Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bad luck with Elite 3 - Oh well.

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2009, 09:18 PM
capt_caveman
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Bad luck with Elite 3 - Oh well.

I needed a front tire and decided to switch to the Elite 3 with plans to put one on the rear when it was due. I ordered the tire in and everything was good until I took it to the shop for mounting and balancing. The tech came out and said he was having a problem with the tire. It apparently had a mfg defect and was too heavy to one side. The tech unmounted the tire 4 times and rotated it to a different position on the wheel. The best he could do to balance the tire was to add 7oz. to the wheel. I agreed with the tech that the tire was bad. I'm leaving for the Smokey Mountains in 2 weeks and this was the only time I had to get the tire changed so I had to go with the OEM D402F again and returned the Elite 3. I can't complain too much about the 402F. The tire has somewhere over 20k on it and it wasn't totally worn out yet but close enough to change before I go on some long trips in July. I don't know what I'll do when the rear tire needs replace. I'll figure that out when the time comes I guess.

Old 06-21-2009, 09:38 PM
riteway
Extreme HDF Member
Received 988 Likes on 679 Posts

Where did you buy E-3, and wont they quick ship you another? This is the first i have heard of this problem? What did your supplier say was up??? More info please!!!

Old 06-21-2009, 09:42 PM
bigskyhd
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 50 Likes on 5 Posts

Have you got that thing up on a lift in 6th gear running? Man, I'd love to get 20K out of any tires. I've been through them all, stock D402's, Mezzler 880's, Avons, Continentals, and I'm on my third set of E-3s currently. The E-3 is the best of the bunch (for me). I know everyone is different. But for price, longevity, handling, and durability....the E-3 is going to be my choice till something better comes along. I'm sure any of them can have a bad blem, but I don't know why you'd even consider switching if you're getting 20K out of your tires.

Old 06-21-2009, 09:45 PM
Araba Shriner
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry to hear - There have been a bunch of positive feedback on the Elite 3 tires here at hdforums, and my experience with the E3's has been very good.

Old 06-21-2009, 10:02 PM
capt_caveman
Road Captain

Riteway - I ordered the tire from Dennis Kirk. I haven't talked to them just returned the tire. Unfortunately, I don't have the time to have them ship another one. Yesterday was the only day I had to get the tire replaced.

BigSkyHD - What can I say. I guess I'm a true geezer on a geezer glide. I ride fairly conservatively but still do a lot of 2-up riding. I don't know for sure how many miles are on the tire. I bought the bike with a little over 12K on it. I'm guessing the tires were not the originals but I don't really know. I changed the rear last year before heading out the Milwaukee for the 105th. I had put about 10K on the bike by then. The rear tire wasn't quite worn out yet but close enought to change before a long trip. I have 31k on the bike now so I've put almost 20k on the front tire myself. The rear tire has almost 10k on it and when I checked it had 7/32 left.

I've heard a lot of good things about the Elite 3's. I'm not putting them down. Just bad luck with the one I got.

Old 06-21-2009, 10:25 PM
VTwin-Goodies
Sponsor
Received 1,948 Likes on 1,932 Posts

At least the shop noticed the defect and told you about. I have heard numerous stories about dealers blaming it on the rider, etc. I would call Dunlop and let them know. Maybe they'll refund your money and send a new tire...free. That is what I would request for my trouble.

Old 06-21-2009, 10:26 PM
txfxstrider
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 86 Likes on 55 Posts

Man, with the mileage you are getting with the D402s, I would not consider anything else unless you have had some problem like handling or whatever. I believe in sticking with a winner.

I am getting ready to replace my rear and thought about E3s based on what I have read here but have pretty much decided to stay with the D402 after realizing that I have had nothing to complain about except that it only has 1/32 to 2/32 tread left after just turning 9k miles.

Old 06-21-2009, 10:56 PM
spanky73
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

20k is about the average on the dunlops for the front and I get about 10k on the rear. I have always run 40psi front and back all the time.

Old 06-22-2009, 05:41 AM
elPrez
Stellar HDF Member
Received 488 Likes on 336 Posts

GREAT! I'm expecting my Elite 3 to arrive this afternoon, from Dennis Kirk. Sorry to hear about your defect, sure hope it was a fluke. We head out for the Tail in two weeks and I want to get some miles on the new tire before the trip.

Old 06-22-2009, 06:41 AM
capt_caveman
Road Captain

Originally Posted by HarleyGoodies
At least the shop noticed the defect and told you about. I have heard numerous stories about dealers blaming it on the rider, etc. I would call Dunlop and let them know. Maybe they'll refund your money and send a new tire...free. That is what I would request for my trouble.
HarleyGoodies - that probably not a bad idea, at least to let them know about the defect. I already returned the tire to Dennis Kirk but maybe they we at least cover my extra shipping costs.

txfxstrider - I was looking at the E3s for the reported better handling more than the milage. I'm definitely not complaining about the tire wear I'm getting compared to some of the other riders here. I'm always open to improvements that will keep the rubber side down.

edit - FWIW I have always run with 40psi rear and 36psi front.

Last edited by capt_caveman; 06-22-2009 at 07:15 AM.

Quick Reply: Bad luck with Elite 3 - Oh well.