Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Drive belt deflection-Is this normal

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2009, 03:57 PM
tennessee streetglide
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by harleyman1340
Tennessee Streetglide,

I took my bike out Sunday morning, check the deflection at the belt inspection slot in the belt guard before I left which seemed to be within “spec”, took a leisurely ride about 15 miles up the road, never heard any abnormal noises, turned the bike around and got off and checked the deflection again, the belt was tighter but still had some deflection. On the way home I picked up the pace to about 70 mph and when I slowed down at for a red light I could hear the noise again, pulled the bike over and checked the belt deflection again, this time there was no deflection in the belt, it was tight as a banjo string.

My conclusion: (1)there is a definite correlation between the tightness of the belt and the abnormal noise I’m hearing and (2) the drive belt does get tighter when the bike gets hot, probably(??) as a result of the metal pulley’s expanding as they get hotter.

Solution: Loosen the belt, even if amount of deflection is a tad outside of “spec”, at least this will solve my obnoxious noise problem.

Concerns: (1)What will be the long term effects of loosening a belt outside factory specs. (2)Is there anything other the normal expansion that is causing the belt to get so tight. (3) If I don’t do anything what will the effect of the abnormally tight belt be on other components in the drive line.

Strategy: I plan on riding the bike to the dealership on Friday, have the service rider or tech ride the bike while the belt is tight and making this obnoxious noise, get their opinion and discuss my concerns. If they tell me this is normal and have any reservations about the adjusting the belt, I’m just gonna say fk’em, buy the tools necessary to adjust the belt myself using Iclicks method and never spend another dime with this dealership.

Harleyman1340 (old evo guy, and still love the sound a shovel head makes)
Took my bike to the dealer agian they checked everything agian. So they agreed with me the belt gets tighter when hot so they called harley and they told them that they have been having problems with this on some bike. Harley told them to adjust the belt out of specs to the loose side the same as everybody else with this problem im going to pickup the bike Sunday will see if thats the fix.

Old 07-18-2009, 04:45 PM
harleyman1340
Cruiser

Tennesseee,

I carried mine to the dealer, the tech road it and was able to hear the noise, told me the belt was in "spec". I told him to loosen it anyhow, he reluctenly loosened the belt up and I have over 500 miles since then and haven't had any problems since.

Old 07-18-2009, 05:29 PM
rbabos
Banned
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

It's true the sprockets grow from heat tightening the belt. What's not known here is the belts composition will actually shrink from heat also adding to tightness. Not all things expand from heat. Some shrink.
Ron

Old 07-18-2009, 05:41 PM
RandyDowdy
Outstanding HDF Member

Today I changed the rear tire on my Sportster, 1st time I have dealt with a belt. All my previous bikes had chains. I had the belt too tight on re-installation. It made a pinging sound, didn't sound good. I drove it about 20 miles, it got tighter. So I loosened it back up a bit. Sounds fine now. What is the life of a drive belt? I know mine is at least 5 years old, maybe even 10. No obvious wear showing. Thank you.

Old 07-18-2009, 06:06 PM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by tennessee streetglide
Took my bike to the dealer agian they checked everything agian. So they agreed with me the belt gets tighter when hot so they called harley and they told them that they have been having problems with this on some bike. Harley told them to adjust the belt out of specs to the loose side the same as everybody else with this problem im going to pickup the bike Sunday will see if thats the fix.
My noise persists after more than a year and belt tension makes no difference. I've learned to live with it and at this juncture am leaning toward blaming the rear tire for the noise, but I won't know for sure 'til it is replaced. The noise did not start until shortly after installing this tire in May 2008. Turning up the radio helps greatly.

Let us know if changing the belt tension helps your situation.

Last edited by iclick; 07-18-2009 at 06:24 PM.
Old 07-18-2009, 07:14 PM
OG1
Road Master
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

i adjust mine looser than the loose spec when cold, and it is perfect when warm

Old 07-18-2009, 08:36 PM
ubreal
Road Master
Received 184 Likes on 98 Posts

I change my rear tire adjust the belt to spec for a road king ran great them about 1000 miles my seal for the primary develop a leak. Had the Harley shop fix it because it was under warranty. After the bike cool I check the belt and they set it on the lose side about 9/16 then I finely understand what the manual says you look at the gage on the belt cover and use the belt tool in the middle of the belt and it will be at spec. I was putting the belt tool under the gage on the belt cover and this way would give me a false reading

Old 07-18-2009, 09:25 PM
timebandit60185
Advanced

i know what you mean by the rubbing sound coming from your drive line mine also makes a rubbing sound when it gets hot next time it makes that sound pull in your clutch lever with mine the rubbing sound stops the dealer says it is nomal i posted this problem last week only got a few responces