Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Superflow or Max2's

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2009, 05:49 PM
spider424
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Superflow or Max2's

I just got me an 09 Street Glide and I'm not a big fan of the sound of the stock pipes.
I'm looking at the pipes on the B & E Performance web site, I'm stuck between the
Super Flows with a 2.0 or the Max2's. Any help pulling the trigger on this would be greatly appreciated.

Old 06-24-2009, 12:40 AM
JohnScrip
Road Warrior
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

The MAX series are for stock setups, the Superflows are great for true-dual.

Overall, I like the Max 2's... I've used both - The Superflows were nice, maybe a little "puffy" sounding. The Max 2's are freakish - Crispy, big sounding pipes that appear perfectly stock - which is a plus if you're in "unfriendly territory" (of which more and more seem to be popping up every six months or so).

THAT SAID - If you go with the Max 2's, try this --

Install the LEFT one. That's what I wound up with. Nice rumble, just enough 'crack' when you give it a twist, great sound at idle (after a few minutes once it warms up). But not "too loud" -- And again, the look of stock (although you might need a spritz of high-temp matte black spray paint). The left muffler is more or less a resonator. The right one is where the "clack-clack" comes from - And it's loud. Rinehart loud. If you want that sort of volume, you'll be one happy camper. If you want a "nicer" more "Harley" sound without going overboard, the 'left-only' option might be just what you're looking for. It's nice, it's warm - and when you're up around 3k on an on-ramp, people will know you're coming (and you'll be smiling ear-to-ear).

Last edited by JohnScrip; 06-24-2009 at 12:44 AM.
Old 06-24-2009, 05:36 AM
Frankie-FLHXI
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Old 06-24-2009, 06:51 AM
wjl24
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

A friend of mine has python Predators for sale. He put them on his 2009 Streetglide and wants something louder. These things sound perfect to me. Nice deep idle but not loud at all cruising. Contact 2swild if interested. He has them listed in classified section 6-21-09.

Last edited by wjl24; 06-24-2009 at 06:54 AM.
Old 07-23-2009, 11:38 PM
Lowridin packer
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnScrip
The MAX series are for stock setups, the Superflows are great for true-dual.

Overall, I like the Max 2's... I've used both - The Superflows were nice, maybe a little "puffy" sounding. The Max 2's are freakish - Crispy, big sounding pipes that appear perfectly stock - which is a plus if you're in "unfriendly territory" (of which more and more seem to be popping up every six months or so).

THAT SAID - If you go with the Max 2's, try this --

Install the LEFT one. That's what I wound up with. Nice rumble, just enough 'crack' when you give it a twist, great sound at idle (after a few minutes once it warms up). But not "too loud" -- And again, the look of stock (although you might need a spritz of high-temp matte black spray paint). The left muffler is more or less a resonator. The right one is where the "clack-clack" comes from - And it's loud. Rinehart loud. If you want that sort of volume, you'll be one happy camper. If you want a "nicer" more "Harley" sound without going overboard, the 'left-only' option might be just what you're looking for. It's nice, it's warm - and when you're up around 3k on an on-ramp, people will know you're coming (and you'll be smiling ear-to-ear).
Johnscrip - you are the BEST. I did exactly what you said. At first, I installed both MAX 2 mufflers - too loud, but a fantastic sound. So I put the stock right pipe back on and it is PERFECT!!!! The bike runs a lot cooler too. Almost like true duals. and the BARK when you twist the throttle is great.

Bobvic took a while (2 weeks) to get these to me, but for $150 it was worth the wait. I went to bike night tonight and had several compliments on the sound - that never happened with the CVO mufflers I was running before...

Thank you so much.
I would suggest this to everyone.

Old 07-24-2009, 12:14 AM
JohnScrip
Road Warrior

NICE!!!

It's a common story - A "secret weapon" in the "nice sound without being obnoxious" wars (around here, where everyone is adopting new noise ordinances, it's a near-perfect solution).

Yeah, forgot to mention the "runs a bit cooler" part - Also forgot to mention that my rural highway ("5th gear" stuff) mileage improved significantly...

Old 07-24-2009, 01:04 AM
emwolb
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

if you want to check out the sound of most any sort of pipe setup you can find, go to your nearest harley shop on a saturday morning, and sit outside and listen. i have used rinehart slip ons on my past three harleys, and like the sound, and the percieved improvement of power. your decision though.

Old 07-24-2009, 12:50 PM
Lowridin packer
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by emwolb
if you want to check out the sound of most any sort of pipe setup you can find, go to your nearest harley shop on a saturday morning, and sit outside and listen. i have used rinehart slip ons on my past three harleys, and like the sound, and the percieved improvement of power. your decision though.
That is a good idea, but you will normally NOT see the Superflows - for $150, they are also CHEAPER than anything else, and they look stock, which is a plus.

I am going to try and do a video

Johnscrip - I will let you know what the mileage does, I hope I get the same effect.

Ed

Old 07-25-2009, 02:36 AM
gunner11
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I got the Max 2's and love em', can't beat $157 shipped and they look great!

Old 07-26-2009, 11:04 PM
JohnScrip
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Lowridin packer
That is a good idea, but you will normally NOT see the Superflows - for $150, they are also CHEAPER than anything else, and they look stock, which is a plus.

I am going to try and do a video

Johnscrip - I will let you know what the mileage does, I hope I get the same effect.

Ed
If you do, send me a link, eh?

I've been getting so tired of typing the same thing over and over about these things that I BLOGGED about 'em yesterday. Now I can just throw in a link. ;-) A video would be a nice addition... So hard to capture that sound though...