Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hit worst pothole EVER!

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2009, 10:59 PM
andrewj
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hit worst pothole EVER!

Ok..so riding along this evening. my '09 Ultra, beautiful evening, going 30 mph, slow cruise, and in unlite developped area, without warning the worst deepest ugliest pothole ever...hit it right on..couldnt avoid it, car on the left, felt like the bike was going to be swallowed up, sounded like the frame went right into the pavement, large noise..lots of cursing by me..I mean we have all hit ruts, railroad tracks, small potholes and bad road..but this was CRAZY! Someone should sue the city...no lights, no markings...!

I thought I had damaged the bike, that's how bad this mother pothole was...
I drove home...checked around, seemed ok, tires still good, no visible fender damage, frame, as far as I can tell is ok...will have to look more in the daytime tomorrow...and the muffler piece under the bike seemed intact...the only thing I felt was a slight more vibration from the bike..while riding...but that could just be my imagination from this jaw breaking experience..

So, was wondering, if anyone else had this experience...could there be other damage or problems that are not readily visible..anything I should be looking out for.?? Hopefully..not!??
thanks
andrew

Old 06-27-2009, 11:16 PM
realmccoy
Tourer
Default monster pot hole

the only thing i would keep an i on is your fork seals.
friend of mine hit one a few weeks back.
then noticed a little oil seaping around top of sliders.
about a week later

Old 06-27-2009, 11:17 PM
riteway
Extreme HDF Member
Received 988 Likes on 679 Posts

Man VERY sorry to hear that Pot hole $hit!!!!! We have them so big in Chicago they will swallow a VW... I got caught in a pot hole groove between lane change doing 40-45 but pulled out of it....Thought i was goin down!!!! Just dont get it..City has a 1-800 line to report them and also a program to fix you damage to your car if you hit a reported p-hole but what are they gonna do to our bikes and bodies if we dump!!!! WTF!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 06-28-2009, 12:02 AM
1931jamesw
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Ive seen the top side of front fenders get caved in from smashing into the passing lamp bar.

Old 06-28-2009, 02:17 AM
hpfatboy
Banned
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Gotta love those big pot-holes that take your spinal cord from approx. 2 1/2 ft.long down to 2 ft. in a split second!

Old 06-28-2009, 02:17 AM
6 gun
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 1,747 Likes on 982 Posts

I hit a pot hole one time back ih 04 so hard
that it broke the lower tripel tree on a dyna wide glide

Old 06-28-2009, 03:03 AM
leohd
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by riteway
Man VERY sorry to hear that Pot hole $hit!!!!! We have them so big in Chicago they will swallow a VW... I got caught in a pot hole groove between lane change doing 40-45 but pulled out of it....Thought i was goin down!!!! Just dont get it..City has a 1-800 line to report them and also a program to fix you damage to your car if you hit a reported p-hole but what are they gonna do to our bikes and bodies if we dump!!!! WTF!!!!!!!!!!!!!
IN chicago they won't do nuthen, friend hit a pothole about 3 weeks ago and got 39 stitches in his head, can't fight KING Richard Daley

Old 06-28-2009, 05:56 AM
Jrsess
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 68 Likes on 62 Posts

Call the Dot and give them the location so they can get it repaired. Get the name of who you talked to.

Old 06-28-2009, 06:01 AM
Ram
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Roads here in Tidewater VA are so full of pot holes its just not safe to ride a motor cycle on most.

Going home from work two weeks ago, up over the Hi-rise bridge in the on I-64W, driving my convertible hit this pot hole it bottomed out on to the frame.

I called V-DOT and complained and told them to fix it now, it would be a fatality if a motorcyclist hit that in the dark at any speed.

Had to spend yesterday morning getting that car a complete new 4 wheel alignment it was pulling to the left so bad. The last one was in Feb 09.

Additionally they have had the over head signs up on 664-E going into the Monitor Merimac tunnel stating "Motorcycles Use Left Lane Only" in tunnel.

And they have the nerve to FORCE more taxes on you in this state.

Drive safe.

Old 06-28-2009, 06:09 AM
dgriffith
Road Warrior

That is the fact of life here in Puerto Rico. I feel lucky if I don't hit at least a dozen a day here. I've hit a couple so hard that the CD player skipped and the bike suspension bottomed out on both ends. Now I'm starting to understand why people drive 45 on the toll road when the speed limit is 65. It's not safe. If Harley needs a test rider, I know where they can send their next bike and I'll help them out. Maybe it will give mine a rest.

Quick Reply: Hit worst pothole EVER!