Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Alarm Questions, bike will not start when Piezo siren is connected?

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2009, 04:15 PM
jjr
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Alarm Questions, bike will not start when Piezo siren is connected?

I have done this install 4 or 5 times before on past bikes and never had a problem like this, its the one using the Radio Shack Piezo Siren.

My bike is a 05 FLHRI w/TLE Sidecar and here is what happens.

With the Siren unplugged I can arm the system and the lights blink and I see the armed light in the speedo. If I shake the bike the lamps flash.

If it try to start the bike the lamps flash, motor starts and dies.

OK now I connect the Piezo Siren, I arm the system and the lights flash and siren chrips.

If I shake the bike the siren makes noise and lights flash.

But if I try to start the bike with the alarm truned off the motor will start and run fine but the siren stays on.

Next I tried reversing the red and black wires that plug into the brown and green.

Now when I arm the siren it makes a weird chirp. If I try to start the motor with the alarm off the motor just turns over and will not start. I unplug the Siren and motor will start right up and run.

Any ideas????????????????

TIA,
John

Last edited by jjr; 06-23-2009 at 04:32 PM.
Old 06-25-2009, 10:38 AM
jjr
Road Captain

OK well today I ran though the diagonositc codes TSSM and all showed none. Except for the last one which looks like the letter E with the top part- of the E missing. When I ran that it showed no_srp which I looked up and it says that either the run stop switch was in the off position or the bike did not have a tachometer installed. The switch was in the run position so that was not it. Also the bike does not have a tachometer. So everything looks normal.

If I had any problem with the factory alarm that would of showed up correct? My thinking is either that the RS Piezo may be faulty in some way casing the problems or the only other think would be that since the right turn signal from the bike has been disconnedted and now runs through the right lamp on the sidecar that could be the problem.

Before I run out and but the HD siren I would like to hear from anyone esle who had a issue like this. Or perhaps I will buy another Piezo siren from a different RS and try that before I buy the HD Smart Siren.......

Here is a 12mb movie of the diag:

http://www.angelfire.com/il3/twins/norspcode.wmv

Old 06-25-2009, 11:11 AM
capt_caveman
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jjr

If it try to start the bike the lamps flash, motor starts and dies.
I don't have any good suggestions for you but this caught my attention. I have an 05 FLHTCI and when my alarm is active, the start button is totally dead. The bike won't even attempt to turn over. Was the alarm system from an 04 different than the 05? (thinking maybe the bike was a early production run?)

Old 07-03-2009, 12:53 PM
jjr
Road Captain

UPDATE:
Well I just found out that some of these Piezo alarms are just plain defective, after all the problems I was getting this one to work I decided to buy the HD Siren. Plugged it in and everything works just fine.

So apparently any of you folks who have any type of problem getting yours to work return it and try another. In my case with the piezo alarm off when I started my motor the siren would stay on as well as a few other things that I have posted earlier.

I did speak with sombody about this and they explained it could be somthing as simple as a OHM difference that could cause this.

As mentioned I did this install on 4 or 5 of last HD and the Piezo always work flawlessly untill this time when it caused nothing but headaches.

Best of luck and have a safe 4th!