Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tar snakes

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2009, 09:40 PM
bigdumbnoitall00
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 669 Likes on 533 Posts

sizes of radials arent the problem, they are not load rated for the weight of baggers.that could be the difference on your raod star lighter bikes ussually have radials tires.

Old 06-26-2009, 09:33 AM
jimsflh
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Sharknose
I don't see how any doodad you bolt onto your bike would help when your tire slips on a strip of hot tar.

Unless maybe the doodad is a gyroscope. :-)
My Bad gent's I thought you meant just from the tar and asphalt patches, not molten/semimolten or wet tar patches. Here is Michigan the tar rarely gets hot enough to be a problem, and when it's wet it's just like those traffic marking stickers they use instead of paint. but for uneven surfaces and cracks, a bagger brace definately helps on my FLH

Old 06-26-2009, 09:38 AM
Classic Eagle
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have Avon Venoms on my bagger and I dont seem to feel anything unusal in the road except the uneven surface or deep grooves which you'll have on any bike or tire.

Old 06-26-2009, 12:55 PM
bobernet
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The new D407/408 Dunlops are great. For those of you lamenting tar snakes, come visit out here where they're everywhere and the temps are frequently 100F+.

Old 06-26-2009, 04:18 PM
Sharknose
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3032/...da601334_m.jpg

Let the air temp get up into the 90s under the hot sun and these babies WILL move under your tires.

Old 06-26-2009, 04:57 PM
santajim
Grand HDF Member

Received 329 Likes on 224 Posts

Like bobernet said come to Nevada where the ground opens up and makes large cracks to fill. the crack sealing material is a form of live rubber that is heated when put down and is kept soft so it can expand and contract with heat and cold but they can be scary

Old 06-26-2009, 05:04 PM
garyhendley
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

wet tire snakes are real danger i avoid them if possible and in the summertime

riding to vegas they get sticky and all over your bike i hate that crap-ride safe

Old 06-26-2009, 07:42 PM
ballpeen
Tourer

Im laughing at some of these remarks, not because there funny , but because we've all been there, In fact this last friday at the Dundee exit in michigan going to Cabelas off of US-23, it was 90 degrees , we made a nice sweeper around the corner the tires broke, as my wife says WOOOOohhh, and I say sh** hold on,. Yes, what a feelin, So I am here to say,, the tar snakes are in Michigan Tooooo... TIm

Old 06-26-2009, 08:08 PM
atrain68
Road Warrior
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Tar snakes and grated bridges make my heart skip a beat, but what I really hate is a windy road that just had the big asphalt grinder go over just before repaving. Those grooves are deep and I have to keep reminding myself to loosen my death grip and let the bike track into a better spot.

Old 06-26-2009, 08:20 PM
mtnbikerx
Tourer

FWIW, one reason we get bike squirm, especially in a straight line, is the differential in tire width. The way the front tire tracks over a pavement anormally is slightly different than the way the wider rear tire tracks. That causes the bike to react differently when each tire contacts the snake, groove, crack, whatever. As an example mount a set of narrow tires on front of your car or truck and a set of wide tires on the back. That vehicle will "nibble" back and forth going down the road as the tires encounter longitudinal cracks and ruts. Ummmm, I own a tire company - I can't help myself - I have to weigh in on this stuff

Quick Reply: Tar snakes