Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Recieved an offer on my bike

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2009, 07:31 PM
Clint55
Road Warrior
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

You are considering it at 35K and seem that you are a coinflip away from making the deal. So toss the dice at $40 firm and see what happens. I'll bet dollars to doughnuts he comes back at $37.5. This guy is a car dealer so you can trust that he has a final number in mind and has left himself more room to negotiate. You are in the drivers seat cause you are OK keeping the bike. He is in the passenger seat because he wants it.

Old 06-24-2009, 07:41 PM
layne01
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The question is, How much of your next project could you complete with the money you are getting from this one"? Is it worth it for you? If so: remember: he is a car salesman, negotiating is in his blood. He thrives on making "the deal" happen. He is definitely willing to pay more than his first offer, but, remember, to him, the win is in the negotiation! Keep adding value to what you have done, and how much it would cost to build your bike, parts and labor, and time! And how rare it is. Ask if he can afford it? Attain your just rewards.

Old 06-24-2009, 07:42 PM
n8dc
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by brihvac
Call him and tell him you found a 34 with a 383 stroker 440hp with air, power windows, blah blah blah. I will cut you in. Im not kidding
Wow thats sweet . I had one of those too ... that one netted 32.5k and I made 10 k on it .... Ive never been without a bike even all the times i was playing with the hot rods but im now with out a car again.. The money looks good in the bank and ive got a lot of reasons why I decided to get out of the hot rod game.. My 32 was so nice I hated to drive the thing and I can see that could happen on a bike too... I dont even know any hot rodders or talk to any now so I cant really help but ill keep your car in mind if someone should ask.. The problem is the economy now.. I took a 3k hit on my last car a 32 roadster on just what I had invested but again I was looking down the road and that 25k came in handy. This guy has one sweet bike and its his decision and i really dont think were gonna push him over one edge or the other. He already knows what he is gonna do he just wants to mess with us ... Its way too easy to ask for help deciding on a deal like this on the internet.. I get a kick out of reading the responses . Do that like on the HAMB hot rod board and you get the opinions of 12000 13 or 14 year olds that use skate boards to get around but can help you with anything including investments and how to build a rust bucket.. ... by the way how much for the 34...

Old 06-24-2009, 08:43 PM
VT Hog
Road Warrior
Received 30 Likes on 16 Posts

Easy for me to say...

SOLD!!

That is my opinion... Good luck!

Old 06-24-2009, 09:14 PM
Whiskers
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 101 Likes on 46 Posts

I turned down an offer for $23K for my Road King a couple months ago. Yup, I know...the bike isn't worth that much and I could have bought an Ultra or new King and re-created another one.

I turned it down though. Am I sorry? Not one bit! I like my current bike too much to think about parting with it. Realy though, its your decision whether you'll regret it or not.

Old 06-24-2009, 09:18 PM
OG1
Road Master
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

well you can never get all your money back, but sometimes no amount of money is worth parting with your project.

Old 06-24-2009, 09:33 PM
harley0711
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 94 Likes on 80 Posts

Money is nothing but a 'tool' thing is some people just have a bigger tool box than others... Like stated - life is short - if YOU feel the $$$ is good - then take it and have fun - BUT use the $$$ to get something you can look at and say "Ya - Now that's cool" keep it for a while and move on if YOU want..
If the bike is close to your heart - then again,,, Its only $$$$$$$$$$$$$

BTW - my HD had a yellow SE Road Glide and a Silver SE EG on the floor yesterday... boy, to have $35K in my pocket..... I am afraid that SE EG would have been MINE, in a heart beat..... what a machine..

Old 06-24-2009, 09:59 PM
Badbagger
Grand HDF Member

Received 323 Likes on 190 Posts

Tough call Aben... I've sat back and watched that bike you've got come together for a long long time now. It's absolutely one sweet bike. True, you could pay cash for a new one yes and perhaps buy the wife a bike yes. However, break out the credit cards and start all over again. Before you decide... take out a legal pad and start listing the mods you'd do on a brand new scooter. They'll add up and add up fast in the cash dept and don't forget the $800 plus sales tax on a new one. I've been where you're at more than once. Before I bought the bike I have now I was looking at the brand new 09's and don't get me wrong, they are nice. I opted to go for a VERY low mileage 894 miles low 06 EG Classic that I paid $13k for in pure stock form. Was at the dealer a few weeks later and salesman asked if I'd thought about it any further and I called him out.... outside that is. I told him what I thought of the 09's and he told me this "I'd have done exactly the same thing if I were in your shoes". The true cost of the 09 is surely not just MSRP... knowing you, tack on another $10k plus lol. Whatever your decision know I wish you the best and if it were me personally and I had that bike, I'd keep it.

BB

Old 06-24-2009, 10:36 PM
BigDaddyMike
Club Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

NOTHING quite like a 'fresh canvas'...and YES the 09s are schweet!

Old 06-24-2009, 11:08 PM
Chumplestilskin
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think many have hit it on the head when they say that fixin them up is half the fun. If that's the case and you come out ahead doing that..why not go for it?

If that is not the case, I would not do it as it appears you got what you want now.

Quick Reply: Recieved an offer on my bike