-3 times since. i like little or no slack. also keep it oiled up. it helps. loosen the clutch adjustment all the way til you can just about slide the cable thru the slot on the mount. i then took some light oil and "injected" it with a syringe. then used a can of air to "shoot it into " the cable. then adjust the cable back to specs. made a big difference.....ride safe

Old 08-12-2009, 07:25 AM
voodoodrug
Stellar HDF Member
Smile

wow every frickin post ive found is just another how to..adjust your clutch.this clutch is adjusted properly its an intermittent loosening,like going down the road and boom boom its loose ,,then its fine. guess its kiss my 7 yrs warrenty card and make an appointment.After thumbing through the manuel it looks like i doent want to tare into the clutch baskette lol think i will try to wait til late fall or winter.
Thank you all for helping me realize what it isn't

Old 08-12-2009, 08:25 AM
loc
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had the same issue on my 08 Ultra. I removed the cable at the perch and taped/wire tied a ziploc around the cable, filled the ziploc with oil, strung it up vertically and let it sit overnight. Once the entire cable got lube from top to bottom the cable seems to be alot less "stretchy" and seems to work as it should.

Old 08-12-2009, 08:28 AM
BadBobOk
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by VARDR
A little history...when I first got the bike, clutch was nice and tight but by the time for my 1K service there was about 1/4" play at the clutch lever. Did my own 1K service and got the clutch back to the 1/8" clearence at the lever. Now at 2200 miles my clutch is back out with a 1/4" gap at the lever. Is it normal for the clutch to gain play over time/milage? Do I need to go back and adjust the clutch again or can this wait til the 5K service? There are no issues with the clutch, I just don't like having that much play at the lever.
This is normal for new bikes. Just spend two minutes adjusting your cable and the stretching will eventually stop.

Old 08-12-2009, 09:12 AM
oinker02
Banned
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Do all the above, plus:

Check your operating habits. If you tend to sit a red lights with clutch squeezed, then you are placing extra wear on your clutch release(throw out) bearing.

....Adjust clutch cold

...First adjust inside derby, then cable, paying particular attention to reset ***** in ramp before adjusting cable.

.....Check also to determine if cable is binding ANY amount when turned lock to lock....Do that by observing cable as you rotate bars AND checking lever freeplay as you turn bars lock to lock....If lever freeplay changes when bars are turned, then closely examine cable routing and correct.

Old 08-20-2009, 06:35 AM
voodoodrug
Stellar HDF Member

jam nut on clutch adjuster screw fell off into primary case#^&*$&$#$%.... removed primary cover and there it was at the bottom.

Old 08-20-2009, 08:02 AM
Neckball
Stellar HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

jam nut on clutch adjuster screw fell off into primary case#^&*$&$#$%.... removed primary cover and there it was at the bottom.
I've had this happen. I tried to talk the service manager into trying to get the extended service plan to cover the repair. His answer was "A properly torqued fastener will never loosen up.". I looked at him with that look your dog does when he hears something odd. I asked him why there were lock washers on my motorcycle. I asked him why are there references to Loctite in mmy service manual. I asked him how long he had been in the H-D service business.

Then he looked at me the way your dog does when he hears something odd.

I have since talked with the service managers at three other dealerships and they all told me that they put one drop of blue Loctite on the adjuster lock nut.

Old 08-20-2009, 09:53 AM
cegusa
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Neckball
I've had this happen. I tried to talk the service manager into trying to get the extended service plan to cover the repair. His answer was "A properly torqued fastener will never loosen up.". I looked at him with that look your dog does when he hears something odd. I asked him why there were lock washers on my motorcycle. I asked him why are there references to Loctite in mmy service manual. I asked him how long he had been in the H-D service business.

Then he looked at me the way your dog does when he hears something odd.

I have since talked with the service managers at three other dealerships and they all told me that they put one drop of blue Loctite on the adjuster lock nut.
Some of these managers have no mechanical apptitude and I swear only have there jobs by their ability to get you to go away..........