Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Handle bar adjustment

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2009, 08:01 AM
PiedPiper
Road Captain
Received 70 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by bikehunter
I've just found a PDF file http://www.harleyhog.co.uk/photos/my.../rkbarswap.pdf explaining where there are two screws but I have 2 blanks in their place, are these to be removed first? Sorry if this thread is boring readers but this is a nightmare as I want to tighten up the handlebars and 1 cover is in the way.
there were no blanks on my bike. pop the plastic cover and remove 2 screws and the cover comes off allowing full access to the bar clamp. your application is different but don't know why. either harley made a change in my year or someone messed with your bike (assuming you bought used). your gonna have to do some investigating as to what those plugs are or do but there's gotta to be a way since adjusting bars is a necessity. good luck and let me know how you make it. how about talking to your dealer's service dept?

Old 07-29-2009, 08:08 AM
PiedPiper
Road Captain

I've just found a PDF file http://www.harleyhog.co.uk/photos/my.../rkbarswap.pdf explaining where there are two screws but I have 2 blanks in their place, are these to be removed first? Sorry if this thread is boring readers but this is a nightmare as I want to tighten up the handlebars and 1 cover is in the way.
just took a closer look at your picture of the cover. I think your gonna have to remove those plugs somehow since that's what's holding down the cover.

Old 07-29-2009, 08:09 AM
PiedPiper
Road Captain

have you tried moving the lock mechanism to a different position? maybe that has something to do with hit. just guessing now.

Old 07-29-2009, 09:13 AM
jchill
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Bikehunter,
I don't have an answer for your issue at this point. I'm like the others, at work and can't remeber seeing the things you are. A while back I swapped out my stock bars on my '05 Road King and folks here sent me to the following site. check it out and see if it helps any.
http://www.moccsplace.com/images/harley/hbar/hbar.htm

Also, I went with the HD 'Reduced Reach Bars'. they bring you back like 2 1/2 inches. These are perfect for me and they were only like $180.00 total out the door.

Old 07-29-2009, 09:25 AM
two22
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i have a set of 2 inch pullback bars if intrested i bought them then decided to go with apes 60.00 shipped

Old 07-29-2009, 02:02 PM
bikehunter
Tourer
Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Well, further examining of the so called blanks turned out to be anti tamper screws. I tapped them round with a punch and it went round. Now they are slotted to be re-used. So if any one else gets the same problem, its here complete with picture.

Old 07-29-2009, 02:05 PM
bikehunter
Tourer

Thanks PiedPiper for your help, very grateful for the input. Also to the other members, many thanks!

Last edited by bikehunter; 07-29-2009 at 02:12 PM.
Old 07-30-2009, 04:39 AM
emwolb
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

isn't it the heritage softail bars that the guys have found to be very comfortable? i thought i saw this a month or two ago. stock seats, handlebars, and mufflers is where harley makes a lot of residual money. that's why they probably still make them with uncomfortable parts to begin with. see, they are smarter than us.

Old 07-30-2009, 06:25 AM
PiedPiper
Road Captain

Thanks PiedPiper for your help, very grateful for the input. Also to the other members, many thanks!
no problem. glad you got it figured out. wonder why harley swithced to standard screws a year later? but glad they did.

Old 07-31-2009, 03:18 AM
bikehunter
Tourer

Probably run out of shear bolts!!!!
Wouldn't mind another set of bars but only if I can keep the original cables etc, what normaly is a replacment?
Those bars on offer from two22 for 60$ look a good idea but I think the shipping charge is in the US,

Quick Reply: Handle bar adjustment