Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Your Best Touring Tip

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2009, 07:41 AM
Bikerdad61
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Before you leave, wether she is riding with you or not, give your spouse or girlfriend a warm wet kiss. My wife and I have done this for years. Maybe it's just a good luck thing, but you never know what lies ahead when you roll out of your driveway and onto the long road ahead.

Old 06-27-2009, 07:45 AM
KopperTop
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by beaucoup_dinkydow
don't eat any Wafflehouse chili. don't ask how I know.
Well, the thread started with a colon cleanse. Oh, but not while you're riding...

Old 06-27-2009, 08:27 AM
timbo240
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Harley installed a drink holder in every bat wing.. buy a .99 water from the store, stick it over the handlebar so the bottom rests against the left speaker.. due to a back draft, even empty at 85mph it won't go anywhere.. prepare to be amazed
I have one there at all times

Old 06-27-2009, 08:32 AM
TwistedT
6th Gear

Originally Posted by timbo240
Harley installed a drink holder in every bat wing.. buy a .99 water from the store, stick it over the handlebar so the bottom rests against the left speaker.. due to a back draft, even empty at 85mph it won't go anywhere.. prepare to be amazed
I have one there at all times
Just tried it! Now that's some good info there!

Old 06-27-2009, 08:44 AM
rhaneski
Cruiser

Hydrate yourself and plan for the weather. A hot day will suck the life out of you and you'll likely cover fewer miles than you thought you could. I just went from Florida to CT and back to Georgia. The first day temps were low 90's and humid. I had to stop almost every hour to hydrate or go to the bathroom. The best riding days were slightly overcast, felt like I could go forever on those days.

Underarmour type underwear is also good. No seams to rub you. Light colored clothing and sunscreen.

Old 06-27-2009, 08:54 AM
nocages4me
Tourer

Wear long johns and leather pants. No matter the weather you will stay cooler. The long johns keep you cool and the leathers keep the heat off your your "parts" and protect if you take a spill.

Old 06-27-2009, 09:09 AM
HDJIM1158
Road Warrior
Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Jrsess
Don't bring any mental baggage with you!
PLUS 1 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Best tip so far

Old 06-27-2009, 09:22 AM
bluffalobob
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Drink, drink, drink. It may sound obvious but if your pee is dark, you aren't drinking enough. It's surprising just how much water it takes to stay hydrated on the road. Plain old water and Gatorade cut in half works the best. Stay away from sodas and coffee when you're really thirsty.

Seating comfort is also of paramount importance. Get a good seat that you can ride 500 miles in a day on without discomfort. For touring, add lycra undershorts and a sheepskin pad, and you'll be in heaven.

Be careful of critters, especially after dark. Nothing like pressing on to the next town for the night, only to be caught on a backroad at dusk. Deer can be deadly, and even smaller animals can easily take you down.

Have fun! Take a road you didn't plan on, just cause the wind was at your back.

Old 06-27-2009, 10:00 AM
locodude
Road Captain

take a map or gps device and don't carry all your money in your wallet, put some in a saddlebag or luggage, I lost mine once while travelling and it sucks being miles from home with no money.

Old 06-27-2009, 10:14 AM
SSJ
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Buy a couple pair of them riding under garment the stretch kind that bicyclists wear Under Armour makes them.

Quick Reply: Your Best Touring Tip