Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Want to change my own tire...what about balancing??

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2009, 10:18 AM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by 1931jamesw
I dont know if the guy knows what the heck hes talking about but the local indy shop says if you line the balancing dot on the tire up with the valve stem you dont need to balance them.
That might be the case if the wheel and tire are reasonably balanced, which they aren't always. My spare rear wheel is very imbalanced and requires lots of weights to get it right, the last time being >4 oz. total. I had to split them up including inside and outside to get a really good balance, which took quite a bit of time. If you didn't balance this wheel I think you'd have noticeable shake, but most aren't that far off.

Old 06-28-2009, 10:39 AM
fordracing19
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Changed mine the other day. I have a tire machine but no balancer. So it didnt get balanced. It had no weight on the rim with the stock tire anyways.

Old 06-28-2009, 03:04 PM
dougyf
Cruiser
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

A simple accurate way to static balance the wheels is like an earlier post said. You can use two milk crates or any two objects that will be high enough to keep the axle with the wheel on it supported off the ground (level ground) then slowly spin the wheel & let it come to a stop on its own. If it stops at the same spot everytime you spin it then that is where the heavy unbalanced part of the tire is. You then need to attach a 1/4 oz stick on weight to the completely opposite side of the wheel 180 degrees away. It will take some time til you figure out how much wgt it needs. I temporarily attach the wgts with masking tape until I know how much the tire needs. Then I apply them permanently. When the wheel stops at a different point every time then it is balanced. i have done this for years with good results.

Old 06-28-2009, 05:37 PM
Heathen
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dyna beads front and rear,The thought of weights on custom wheels doesn't sit good.

Old 06-28-2009, 09:26 PM
Rollon
Road Master
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

tell you what, the trusty on tire irons won't work anymore with the tubleless tires; not worth the effort! pay the guy at the shop...

Old 06-28-2009, 10:34 PM
xxxflhrci
Extreme HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Rollon
tell you what, the trusty on tire irons won't work anymore with the tubleless tires; not worth the effort! pay the guy at the shop...
Why won't they work? They work at my garage. The guy at shop down the street does it the same way I do....matter of fact, he is the one that taught me to change my own tires years ago.

Old 06-29-2009, 05:47 AM
mainshaft
Road Warrior

Swap my tires over in the garage and take it to the tire shop for balancing, $10 and it's a dun deal.

Old 06-29-2009, 08:48 AM
iwboomer
Intermediate
Talking

Originally Posted by Rollon
My irons still work just fine. As a matter of fact even easier on a tubeless, as ya ain't gotta worry about pinching the tube.
Nuttin like havin to patch a brand new tube, to help perfect the technique.

Old 08-14-2009, 09:31 PM
thereal142
Road Captain
Received 37 Likes on 27 Posts

Well. I finally got around to changing my rear tire... Put the 160 E3 on, everything went smooth, lined up the balance mark with the stem, pulled the old weights off, and smooth as glass....thanks all for the response!!

Old 08-15-2009, 08:56 AM
dawg
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,239 Likes on 1,850 Posts

Originally Posted by thereal142
Well. I finally got around to changing my rear tire... Put the 160 E3 on, everything went smooth, lined up the balance mark with the stem, pulled the old weights off, and smooth as glass....thanks all for the response!!
Good for you. Several folks do that and if they get one that wobbles, just pull it and take it in for balancing.

Quick Reply: Want to change my own tire...what about balancing??