Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tools Required To Mount Tires

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2009, 08:20 AM
soos
Grand HDF Member
Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts
Cool Tools Required To Mount Tires

I did not want to hijack a recent thread about tire changing and balancing, but I would like to have a list of tools needed to properly remove and mount a tire on a rim. Last time I did this it was on my bicycle as a kid and that is a faded memory.

Old 06-28-2009, 08:45 AM
dawg
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,135 Likes on 1,798 Posts

You need a bead breaker (you can fab one or buy one), you need a valve stem tool to remove and insert the valve, and you need a couple of spoons. Harbor Freight sells a cheap little tire changer that works well. Also check out the Mojo lever for tools

Old 06-28-2009, 08:48 AM
Andouille
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You have a pretty wide open question. It depends if you want to go with a minimum of tools or go more high tech to do it easier. I have changed tires with just large screw drivers (don't recommend, but that is the most basic). You may want to go to U-tube, there are a few good videos on how to change tires and from there you can decide which way you want to go and how much you are willing to spend.

As a minimum, you can break the beads with 2X4 or C clamps then take the tire off and install a new tire using tire tools. Of course you will need a good air compressor.

There are also many ways to balance, again U tube has videos. My last tire change (this week), I decided to go with dyna beads. After a couple hundred miles, they seems to be working fine.

Sorry I could not give you a definite answer, but you will have to make the decision on how much you are willing to spend. For me, up to now, I've used tire tools from Harbor Freight and have spun balance on a homemade shaft ( before the last change using dyna beads). In the future, I hope to get a couple friends together and maybe buy a Harbor Freight tire changer (just can't see buying one just for my use).

Old 06-28-2009, 09:09 AM
VTwin-Goodies
Sponsor
Received 1,948 Likes on 1,932 Posts

Here is the Harbor Freight tire changer.
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=34542

and another.
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=42927

I am planning on picking one of these up for the next swap, although last time I just used a few spoons and a c clamp.

Old 06-28-2009, 09:38 AM
Sharknose
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Old 06-28-2009, 09:42 AM
UltraKla$$ic
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 31 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by soos
I did not want to hijack a recent thread about tire changing and balancing, but I would like to have a list of tools needed to properly remove and mount a tire on a rim. Last time I did this it was on my bicycle as a kid and that is a faded memory.
They had RUBBER tires on bicycles when you were a kid?

http://www.nomartirechanger.com/product/show/1

Old 06-28-2009, 10:12 AM
OD_Cleaver
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

These are some stiff tires on used on touring bikes now. They are not same tires used 30 or 40 years ago. The hardest part in doing this yourself will be to avoid scratching your wheels.

Here is a web site with one man’s “how to” instructions: http://www.clarity.net/~adam/tire-changing-doc.html NOTE: Touring bike tires have much stiffer side walls than a sport bike tire.

I like doing everything (within reason) myself. For me, it is a key part to motorcycling. I bought the NOMAR set up (USA made – screw China). It is expensive, but if you exercise care you will get the job done without scratching those wheels. I figure that in another 10 years it will have paid for itself. Of course, my tires get changed on my schedule.

All of that said, the minimum tools needed are:

1. Valve removal tool
2. Bead breaker – you will not be able to stand on the edge of the tire and use your weight to break the bead.
3. Liquid soap
4. At least two large tire spoons
5. Two plastic rim protectors
6. Tire pump

Old 06-28-2009, 10:14 AM
petemac
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

This would be sweet if you could get 3 or 4 guys to go in on it. Kinda overkill for a tire change once a year at most. Looks pretty nice.

Originally Posted by UltraKla$$ic
They had RUBBER tires on bicycles when you were a kid?

http://www.nomartirechanger.com/product/show/1

Old 06-28-2009, 10:38 AM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 32 Posts

Here are some suggestions:

1. Harbor-Freight tire changer. This is a good starting point and has a bead breaker built-in.

2. Optional: HF MC adapter

3. Tire spoons. Three is the minimum number needed, but you may not need as many if you use the Mojo Lever (see #8 below) and the HF MC adapter (#2).

4. Cut-up plastic bottles, auto floor mats, etc. Use these between the wheel and spoon or other metal object to protect it. Or, buy at least three rim protectors like these. We mostly use cut-up plastic now, as it seems to work as well or better and is free.

5. RuGlide or other tire lubricant. This is essential and IMO is better than soapy water. I believe we got a gallon from Napa, and that will last a very long time since you can dilute it.

6. Tire-stem remover. Found at any auto-parts store.

7. Tire balancer--e.g. this one.

8. Optional: Mojo Lever

9. Stick-on weights. Napa has them, as well as the HD shop. HD also has black-painted weights for black wheels that aren't too terribly expensive, or you could paint your own. HD's chrome weights, some with shapes like skulls etc., are a bit of overkill, IMO.

10. Some sort of device to directly inject compressed air into the tire when first inflated. We find that a tire chuck doesn't allow the air to enter the tire fast enough to expand it so the bead can set. When doing this step of the process it is important to make sure lubricant is used around the entire bead area on both sides.

Lately we've been using only spoons and using the tire changer only to break the bead. Using the HF changer and MC adapter requires you to remove the rotor or pulley from at least one side, but you can do the job without this removal using only spoons. It is a more laborious job but I don't like removing these items, especially when Torx bolts and Locktite are involved.

There is a learning curve and the first time will likely be trying, but once you get the gist of it you'll find it little more than a wrestling match between you, the tire, and the rim--as the tire does not like to go on the rim or once installed be removed from it. Have at least one other person there to help, as it is a real PITA doing it by yourself! We have four riders who bought in on this hardware and it cost us $50 each, which was less than the amount saved on the first tire change. We've been doing it for about five years now. Buying the tires on-line and installing them ourselves has saved a bundle over the years.

Here is a good tutorial on the procedure.

Last edited by iclick; 06-28-2009 at 10:59 AM.
Old 06-28-2009, 11:05 AM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by petemac
This would be sweet if you could get 3 or 4 guys to go in on it. Kinda overkill for a tire change once a year at most. Looks pretty nice.
This is the way to do it. I found that it wasn't hard to find people who will to go in on this investment when they see the money they can save buying tires on-line. An hour or so once per year isn't a big deal, and doing the job is like being in a rodeo, wrestling a bull to the ground if you will. It's kind of a challenge forcing a tire and rim to go together when they don't want to, and once together don't want to become separated. It gives you a sense of accomplishment.

Quick Reply: Tools Required To Mount Tires