Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

back issues..how do you cope...

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2009 | 03:00 PM
HD Renegade
Road Warrior

Back rest, and a good seat. Go see Allen at MeanCityCycles.com and be sure to tell him your back issues and he can help you out.

Old 06-24-2009 | 03:15 PM
backdoc_rider
Tourer

I can't let this one go without responding.

GO TO A CHIROPRACTOR!

The stretching is a good idea, proper seat, bar, floorboard ergo's definitely. The "Lots of ibuprofen" advice should be taken with a grain of salt. Heavy use of ibuprofen over a long period of time results in gastric bleeding. Uncontrolled GI bleeding from long term NSAID (eg ibuprofen) use kills around 10,000 Americans every year.

If you have a disc herniation with extruded nucleus in the canal, you need surgery and it is quite successful with that specific condition. Anything short of that may respond and often completely go away with chiropractic care. Yes there are good and bad chiro's and sometimes even with good care, your situation may not resolve with chiro care, but it is conservative, safe (unconfirmed horror stories that my brothers, uncles, friends, neighbor told me he went to a chiro and now he..., blah blah usually are just bullshit) and could be the ticket. I get a lot of riders back to comfortable in the saddle again.

Good luck

Old 06-24-2009 | 03:18 PM
garyhendley
Outstanding HDF Member

4 back surgeries and still riding of course i am highly medicated but not when

i am riding back brace works good for me-ride safe

Old 06-24-2009 | 03:26 PM
tremor
Cruiser

A post-ride massage at one of your local establishments may lead to a happy ending.

Old 06-24-2009 | 03:27 PM
REVDOGGY
Cruiser

Percs before and after I ride it was it is.

Old 06-24-2009 | 03:34 PM
frog13
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by bazam9s
Coincidental post...I feel your pain..literally!! I had to go to the Dr's this morning for lower right back pain. I've slowly gotten it the past 3 weeks. Since it's been raining. Can't get comfortable. Hurts like a bitch. My C&C seat helps but after 1-200 miles I have to get off and walk around. Can't take ibprofen because of other health issues. They prescribed me valium and flexerol and I just dropped it of at the pharmacy..so I don't know if it works yet. Can't use it while riding. Don't know what I'm going to do. I won't quit riding after 37 years of it and I won't get a trike.
+1 on the flexerol, I would only take it after the ride. Naproxen works good, too, but like anything else, if you need this daily you need to see doc, constant meds is not the answer. Might be fun sometimes, but the solution is with the Doc.

Old 06-24-2009 | 03:35 PM
tremor
Cruiser

duplicate. sorry.

Last edited by tremor; 06-24-2009 at 08:38 PM. Reason: unintentional double post. board burp.
Old 06-24-2009 | 03:36 PM
machpilot
|
Road Captain

Im trying to get off the motrin, 22 years in the army and it tears me up after taking it for so long...been to a chiro and have had limited sucess....wondering if there is a back brace that will put pressure on the flank nerve that causes the discomfort....how ironic that the spot is exactly where my ruck sack rested on my back on the long road marches i did all these years....

Old 06-24-2009 | 03:46 PM
FastHoss
Elite HDF Member

Riding is alot more work than most know.I work out about every night to stay in shape.Getting old isn't for wimps.About the only problem I have now is a wet butt from hot summer rides,the cure is a real sheep skin pad,works wonders.

Old 06-24-2009 | 03:47 PM
Flying Horse
Road Warrior

There is really only so many things one can do BUT the most helpful thing I've found is to use a riders backrest. They make a huge difference.
For me, I live in pain every day from nerve damage to screws and mesh patches holding me together. It may seem stupid but in my case, I've just leanred to live in pain. The bad days you just don't ride.

Quick Reply: back issues..how do you cope...