Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What I've done Myself

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2005, 12:25 AM
Retired_Ted
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default What I've done Myself

As a new '05 Road King owner (March 18), I was a little intimidated at tearing into the Harley. I new, however, that my curiosity about how to take it apart would eventually get the best of me. Along with the service manual, I have done the following myself and am ready to help anyone else thinking of doing the same things. Braided front brake lines, braided throttle cables (with cruise), chrome switch housings, chrome billet throttle adjuster covers, chrome jiffy stand hardware, chrome master cylinder and chrome clutch lever housing. To do yet - braided fuel tank cross-over and braided clutch cable. Since I have to remove the right side exhaust system and dump the tranny oil to do the clutch cable, I'll wait for the next oil change. The most difficult part was, of course, the switch housings - but, got it accomplished after just taking my time. All-in-all, a very easy bike to work-on compared to my previous BMW R1100RT.

Old 04-24-2005, 12:41 AM
pococj
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,296 Likes on 483 Posts
Default RE: What I've done Myself

Sounds like you're on the way! What are you doing to prevent the braided lines from rubbing anything? They really like to eat paint, aluminum, and chrome. I'll stick a pic of a quick & easy stand-off up in the General Tech section. 'Course it ain't chrome!

Old 04-24-2005, 02:57 AM
mikeisglidn
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

its a blast saving money and wrenchin on you own ride

Old 04-24-2005, 08:56 AM
duke50
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ted

looks like you saved yourself lots of cash. for instance im geting chrome front forks, switch boxes,adding passenger backrest,stage1,and se touring pipes. there chargin me 10 hrs labor$600.00 bucks. a little expensive wouldnt ya say

Old 04-24-2005, 09:56 AM
Retired_Ted
Road Warrior

$600 does sound like a hefty amount of $$, but, I might shy away from doing the front forks myself since there's an alignment issue with them. Everyone has to do what they're comfortable with - I have been a backyard mechanic since day one and actually enjoy the maintenance thing almost as much as the ride. For me, I'd do it myself even if it cost more (and when I break something, it usually does) .

Old 04-24-2005, 09:59 AM
Retired_Ted
Road Warrior

Harley's braided lines are actually covered with a transparent sheath - looks like braid, but, it's no different than the black lines. Keeping the chrome polished is a chore, I'll agree. But, when it's pretty, it really does do something for a bike. Reflections are really cool.

Old 04-24-2005, 02:32 PM
wild1
Cruiser

I found the harley is very easy to work on vs alot of other bikes too. This 05 is my first harley and I enjoy working on it.

Old 04-24-2005, 03:49 PM
Retired_Ted
Road Warrior

Good to hear. The most difficult part I have found so far is the fuel tank. I purchased the braided crossover line and will install that in a week or so - when adding the new braided throttle cables, I found it neccessary to do a partial removal and I think just taking the tank off would have made more sense. I'll work on a system to do just that next time I work there.

Old 04-25-2005, 10:19 PM
luvmyflhtcui
Road Captain

I had the dealer install the chrome front end(fork lowers and uppers) before I picked mine up. I have done all the mods to the bike myself and I like the fact that I have saved a ton of money in labor and I know it's done right. I have the fctory service manual and it is all I need. I think that the high labor rates are out of control.

Good luck on making your bagger look like your own.

[IMG]local://upfiles/494/31D447D68472472EAAB9D315699E5D36.jpg[/IMG]