Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

09 SE Road Glide test drive

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2009 | 03:05 PM
jdman
|
Intermediate
Default 09 SE Road Glide test drive

I rode an 09 Screamin Eagle Ultra Saturday and there was a lot of(seemed to me)exessive heat coming off the engine,a lot more than my 08 EGS 96 ci.There was also sounded like labor knock(pinging) coming from the engine.It was powerful though and really felt good through all the gears.But the one that stuck out in my mind was the SE Road Glide.It was bright orange especially the painted inner fairing seemed bright looking over it.The 110 in the RG was noticably more powerful the the UC with no labor knock.This was my first experience with a Road Glide and I liked it.The handlebars were perfect for my height and size and the steering felt so much better than my batwing,I couldn't hardly believe it.Wife isn't sold on them but I have always liked them,too bad this is the last of them this year or I might trade.The seats on the 09's seemed hard compared to the 08's but the cornering was noticably better.I do have an engine question,what is involved in making a 96 into a 113 and what is the main difference in the 110 and the 113 ci?Thanks

Old 06-26-2009 | 03:28 PM
Mr Wonderful
Road Master

There have been some head gasket problems with the 113 and some engine/transmission noise. Go to the CVO forum and check it out. Don't give up on 2010 and the fixed fairing FL. HD may just resurrect the Tour Glide name and put a tour pak, lowers and intercom on the RoadGlide. You can pick up lots of engine info on the appropriate forum here if you do a search. Lots of reading to do.

Old 06-26-2009 | 03:32 PM
skydoc
Banned

"What's involved in making a 96 into a 113 and what's the main difference in the 110 & 113?"

Cash is all it takes:
4.0 vs. 4.06 cylinders.

Old 06-26-2009 | 04:56 PM
saw*me
Tourer

very cool bike. The more Cubic inches the more Heat, The pinging could be low octane gas ( ) I love the RG cause I love to ride.

Tom

Old 06-26-2009 | 09:58 PM
emwolb
Ultimate HDF Member

jd and skydoc, the difference between the 110 and 113 is sixty thousandths of an inch increase in bore. the 110 uses a 4" bore and the 113 is 4.060" from what i read in the screamin eagle parts book.

Old 06-27-2009 | 08:59 AM
jamesrgarner
Road Captain

The '09 SERG is an awsome bike. I had the heat problem, especially on the right side. I changed the headers to remove the catalytic converter, changed the baffels and added a SERT, there was a noticable increase in power but still too much heat. I've got a set of heat shields on order from RJ and hope they give me some relief. The orange paint is incredible in the sun - you just can't appreciate it until the sun hits it then pow. I've put 5,000 on it since March and have loved every one. When things cool off a bit I'll take it on a road trip and really put it to its paces. If you buy one you better get use to using cruise, its hard as hell to keep the thing under 80.

Old 08-03-2009 | 01:24 PM
RoadKingKamchi
Tourer

Originally Posted by jamesrgarner
The '09 SERG is an awsome bike. I had the heat problem, especially on the right side. I changed the headers to remove the catalytic converter, changed the baffels and added a SERT, there was a noticable increase in power but still too much heat. I've got a set of heat shields on order from RJ and hope they give me some relief. The orange paint is incredible in the sun - you just can't appreciate it until the sun hits it then pow. I've put 5,000 on it since March and have loved every one. When things cool off a bit I'll take it on a road trip and really put it to its paces. If you buy one you better get use to using cruise, its hard as hell to keep the thing under 80.
Hey James, based on my conversation with a local tuner, who has the reputation of being one of the best in the country with regards to tuning motorcycles for performance using the PCIII and PCV, the SERT is only designed to change things when you are at 60% throttle, or higher - this is an EPA approved map, and they don't care about what you do to your bike in the range of operating that is 10% of your time. You still have timing issues, and you are sparking the cylinder on the downstroke, which is more efficient, yet you lose power and generate more heat. If he tuned the bike, without the cat and by monitoring your CO emissions (as he does), he works on the the whole range of rpm's, and makes sure the timing is right so that you will 'drop 20-25 degrees in engine temperature'. Now I know a lot of people say a lot of things, but I have been hearing about this guy for years in my area, and only thought that he worked on Japanese bikes. Nope... he does Harley too... and he happens to be a close friend of someone I have known for years, is no BS artist, has a 09' SE Road Glide, and I have seen the results personally... this is a completely different bike, from heat to throttle response to power. I hope this helps... and I am pissed because I did the SERT too, and now need to get the bike taken care of properly.

Old 11-17-2009 | 07:34 PM
scarygt
Road Master

James, what header pipes did you put on your 09 roadie. I'm considering buying a low mileage CVO RG like yours and the first thing I want to do is get rid of the catalytic converter and put some good header pipe and muffs on her.

Thanks, Ralph

Originally Posted by jamesrgarner

Old 11-17-2009 | 08:11 PM
groupw
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by saw*me
I love the RG cause I love to ride.

+10 on that one !

Old 11-18-2009 | 07:21 AM
tlr
Cruiser

RoadKingKamchi,

who is this tuner in NJ. I would like to give him a call. I also have tremendous heat issues on my '09 SERG. Thanks

Quick Reply: 09 SE Road Glide test drive