Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Painted tweeter pod ?

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2009 | 02:24 AM
al baehr
|
Tourer
Default Painted tweeter pod ?

I just picked up a Black Pearl inner fairing, I have the hog tunes pod that I would like to have painted. The one body shop wanted $100.00 and can not promise a perfect match. Has any one came up with some alternative ideas. ?

Old 06-26-2009 | 02:36 AM
emwolb
Ultimate HDF Member

that should be pretty low tech to figure out. paint is available through harley for any of their colors, an exact match. i'd be thinking about using a new 3M scratch pad, to help with paint adhesion, harley paint with the correct reducer etc, and perhaps an adhesion additive, and just shoot it. not a big deal at all. you're not even gonna use a pint of paint, but their time is worth something too. i believe if you wanna do it very cheap, you could also paint it yourself with what's available on page 739 in your parts and accessories catalog, right at the top of the page under the letter F. - paints, where it says aerosol and quart containers. along with the correct clear coat, it should work out fine. hope this helps for an alternative.

Old 06-26-2009 | 07:07 AM
al baehr
|
Tourer

Thanks Jim, I looked into the paint, the only way to buy black pearl is in a quart size, $180.00. I do have the paint code I think I will try another shop or look into the spray can, I never knew that was available. Thanks again

Old 06-26-2009 | 07:08 AM
Uncle Fester
Tourer

$100 is ridiculous, especially when they won't promise paint-matching. Keep looking, and contact a bike painting shop. Hell, you can ship the pod to a shop, it doesn't have to be local.

Old 06-26-2009 | 05:25 PM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member

Any auto paint shop with the PPG mixing station and the computer that goes with it can look-up the formula for black pearl if their software has been updated. I spent part of the time looking at HD colors on the computer while my buddy painted my bike last month. The local PPG auto paint wholesaler will also be able to access the code and formula since they will have the computer access to the PPG intranet.

I called him this afternoon and he'll look-up the PPG code on Monday and I'll post it here or PM you. The code will allow the PPG shop or local wholesaler mix the paint.

As for "perfect match," color is effected by ambient air conditions, spraying device, spray technique, gun pressure, etc. A competent painter can get close enough with the right paint mix.

One benefit of the tweeter pod is it's contoured and pretty much a stand alone item when installed. So a close match should be fine. My pod was painted on a different day with a different batch of paints than my inner fairing. I honestly don't know if it's a "perfect match" to the inner fairing, but it sure looks great and I've gotten a ton of compliments on it.

Old 06-26-2009 | 10:17 PM
al baehr
|
Tourer

That would be great. Thanks everyone. Al