Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Would like to help my dad with his radio

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2009, 10:29 PM
Knowlen
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Would like to help my dad with his radio

Hi, I am trying to help my dad with a radio setup for his electra glide standard. I have instaled plenty of systems and am confident in my abilities. We want to put a marine radio in it with some marine components. I know I need 5.25 inch speakers, and I think we will prabably mount the tweaters in the twe circles next to where the radio would go. I believe that on some bikes there are gauges there. The problem is, we don't want to spend $140 or whatever on a install kit. What is everybody else doing. He doesn't care about losing the hand controls. The reason why I am asking this question is because I held up one of my old radios and now know that the radio is not a single din sized radio. I think $140 is rediculus for an instal kit. Please give my some other options of what I could do to make it fit.
Thank you, I really apreciate any help or answers that I get.

Old 06-25-2009, 10:49 PM
BigD64
Tourer

Check with Biketronics they have an install kit for EGS. For somewhere around 450 bucks you get the marine radio, hogtunes speakers and plug in wiring harness. They may sell the install kit separately. I just installed one on my 09 FLHTP piece of cake.

Old 06-26-2009, 01:36 AM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 40 Posts

You can buy an installation kit from Biketronics for about $50 IIRC and it will include the parts necessary to mount the unit in the opening and secure it to the fairing brackets; and, fascia plate for flush trim between the face plate and opening.

As for the handlebar control-issue, your dad will be safer on the bike being able to control the headunit with those controls rather than trying to locate and push small buttons on the radio and taking his eyes away from the road and his hands a good distance from the handlebar to do so.

As for tweeters, any 2" or so surface mount will work, and he'll probably get better listening if you mount them where the fuel and voltmeter are; just swap the gauge locations.

If you know automotive audio, you may be familiar with PAC products designed for automotive steering wheel control of aftermarket headunits. They make products for HD application. Check-out their website.

Last edited by Harleypingman; 06-26-2009 at 11:29 AM.
Old 06-26-2009, 10:20 AM
Bushy
Road Warrior
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I like your thoughts but I agree with the othersw, keep the stock handlebar buttons, safety first... second after all is said and done the cost with your set up will equal the Biketronics one I think in the long run... I have done this and simple is best.. good luck no matter how you do it, its the thought that counts

Old 06-26-2009, 10:23 AM
jimsflh
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Yep, I bought an adaptor to make my handlebar controls work, it's real easy to be screwing around with the radio and have someone cut you off, or pull out infront of you. As for mounting, use what comes with the radeo, and fab up a support strap for the back out of 1/8 inch x 3/4 steel.

Old 06-26-2009, 10:16 PM
Knowlen
6th Gear

I think we will go with the PAC handlebar button interface kit. That would be alot safer. I think I can do it. What do you guys think about using abs plastic to make a face plate to mount it to. I would really like to get this done in the next month so he can show it of to his friends when he is in sturgis
Thanks for the replies

Old 06-26-2009, 10:27 PM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 40 Posts

My first radio in my police EG was installed at an auto audio shop. They simply cut-out the faceplate from the material used on auto installations. Looked fine.

I've since installed civilian handlebar controls (like your dad's EGS has) and used the Biketronics module and installation kit--superb products IMO.

Good luck with your project. Let us know how you do with the PAC set-up. I believe the PAC module to use is PAC-SWIC. They have a wiring diagram on their website.