Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Street Glide for a new rider?

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2009, 09:58 AM
jstone8158
Stage II
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for all the help, that is kinda the support I was looking for when posting this thread. To xd.404life I am stationed in Heidelberg, Germany hoping to get back to Alabama when my next re-enlistment comes up. To all that support the military I thank you. America is the Greatest country on earth and it is my privilege to serve you!

Old 06-24-2009, 10:00 AM
hucks 08
Road Captain

thanks for the service fellow vet, i think i would take a riding coarse first.

Old 06-24-2009, 10:03 AM
chizman
Advanced

+1 on getting the Street Glide. At 5'6 i was a little concerned about the riding position and weight. While I still realize that at 800 pounds this is a big bike, it doesn't feel like it. I think you will be extremely happy with the SG.

Old 06-24-2009, 11:02 AM
lp johnny
Road Captain

Just stopped by to say thanks for your Service!
As for the SG..if it moves you ..go for it..last year I bought a '03 Roadking after a 10 yr break..and just traded it for an '09 Electra Glide Standard..and added the SG shocks to lower it for my short ****.
I don't think you'll find it's too much bike..they really handle well

Old 06-24-2009, 11:16 AM
skydrifter
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks for your service, my son is in the Army he did a year in Iraq he got back 3 months ago. He is also saving his money for a new Harley he likes the Fat Boy . I think you should rent a SG the dealer should put the rental cost torwards the bike if you should decide to buy one. Get what you want and ride it you have earn it. Thanks again

Old 06-24-2009, 11:17 AM
VARDR
Cruiser

Thanks for serving...I was in the exact same situation as you were last year. Hadn't been on a bike in 20 years and never a HD. Bought one when I was still deployed, took the madatory MSF course when I redeployed and then hopped on and road...after 3K miles I can't tell you how much I love the bike and the ride. Stay safe and welcome back.

Old 06-24-2009, 11:19 AM
bobernet
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had a long lay-off from riding (almost 15 years). Took Rider's Edge, bought an 09 Road King, and have ridden every day since. The touring bikes are heavy, but you're not packing it on your back.

If you're a little nervous, I'd spend the couple hundred bucks to get a set of saddle bag guards installed. After a few months and getting more comfortable, you can always take them back off. Then any low-speed drop worries will mostly amount to just scratched crash bars.

I got out of the Navy in '94. Thanks for your service, soldier.

Bob

Old 06-24-2009, 11:45 AM
mnskip
Tourer

Just had to stop and say thanks for your service. I must say, after your long term in Iraq and your size, that bike will stand up and salute you! Not to worry, if you do accidently drop that thing you will have a bunch of us vets there to help you. Good luck in your choice.

Old 06-24-2009, 01:26 PM
krussell
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thank you for your service!

I would never recommend a SG for a new rider, even if you had some experience back in high school. Take the BRC. Buy a used bike <500 ccs or so. Put several thousand miles on that used bike. Then, go buy a SG. Ride it about 1k mi then go take the ERC on it. Have fun from there.

When you drop or otherwise have an issue on the used bike your loss will not be much $ wise. Make a newbie mistake on a SG with a bit of speed and you probably will be out several $k.

Old 06-24-2009, 02:02 PM
dailydriver
Road Captain

My wife is 5'7" and about 170lbs and she rides my StreetGlide without any problems...The bike is low and balanced well...I wouldn't do any wheelies right away but you won't have any problems...Hope this helps and Thank you for your service...

Quick Reply: Street Glide for a new rider?