Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wyoming-South Dakota Riding Jacket?

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2009, 07:34 PM
liv2ride57
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wyoming-South Dakota Riding Jacket?

Friends of mine who have ridden out to Wyoming and South Dakota during July-August keep telling me to leave my leathers at home. They say " a leather jacket just don't work in that climate during the summer months." They keep telling me to buy or bring a jacket which is a different material which will breath, stay dryer, and more flexible than a good leather jacket. My concern is riding the Bear Tooth and some of the higher mountain elevations, and not having the appropriate jacket to keep me warm if I need it and dry in the non humid climate.

I know many of you have ridden out there this time of year, and would love to know what works best. Even on a full dresser, space is limited.
Thanks.

Old 06-29-2009, 07:41 PM
nvsteve
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 75 Likes on 52 Posts

You need to be prepared for all conditions. Rain gear, hot and very cold. Espcially if you're doing Bear Tooth.
We rode it last year and had all extremes. It didn't, but it can snow up around Bear Tooth that time of year.
You don't necessarily need leathers tho. You can layer with thermals and sweat shirt then use your rain gear for more warmth if it gets that cold. Easier to pack as leathers take up so much room.

Old 06-29-2009, 07:48 PM
KoalaCowboy
Road Warrior

Agree with nvsteve...The conditions can vary rather quickly, so you need to be prepared for all conditions. Yes, leathers will probably sit in the saddlebags for a large percentage of time, however, the temps 'can' drop quickly once the sun starts to go down and those very leathers will get put on rather quickly...

Old 06-29-2009, 07:54 PM
artt
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a Kilimanjaro Air Jacket and riding pants made by First Gear which has a zip in/out lining that is waterproof. It's comfortable to me till about 95 deg. First Gear advertises this as a 3 season setup. When I was at Sturgis in 06, the temp dropped going over the mountains 35 degrees in about 20 min with hail and heay rain. The zip in lining kept me warm and dry, others in my group were not as comfortable.

Needless to say I'll be using it again this year. The only downside to using this gear is the lining takes up a bit of room in the bags and you don't want to be walking around town with the jacket on, lining or no lining.

Old 06-29-2009, 08:03 PM
Blueflame1
Tourer

You need warm stuff !!!

It can be 100F or 20 F.....all in the same day.

Leathers will protect you from the sun and keep you warm in the cold. The weather can change in a minute, and, it can be very cold....even in the middle of summer.

A couple of years ago we camped out at Newcastle, WY at the Bag Lady Bash (This is a Big *** Party in the Black Hills during Sturgis) and froze and had to spend the entire hight at the camp file to keep warm. It was VERY cold...way below freezing.

Next day it was 100F again.

Old 06-29-2009, 08:14 PM
bigskyhd
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 50 Likes on 5 Posts

I go to Sturgis nearly every year. Last year we did Bear Tooth too. All over Wyoming as well. I rarely take a leather jacket, but I definitely take leather chaps. You'll need em in the mornings, and when it's really hot, they will actually help keep your legs cooler, by insulating. I have a number of Cordura Nylon type jackets with the zip out liner, and zip openings for breathing, heat, etc. They have worked best for me with layering to keep warm. Your rain jacket will also help. I have buds though that swear by wearing their leather jackets with the zip out liners. Your call I guess, but I go with the Nylon stuff on top with the fairing and all... Enjoy, that's a great trip, but beware all the crazies are out too!!

Old 06-29-2009, 08:36 PM
D2R
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Leather works just fine here.The less humidity the better IMO.I live in western Wyo.and just got back from a weekend trip around Deadwood.Left here Fri. morning in the rain,320 mi. later it stopped,lower 40's actually felt like it was going to snow,504mi. one way.
Yesterday on the return trip mid to upper 80's.You need to be ready for any weather It's been an unusually cool and wet spring but I think summer may finally be here.I've always got under armor,rain gear and electric gear with me.The first time I went to Sturgis 30+ years ago,living in Idaho at the time,it hit 104 deg. in Rapid City 4 days later we hit a blizzard between Dubois and Jackson Hole going home.Any thing can happen.

Old 06-29-2009, 08:43 PM
dwhite74
Advanced

hey there I just got back from idaho, mont, wyoming and utah 3000 miles.we used all of our leathers and rainsuits every day!!!!!! you never know what is going to hit!!!

Old 06-29-2009, 09:08 PM
Moon Rider
Intermediate

Just got back Saturday night from a trip in SD, Wy. and Mt. Temps ranged from 29 in the morning in in Yellowstone to 10o in Billings Mt. The other rider described it as being on the runway - changing in and out of clothes several times a day. Chaps were great for riding along in the snow and along Beartooth Pass and a face mask might be helpful. It is a beautiful area and full of surprises around every curve. Even the interstates were nice and great views. Watch out for deer! good Luck

Old 06-29-2009, 09:20 PM
drfeelgood
Outstanding HDF Member

Your leather will be fine, I certainly wouldn't go buy new gear if you've already got nice leather. I went to Sturgis three out of the last four years and only had leather, never had any problems.

Quick Reply: Wyoming-South Dakota Riding Jacket?