Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Street Glide for a new rider?

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2009, 02:08 PM
ThePointman
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Buy the one you want now or you will just be seeing SG's around and wishing you had. Also take the courses as mentioned, I did and am very glad I decided to as will you!

Old 06-24-2009, 02:35 PM
CHGO5OH
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

DO IT!!! My first bike was a 03 Yamaha Roadstar that I got in 04. First time ever driving a motorcycle. My SG is my 3rd bike and I'm really glad I got it. You have to test ride it to get that feeling. Thanks for serving your country!

Old 06-24-2009, 02:40 PM
jimsflh
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Definately thank you for your service and sacrifice (ooh-RAH!)
The SG's handle very nicely, I'd take the BRC (using their bikes) and just take it easy man, you have nothing to prove, you're already a hero! My #1 piece of advise, never stop respecting the bike (not only it's power, but it's weight) and watch out for idiots in cages on their cell phones. First upgrade should be an air horn, or as a guy in my chapter did, got an old cadillac horn from the bone yard. Stock horns suck! Decent self contained air hornes on Ebay (avoid chinese)

Old 06-24-2009, 04:40 PM
IzzoQuazzo
Retired Admin

Received 9,041 Likes on 3,711 Posts

Ditto on all the above. Get the SG or everytime you see one you'll wonder if you should have. Get the Street Glide. You earned it.

Thanks for your service from a fellow vet.

Old 06-24-2009, 07:04 PM
sat4314
Road Captain
Received 1,735 Likes on 81 Posts
Default Disabled Viet Nam Vet Here

Welcome home brother......I did not ride from 75 till June of 2008. I bought a new Dyna and after just 5000 miles traded up to a 2009 Street Glide. Personnaly I felt like I needed to start out on something a little more nimble and less weight in the beginning. I also recommend the riders edge course or any college course as they are usually a few dollars cheaper.

I believe if I had started out on the Street Glide I would have been ok as it handles great and is a well balanced bike. The only thing that took some getting used to was the brembo brakes and the additional weight of the fairing. Don't use the front brake making a hard right turn out of a parking lot would be my first piece of advice. I did not drop it but came close.

Have just 4000 miles on the SG now and feel very comfortable on it. I am 6ft and 240 lbs and yes it is a heavy bike, but as long as you do not "hot dog" it until you get a few miles under your belt you should be fine.

Ride responsibly and take it easy. The touring bikes are for the journey and not how fast you can get there. Kick back and put on some tunes and enjoy the scenery.

If you ever get to Maryland, give me a shout and we'll take a putt. I did not get any "welcome homes" when I came back, but it's nice to see times have changed.

Seabees "Can Do"

Old 06-24-2009, 07:59 PM
atrain68
Road Warrior
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Thanks for your service. I rode crotch rockets for a few years while I was in the Navy, but that was twenty years ago. When I got back into riding almost four years ago, I went with Harley. IMO learning to ride a Harley is like re-learning how to ride a motorcycle.

Definitely take the MSF course. You probably can take the course on your base or somewhere nearby. Even with past riding experience, the skills in that course will really go a long way to help you ride safely and with a lot of confidence.

As for the SG. You can't make a mistake with that choice. Save some cash for a different seat. Usually that is one of the first things to get switched out first.

Old 06-24-2009, 08:06 PM
harleybill2008
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had a triumph 750 back in the 70's. I hadn't been on a bike until the 90's and bought a Dyna Low Rider and the first year was a bit hesitant as I wasn't used to the stopping or turning of the bike and ESPECIALLY with a passenger. If you get one, just take it very easy until you get comfortable. Don't get caught up in somebody else's riding style or you could get in trouble. It's probably best if you do most of your riding by yourself to begin with. Once you do feel comfortable and you eventually will (unless your a dork), you should have no problems. You are surly big enough to handle so size of the bike in this case doesn't matter.

Old 06-25-2009, 08:52 AM
emwolb
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

lots of great advice, and i'd like to add that it'd be nice if you could find a harley riding buddy with a touring bike to ride with to go chase down some coffee in a town an hour or so away, you'll feel comfortable and have someone who can answer questions, or give you tips when you're sitting drinking iced tea or whatever. good for you. glad you're back, vets are the tops, spoken from experience. ride safe whatever you do. you're gonna so dig your new bike.

Old 06-25-2009, 09:36 AM
DrQ
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I took the riding course at a local Harley shop, they gave me a retired Road king police bike. It's the first bike I ever rode and a hellavalot easier to ride than my XL883.

Old 06-25-2009, 10:10 AM
jimsflh
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by sat4314

If you ever get to Maryland, give me a shout and we'll take a putt. I did not get any "welcome homes" when I came back, but it's nice to see times have changed.

Seabees "Can Do"
Welcome home bro! (Albeit belated) I for one appreciate your service to our country, and anyone that doesn't can go fawk themselves!!!

From a peace time vet that was ready and willing to fight, win, or die for this great country of ours.

Ride Safe!

Quick Reply: Street Glide for a new rider?