Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PC-V Question

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2009, 09:48 AM
DamnYankee
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default PC-V Question

Installed the unit this morning, and have to say I am impressed with the map from Fuel Moto. Quick question for you guys with experience with the unit. Is there any advantage/disadvantage leaving the o2 sensors connected in lieu of using the eliminators?

Old 06-21-2009, 09:57 AM
RBFB
Intermediate

It isn't designed to use the 02 sensors. You need to use the eliminators. If you want a feedback system buy the auto tune module with the wideband 02 sensors.

Old 06-21-2009, 04:11 PM
JustDennis
Road Warrior
Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

You should not leave the sensors connected. The eliminators fool the ECM into thinking everything is ok? The autotune module has its own wideban sensors if you want to use that.

Old 06-21-2009, 05:21 PM
SE120RG
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The unit will not function correctly if you do not use the eliminators. The eliminators tell the ecm that the a/f ratio is right and then the pcv makes the adjusments based on the map you are running

Old 06-21-2009, 10:18 PM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 32 Posts

You could theoretically use the O2 sensors with the PCV, but if you did you would not benefit from the PCV's adjustments in closed-loop mode since AFR's are controlled not by the base map but by the O2 sensors. Closed-loop would be from idle to about 50% throttle position, although above that would be affected by the base map since the ECU would be in open-loop mode.

The only problem is that if the PCV's base map is set too rich in the closed-loop region it may be outside the O2-sensors' capacity and generate a fault code. You see this happening sometimes with IED's and their variants, which are totally different devices but the same effect. OTOH if the PCV base map is zeroed in the area covered by closed-loop it would probably work, but you would be running 14.6:1 AFR between about 50% TP and below.

I've never heard of anyone running the stock O2-sensors with the PCV and agree with RBFB that if you want to run closed-loop you should buy the optional Auto-Tune kit. That will allow closed-loop throughout the RPM & TP range.

Old 06-22-2009, 07:53 AM
rjmac53
Extreme HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

good info...

Old 06-22-2009, 08:41 AM
DamnYankee
Advanced

Thanks everyone, as always. I wasn't sure if it acted in the same manner as PCIII, where I read "My Power Commander came with O2 eliminators, should I use these and what are they?
On bikes that use an O2 sensor in the stock exhaust have a closed loop area that can not be adjusted by the Power Commander alone. If you make adjustments with the PCIII in the closed loop area the O2 sensor will sense these changes and the ECM will alter the fuel curve accordingly. If you want to have full fuel control over the entire RPM range of your bike then you will need to bypass the closed loop area which the O2 eliminators will accomplish. If you are looking for the best fuel economy and not worried about making changed to the closed loop area you can leave the stock O2 sensors connected and still make changes outside of the closed loop area with the PCIII. "