Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Drive belt deflection-Is this normal

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2009, 06:37 PM
harleyman1340
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Drive belt deflection-Is this normal

When the bike is cold the drive belt deflection is in spec according to the guidelines of the owners manual, however when the bike is hot there is absolutely no deflection in the drive belt. Is this normal.

Thanks in advance

Old 06-26-2009, 07:28 PM
dontdropit
Stellar HDF Member
Received 169 Likes on 123 Posts

yes that is right if you have it to spec when cold. they do tighten up when everything gets heated up. i always adjust mine to the loose end of spec.

Old 06-26-2009, 08:04 PM
harleyman1340
Cruiser

Dontdropit,

Thanks for the reply. What is the advantage or adjusting to the loose side. My problem is when the bike gets hot I have a rubbing sound that seems to be coming from the drive line. I just had the 1000 mile service and told the service writer about my problem, he said everything is in spec. I don't think he did a long enough road test to get it hot enough to hear my problem. I'm thinking that the belt gets so tight when hot that it is causing something to bind.

Old 06-26-2009, 08:11 PM
dontdropit
Stellar HDF Member
Received 169 Likes on 123 Posts

i always set mine to the loose side of spec just to make sure things don't get too tight when things heat up, like maybe your situation. you could buy the tension tool and check it yourself, if it's too tight you can take it back to the dealer and show the service writer, or you could just set it yourself if your in to that stuff.

Old 06-26-2009, 08:17 PM
rbabos
Banned
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I would like to point out from my experience that there is a tighter spot and a looser spot when you rotate the wheel, just like the primary chain. I adjust when the rotation is in the tight spot for tension checks. That way this area won't be too tight when things heat up.
Ron

Old 06-26-2009, 08:31 PM
rags
Tourer
Received 17 Likes on 9 Posts

My 2005 service manual says to adjust the primary chain at the tightest point and to adjust the rear drive belt at the loosest point.

Old 06-26-2009, 08:48 PM
tennessee streetglide
Cruiser

Mine does the same thing started with about 400 miles had it checked said belt was to tight. Now I have 5000 miles on it and its starting to do it agian taking back to the dealer tomorrow to let them check the belt agian.Not really happy with this problem. What kind of bike do you have I have a 08 street glide. Hopefully they can fix this problem.

Old 06-26-2009, 09:03 PM
billjr
Cruiser

Mine was so tight when hot there was no deflection and I think that is why my ids bearing went out the dealer replaced the whole ids under warranty and then set the belt at specs and when I got home it was so tight no deflection again so I adjusted the belt to specs hot and just go easy when cold then I can romp on it.

Old 06-26-2009, 09:08 PM
backdoc_rider
Tourer

I wish I knew the answer to this. My 08 service manual says to adjust at the loosest point and then I rotate things and at the tight spot it's tighter than hell.

Old 06-27-2009, 04:27 AM
emwolb
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

man rags, that's a beautiful blue ultra you got there. lookin mighty sharp indeed.

Quick Reply: Drive belt deflection-Is this normal