Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

back issues..how do you cope...

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2009 | 09:30 AM
mainshaft
Road Warrior

2 bad disks in my lower back, my back doesn't bother me a bit when I'm riding. Put me in a car or sitting at work and it kills me. Had back issues since 2000, heading in next week for another MRI. Vicodin seems to work for me.

Old 06-25-2009 | 09:30 AM
Jambon1
Tourer

Originally Posted by backdoc_rider
That is the biggest crock of nonsense I've ever heard. Falls into the category of bullshit I mentioned earlier. I treat people with HNP every day. 150,000 adjustments (manipulations if you like) and absolutely nothing even close to a severe side effect from the adjustment. I have neurosurgeons refer to me all the time.
That is precisely what I said.

A chiropractor is a licensed physician
Did I say otherwise? NO!

you are completely ignorant of the research and the mechanics and neurology that you are so freely dispensing advice about.
I speak from experience. I have Cauda Equina syndrome (look it up) due to a "licensed physician".

I wasn't trying to get into a pissing contest. You evidently have a problem with reading comprehension.
Just goes to show no matter how much you pay for education, sometimes you just don't get your money's worth.

Last edited by Jambon1; 06-25-2009 at 02:02 PM.
Old 06-25-2009 | 10:37 AM
PHREDD71
Cruiser

I do 800mg ibuprofen in the morning and have one of those back supports that wraps around your belly and fastens with velcro. Works well to keep my back supported. Will probably look into a backrest once I can scrape together some $$$$. BTW, I am on a SG with stock seat.

Old 06-25-2009 | 12:03 PM
JustDennis
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Jambon1
Adjustable backrest and frequent stops. It's HELL gettin Old.
Nice Bike

+1 the rider's backrest is the best accessory I have ever added to any of my bikes. That and ibuprofen really help.

Old 06-25-2009 | 12:07 PM
SoFla
Outstanding HDF Member

Question for backdoc_rider:

With my chiropractor having me come in once a week for the electro-stimulation, is it a way to just keep me connected to his office. Or is it really beneficial? An MD friend of mine swears that the only way electro-stimulation would work is if you went to bed with it at night and had it on all night long.

Be honest.... most of us do not know each other here.

Old 06-25-2009 | 12:15 PM
nvsteve
Ultimate HDF Member

I have back problems tho not severe. Here's what I did for a trip last year with pretty long days. One of which was 750 miles.
Adjustable back rest. I like Mustang over HD.
Properly adjusted highway pegs.
Sheepskin cover. My Ultra seat is fairly comfortable but the cover really helps.
Compression shorts (non padded) rathar thn regular underwear.

If the back rest and highway pegs are adjusted just right you can put enough pressure on your feet once in a while to relax your back and shoulders. Moving your feet from the boards to pegs once in a while also helps. The back rest also allows you to relax your upper back and arms.

Old 06-25-2009 | 12:32 PM
Barneys Owner
Advanced

feels like a huge knot
My chiro also does a technic called grafton (maybe spelled wrong). It is a form of deep tissue work that removes the muscle knots. The work isn't with her hands but with metal spoon like thing. I go to her once a month as I have three bad vertebre in my back and a dead nerve in one leg that causes me to limp. You should see if a chiro where you are does the techique. I do not have any real back pain any more and when I go to her it is mainly to keep the muscles from knotting up and causing problems. Before I found her I was in pain for months because I couldn't work a knot out, even with exercise.

Old 06-25-2009 | 12:54 PM
CHGO5OH
Tourer

Originally Posted by jimsflh
You may want to look into epideral steroid injections, sometimes they will add an anti inflamitory drug to the injection as well. Chiro's are ok, I see one, but this guy is the ultimate gung-ho chiro, I'd use caution. My chiro is great, but tried to manipulate to relieve pressure on a disk and made it worse. I ultimately ended up having surgery because momma came down to hard on me the day after the adjustment at the chiro, I felt it go, couldn't use my leg the next day. Don't discount modern medicine, or chiro, or massage. a combo of all may help. Tried a good back brace?
I dont know who to trust anymore. It's all about the money, as long as they have it they are happy. I really want to hit the gym but the pain is so bad. I hope this next doctor helps me out.

Old 06-25-2009 | 01:09 PM
BoomerBob
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by cbears
New bars that are higher and further back, adjustable backrest, Mustang seat, highway pegs, frequent stops, Ibuprofren.
+1 on the above.

Old 06-25-2009 | 02:00 PM
frontiercat
Elite HDF Member

Proper back stretches work for me. Sitting on the edge of a chair, put your left ankle on top of your right knee and bend your back slowly toward your crossed leg (back bending straight down, not at an angle). Feel the pulling from your hamstrings, hip and lower back...hold down as far as you can for around 6 seconds and then swap legs and repeat. First make sure no one is watching you and laughing, but it does feel good.

This has helped for me in the last couple of weeks. Have to do this hourly at work at my desk. Physical therapist gave me a few stretches to do a few years back after finding out I have Degenerative Disc Disease (determined after multiple MRIs)...I want surgery to be my last option and so far the therapy/stretching has really, really helped out.

I do use an adjustable rider's backrest and highway pegs and they help adjust regularly while riding. I take no pain killers or aspirin either. Sometimes I have to just pull over and do a set of stretches and un-wind.

Seems like all of us have abused our bodies in our early years...I know I did.

Quick Reply: back issues..how do you cope...