Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Street Glide for a new rider?

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2009, 08:49 AM
jstone8158
Stage II
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Street Glide for a new rider?

Hey Guys new to the forum and in the market for a new bike. I have wanted a Harley my whole life and after a long tour in Iraq I finally have the money to buy whatever I want. I went to the dealership and fell in love with the 09 Street Glide. My biggest concern is if this is a good idea since I have limited riding experience. I rode a honda 450 street bike for two years back in high school but I have never ridden such a big bike. I am 6'2 185lbs and I really like the way I feel sitting on the Glide. It just feels right. If anybody has any advice please post it.

Thanks.

Old 06-24-2009, 08:56 AM
hogowner69
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

First off!! THANKS FOR SERVING!!

If you feel "confident" on a bike after you didn't ride for a while I would say go for it....

or you can buy a cheap used bike....get some riding in....sell it after a month or so...then move on up to the Glide.....

I really can't give you an answer.....wish I could.....

thanks again for serving! I wish you the best!

Old 06-24-2009, 08:59 AM
kstewart422
Cruiser

You will love that bike. You are physically large enough, you should have no problem with that bagger. If you feel a bit intimidated, take a class. Sign up for the BRC (Beginner Riding Class). If you have ridden for any length of time you most likely don't need it. The classes do help with insurance costs. Plus they are a reminder of what to be aware of, and help your basic skills. Ride it about for a few weeks, then go take an ERC (Experienced Rider Course). You will have a great time.

Glad your home safe

Last edited by kstewart422; 06-24-2009 at 09:07 AM.
Old 06-24-2009, 09:02 AM
sho_tym
Intermediate

I've been riding a 1200 sportster for about 7 years, and just recently moved up to an '06 SG. The differences are what you would expect with a bigger bike. It has more power so ineffective clutch use, like popping it, would be a bigger problem. It takes more to slow it down because it weighs more. Moving it around at slow speeds is more of a challenge because it weighs 740+ lbs.

On the positive though, these bikes are well balanced, the clutch is smooth, and it's a comfortable ride. IMHO it would be worth it to get the bike you want initially, instead of getting something else and then trading up in a year. Good luck on your purchase, and welcome back home!

Old 06-24-2009, 09:11 AM
pte359
Tourer

As stated above THANKS FOR YOUR SERVICE, I also would go for the bike you want, Th S/G is a great bike and it is balanced well. The riding class is a great idea also, some think it is a joke but it is worth the time and effort. It will also help when you take your test for m/c licenses.

Old 06-24-2009, 09:17 AM
big_al
Elite HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would also tell you to take the motorcycle riding course and buy the SG from the get go. Dont waste your money buying anything else and you will be sorry that you did...

Thanks for your service glad to have you back home!!!

Old 06-24-2009, 09:20 AM
xd.404life
Tourer

Actually the riding class (MSF) is mandatory if you are still in. Take the class on there bike, it will give you a good Idea of your comfort level. I had not ridin' in a long time, took the class felt good about it and bought a brand new 09 SG-love it and could not be happier. Good Luck and welcome home, where are you stationed?

Old 06-24-2009, 09:27 AM
PoorBoy
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Welcome back!!!!!! Thanks for serving.

You'll love the SG, I love mine.

You're young and still strong, you'll be able to man-handle any low-speed maneuvering mistakes that will be your biggest challenge.

Everybody dumps or drops sooner or later. A cheaper used bike won't bother you as much. But that wouldn't stop me if you have the drive to ride.

In all of my life (now at age 54) I am only on my 2nd new bike, and they have been back to back now.

Keep us all informed, best of luck!!!!!

Old 06-24-2009, 09:33 AM
georgemcghee
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

if you have the desire you will not have any trouble with this bike it handles great and you will enjoy it. i love mine

Old 06-24-2009, 09:42 AM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 40 Posts

As others have said, take the MSF Basic Rider Course. My '04 EG was my first bike in 40 years and it's been a great 4+ years and 50K miiles since Feb. '05. Take the course, avoid testosterone poisoning, and you'll be fine.

And thank you for your service.

Quick Reply: Street Glide for a new rider?